• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Roster Projection Update

Jeremy Igo

This is how you know our offense is at DEFCON 1: we're looking forward to 3 TE sets. 

I would have been looking forward to them anyway but the numbers weren't there. Now they are, so the option is back on the table and I like it.

But please keep crying. I'm sure it will change things.

Edited by ItsNotGonnaBeAlright
Goddamn this software hates quotes

You mentioned his improvement at returner (which he ideally wouldn't ever need to play anyway), but how has he looked at gunner and has he been on any other coverage/return teams?

Agreed. Boykin's a proven ST performer and has shown receiving potential, though Jeremy makes a reasonable point about Bersin also practicing on ST. If Bersin looks just as good on ST during the games (since no contact during practice) and is the more consistent WR in practice, he'll have an edge over Boykin.

I think Bersin and Boykin both make it. I believe 6 WR's will stick.

Just a correction, Ginn is most-experienced after Cotch. 

I knew that. I plead 'posting too early with insufficient caffeine'. 

• Pie 1

If Boykin continues showing out in game situations, I could see them keeping him over Teddy Williams.  Williams won't see the field as a corner but Boykin could contribute at WR.

Great point, and actually exactly one I was going to make after looking over the projection.  I am thinking that Boykin would just plain have to suck throughout the remainder of the preseason to end up cut.  If he makes some more plays like the catch that he did in Buffalo, I don't see any scenario where Williams makes the roster to Boykin's detriment.  Plus, I believe that Boykin has been the better special teams guy in their respective careers.

Kelvin Benjamin's injury has forced the roster projection to change, but not in a way you might expect. 

Offense - 25

Quarterback - 3
Cam Newton
Derek Anderson
Joe Webb

Note: Remember, Webb can also play that large possession receiver spot if needed. 

Running Back - 3
Jonathan Stewart
Cameron Artis-Payne
Jordan Todman

Note: These three backs plus Mike Tolbert is enough running power to win any game on the schedule, period. 

Fullback - 1
Mike Tolbert

Tight End - 4
Greg Olsen
Ed Dickson
Marcus Lucas
Richie Brockel

Note: With the Panthers utilizing the two tight end set more frequently, they are going to need more than two pass catching tight ends. Marcus Lucas impressed both in camp and preseason game 1, more so than Simonson. 

Wide Receiver - 5
Devin Funchess
Corey Brown
Ted Ginn
Brenton Bersin
Jerricho Cotchery

Note: Well, I have taken Kelvin Benjamin off the list and have not replaced him. I feel the Panthers will now keep 5 wide outs, a pretty typical number across the league. Instead they will opt for a third pass catching tight end who can also contribute on special teams. Why add another receiver that is exactly like two guys already on the roster and not activate him on game days? 

Offensive Line - 9
Michael Oher
Andrew Norwell
Ryan Kalil
Trai Turner
Mike Remmers
Daryl Williams
Chris Scott
Amini Silatolu 
Nate Chandler

Note: Panthers could opt to waive Brian Folkerts and use Mike Remmers as the backup center. This frees up roster space and makes room for the day that Daryl Williams is starting (it will happen this season). Williams has been the most impressive rookie overall in camp. 

Defense: 25

Defensive Line - 9
Charles Johnson
Star Lotulelei 
Kawaan Short
Frank Alexander
Kony Ealy
Colin Cole
Dwan Edwards
Mario Addison
Kyle Love

Note: Panthers still hang on to Kyle Love due to injury concerns with Star. Love was the player that was brought up when Lotulelei was first injured in January. 

Linebacker - 6
Thomas Davis
Luke Kuechly
Shaq Thompson
AJ Klein
David Mayo
Jason Trusnik 

Note: I have added Trusnik here due to how poor punt coverage teams looked in preseason game 1. Clearly the Panthers need all the special teams help they can get. 

Safety - 4
Roman Harper
Tre Boston
Kurt Coleman
Colin Jones

Corners - 6
Josh Norman
Bene Benwikere
Charles Tillman
Teddy Williams
Melvin White
TJ Heath

Note: Like Trusnik, I have added special teams ace Williams here. Carrington Byndom back on practice squad. 

Special Teams - 3

Kicker - Graham Gano
Punter - Brad Nortman
Long Snapper - JJ Jansen 

Practice Squad - 10
Carrington Byndom
Lee Ward
Damiere Byrd
Brandon Wegher 
David Foucault
Adarius Glanton
Dean Marlowe
Martin Wallace
(unkown player)

(unkown player)

View full article

Differences I have, is Teddy Williams sucked against the Bills so I dropped him plus Jones can backup Bene at nickel if necessary. Trusnik did nothing noteworthy on special teams, Glanton was more productive on the field. I'm taking a flyer on Cox as Horton's looked bad at DE and did nothing in defending the run his supposed specialty). Also I'd rather have 10 d-lineman than 10 secondary players. 

I kept Boykin over Lucas, simply because I believe were one more WR injury away from needing him. Plus replacing  tight end of Lucas' caliber in a pinch ( if injury dictates would be easier than finding a WR to replace Boykin)

also also pulling the plug on the Nate Chandler expiremnt and counting on Silatolu to be able to fill in better than he could.

I also kept Folkerts instead of Chandler. Reasoning behind this if, Kali and Remmers go down in same game we are still protected with a viable center

3QB Newton, Anderson, Webb
3HB Stewart,Artis-Payne, Todman
6WR Benjamin, Funchess, Ginn, Brown, Cotchery, Bersin 
3TE Olsen, Dickson, Brockel
4T, Oher, Remmers, Williams,Silatolu
3 G, Norwell,turner, Scott, 
2C Kalil, Folkerts
1FB Tolbert 

5DE Johnson, Alexander, Ealy, Addison, Cox
5DT Lotulelei, Short, Cole, Dwan, Love
6LB Luke, TD, Shaq, Klein, Glanton, Mayo
5CB, Norman, Tillman, Bene, White, Heath
4S, Harper, Coleman, Boston, Jones, 

Edited by panther4life

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1972898-why-mike-mccarthy-is-so-high-on-packers-wr-jarrett-boykin

I just can't believe Boykin doesn't make this team now. I would have to disagree that Boykin and Bersin are the same guy. Not even in the same league IMO. And if Boykin and Cotch are the same guy wouldn't you rather have the 25 year old version? Even though ARod can probably make a ton of guys look good, those catches were very difficult in traffic. He may be one of the slowest skill players on the field, but he knows how to make people miss and he knows how to use his size. That's something that's only coach-able to a certain extent. Some guys are just inherently physical.