• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Texans O'Brien unsure if Hoyer is still starter

R0CKnR0LLA

Texans coach Bill O'Brien said he is unsure if Brian Hoyer is still his starting quarterback.

Hoyer was benched in the fourth quarter of Week 1 with the Texans down 27-9. Hoyer struggled to move the offense, absorbed four sacks and turned the ball over twice before being yanked. The Texans want their quarterback to be a game manager, and Hoyer failed in that regard on Sunday. Ryan Mallett could start Week 2 against the Panthers.

The Texans benched Brian Hoyer in favor of Ryan Mallett with 6:10 left in the fourth quarter of their Week 1 loss to Kansas City.
There's probably already a quarterback controversy in Houston. Hoyer went 18-of-34 passing for 244 yards, one touchdown, one interception, and a fumble lost in about three and a half quarters of work.

Yeah, I understand they don't have a guy they drafted or invested a lot in, but I'm surprised with just how short that leash was for Hoyer. 

Regardless, we have made Brady Look pedestrian at our best, so I'm not too worried about who they trot out there next week, especially if we get Star back. 

I find it weird because when he broke the news to the guys on Hard Knocks he said that he was fully behind hoyer so he didn't have to worry about being yanked if he played bad. Then in three quarters of the first game he pulls him. I think Mallet is better but it's just strange after saying the exact opposite on national TV 

They still have Watt so the game will still be tough.  A QB problem does help ease me a bit with the likely scenario that Luke doesn't clear Concussion protocol before the end of the week in order to play Sunday.  Our only saving grace is a home game so we don't have a travel day, but I'm not sure that even if cleared Saturday he would play much because of lack of knowledge of the game plan most likely.

They still have Watt so the game will still be tough.  A QB problem does help ease me a bit with the likely scenario that Luke doesn't clear Concussion protocol before the end of the week in order to play Sunday.  Our only saving grace is a home game so we don't have a travel day, but I'm not sure that even if cleared Saturday he would play much because of lack of knowledge of the game plan most likely.

It's not like he'll be locked up in solitary confinement. He will know the game plan. If he's cleared before 1 p.m. on Sunday, he will play. 

Archived