• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Olsen on Pace for Another Career Year

Jackofalltrades

When Kelvin Benjamin went down in July we all thought we were doomed. One glimmer of hope was the presence of Greg Olsen who eclipsed the 1000 yard mark for the first time in his career the preceeding season. Conventional wisdom suggested he would struggle this year without KB, allowing defenses to focus on taking Olsen away. 

They've tried.

They've failed.

Despite being Cam's favorite target and Carolina's most legitimate receiver, thus the focal point of defenses, Greg is on pace for new career highs in all three major catagories. After 11 weeks he has 53 receptions for 788 yards and 6 TD's. Last year he finished the season with 6 TD's and he's only 220 yards from the yardage mark. He is 31 receptions away from that mark. It's fun to imagine where he'll end up at the end of the season, especially with the emergence of Devin Funchess.

What's more? Greg doesn't give a rip about stats. As long as the wins keep coming he's content to live in the background but fans know how important he is, not just as a receiver but as a blocker and as a leader. He's the consummate pro.

Greg Olsen has been one of our team MVP's yet hasn't garnered the attention he's due because we have so many people playing so well. I can't convey how happy I am that we robbed Chicago and brought him to Carolina where he quickly became one of my all time favorite Panthers.

In conclusion, I love Olsen.

http://www.nfl.com/player/gregolsen/2495700/careerstats 

3 minutes ago, PoundCat said:

I don't know....I think he is widely recognized as one of the top 2 or 3 TEs in the league, and is doing well in pro bowl voting, is he not? He's starting to get his just due.

Agree. It is hard to say he isn't getting his due. As you said folks generally put him second behind Gronk and teams often game plan for him. He is often considered the best TE in the NFC.

What makes Greg such a fantastic player is that he is the total package.

There have been plenty of guys before him who had the size, and talent, but didn't have the character, and leadership to put it altogether.

He is currently right there with Gronkowski in yards, ypa, and touchdowns. There is no doubt he is a top 2 TE right now.

34 minutes ago, nctarheel0619 said:

He's no Gronk but easily the 2nd best TE in the league.  

I was interested to note at PFF that Olsen has a higher receiving grade than Gronk, and a higher pass blocking grade.  But his run blocking grade is AWFUL!

Gronk is 1st overall among TEs

rank / overall / receiving / run block / pass block

88   CAR  Greg Olsen             7   80.5       96.3      22.3       86.4
87   NE    Rob Gronkowski      1   97.2        95.7      91.6      

Archived