• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Damiere Byrd cut from PS: OT Pierce Burton signed to PS

Mark S

To be honest he really didn't get much of a chance in preseason. No one really knows if he is good or not. I'm guessing he is not great because of our need at WR. 

From what I can tell, he seems to be one of those guys who looks fantastic until you're in full pads.

Unfortunately for him, the actual games are played in full pads.

Well they haven't yet, so I'm holding out hope.

Byrd has proven that he could run really fast.  Unfortunately, he hasn't proven that he can reliably get open and catch a pass or take a punt back for a big gain.

This is why I always shake my head when people go nuts over a super speed guy with suspect hands/football skills.  I'm sure Usain Bolt could outrun every defensive back in the league, but I'm not signing him to play receiver.

Byrd basically only played in a couple of games as a receiver, and he absolutely did prove that he could get open. Now what he did in practice may be another story altogether, but we will never know. Jeremy said that he was making an impression with what little reps that he did get. Unfortunately for him, he couldn't handle special teams, and little receivers tend to have to do that to increase their value.

I'm sure Usain Bolt could outrun every defensive back in the league, but I'm not signing him to play receiver.

Yeah, they keep hoping that size and speed will translate to starting NFL talent, but guys like Bob Hayes and Antonio Gates are the rare exceptions. 

I guess they got the 'rough' off of Byrd and found no diamond. 

From what I can tell, he seems to be one of those guys who looks fantastic until you're in full pads.

Unfortunately for him, the actual games are played in full pads.

I really don't know, he had one game that he made a few good catches then he lost snaps the next two games.  Like I said I'm not really sure. 

Archived