• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Senior Bowl Anybody Watching?

weyco2000

Shawn Oakman will be the best DL from this draft.

I had my doubts as a I bought into the media spin of him being great physically, but having average tape.

After looking at his games over the past few weeks, he is playing within the Baylor system. His discipline, patience, hand play, and awareness are exceptional. He plays more like a stalker than an attacker at the DE position and his snap attack is unreal. Oakman will carry over to the NFL game very well. I believe if you told Oakman to focus on hunting the QB, he would dominate.

This is what bothers me with scouts evaluating college talent for the NFL level. They value the prototypical athlete with text book mechanics. The talent level at the NFL level is close to even. The important factors that separate players at the NFL level are discipline, self efficacy, reaction time, first step quickness, reflex conditioning and cognitive processing speed.

You need to look no further than Kawann Short coming out of Purdue. Short was touted as athletically being a first round talent, but there were knocks on him due to his style of play and build. His frame was out of proportion with thin legs, his play to play effort was questionable, his initial moves can stall and slow him making him a non-factor.

Short took a hit on his scouting report due to the defensive system Purdue played, which is much like the system Baylor plays. They put more emphasis on patience and discipline with their DL than they do aggressively attacking to the ball. Team players who fill their role and trust their teammates typically get downgraded by scouts who are looking for the consistently dominant players.

Shawn Oakman is a player the Panthers need in the DL rotation.

9 hours ago, CPantherKing said:

Shawn Oakman will be the best DL from this draft.

I had my doubts as a I bought into the media spin of him being great physically, but having average tape.

After looking at his games over the past few weeks, he is playing within the Baylor system. His discipline, patience, hand play, and awareness are exceptional. He plays more like a stalker than an attacker at the DE position and his snap attack is unreal. Oakman will carry over to the NFL game very well. I believe if you told Oakman to focus on hunting the QB, he would dominate.

This is what bothers me with scouts evaluating college talent for the NFL level. They value the prototypical athlete with text book mechanics. The talent level at the NFL level is close to even. The important factors that separate players at the NFL level are discipline, self efficacy, reaction time, first step quickness, reflex conditioning and cognitive processing speed.

You need to look no further than Kawann Short coming out of Purdue. Short was touted as athletically being a first round talent, but there were knocks on him due to his style of play and build. His frame was out of proportion with thin legs, his play to play effort was questionable, his initial moves can stall and slow him making him a non-factor.

Short took a hit on his scouting report due to the defensive system Purdue played, which is much like the system Baylor plays. They put more emphasis on patience and discipline with their DL than they do aggressively attacking to the ball. Team players who fill their role and trust their teammates typically get downgraded by scouts who are looking for the consistently dominant players.

Shawn Oakman is a player the Panthers need in the DL rotation.

But can we get him at 32nd pick?

Archived