• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jaylon Smith

unicar15

1 hour ago, The Huddler said:

Im lost

Jaylon Smith suffered a knee injury in a bowl game in which he tore his LCL and MCL. This isn't of great concern as multiple athletes have recovered well from this injury and ensuing surgery. There were reports that he may have nerve damage specifically the peroneal or fibular nerve. The fibula is the outside bone of your leg below your knee- while it's not a weight bearing bone (your tibia or shin bone does that) the nerve that courses along it is really important.

Why? Because of the associated condition called "foot drop": here are some associated symptoms 

• Inability to point toes toward the body (dorsi flexion)
  • Pain
  • Weakness
  • Numbness (on the shin or top of the foot)
  • Loss of function of foot
  • High-stepping walk (called steppage gait or footdrop gait)

Now nerves are tricky because it's really impossible to tell how much of it will recover and if the damage is permanent, this outcome is further obscured by the fact that atheletes (particularly ones with millions on the line) keep these things really close to the vest. 

I had never heard of an AFO- but apparently its a brace for someone with a peroneal nerve injury. 

source: M1

49 minutes ago, ttiger2004 said:

I had ACL/LCL surgery 18 months ago, I can tell you personally, I never had nerve palsy. Just shaking my head how in the heck he's managed to get it after surgery.

he didn't get it from surgery unless the doctor was that kid from FL. he got the nerve damage at the moment he was injured and his camp has been really hush hush about it 

4 hours ago, SOJA said:

he didn't get it from surgery unless the doctor was that kid from FL. he got the nerve damage at the moment he was injured and his camp has been really hush hush about it 

They're saying he didn't have the nerve issue til after the surgery. He's 7 wks out from surgery, should have his brace on to keep that knee mobilize, using crutches. Recovery time from an ACL/LCL tear, 9 to 12 month. Him trying to rush back, he's doing more harm then good, which could be causing the nerve issue. People don't realize when they are making those incisions, they're cutting many little nerves to get to those ligaments. Just some insight from someone whose gone down this road and whoever is giving him advice, is going to screw up his life big time.

1 hour ago, ttiger2004 said:

They're saying he didn't have the nerve issue til after the surgery. He's 7 wks out from surgery, should have his brace on to keep that knee mobilize, using crutches. Recovery time from an ACL/LCL tear, 9 to 12 month. Him trying to rush back, he's doing more harm then good, which could be causing the nerve issue. People don't realize when they are making those incisions, they're cutting many little nerves to get to those ligaments. Just some insight from someone whose gone down this road and whoever is giving him advice, is going to screw up his life big time.

dude sorry but no- they are cutting cutaneous sensory nerves but your peroneal nerve is a BIG nerve they would intentionally avoid cutting. It's one of two divisions of your sciatic nerve, the biggest nerve in the body and literally impossible to accidentally cut into.

Here's a pic of the injury

jaylon-smith.jpg?w=616

He tore his ligaments on this play AND he hurt his peroneal nerve- likely from his fibula being jammed into it. 

I have no idea what his treatment plan is but the reason why this didn't get announced till after the surgery is because nerve healing in the PNS occurs in random directions and it takes awhile to see how much the nerve recovers function. 

Sucks for the kid, he's one of the best college linebackers ive ever seen. That being said, with the roster we have an only 2 real holes on the team, i wouldnt mind us investing a 3rd or 4th on this guy and see if he can ever return to form. It doesnt kill us if he never fully recovers but if he does we get an absolute steal

http://pantherswire.usatoday.com/2016/03/01/jaylon-smith-the-case-for-carolina/

Jaylon Smith and the Carolina Panthers

You now know who Jaylon Smith is, why he will fall out of the first round and what his potential is. The next question to answer is will the Panthers take him off their board or will they keep him on but only draft him if available in a certain round. Many teams want players to actually play their rookie years, weirdly enough the Panthers are not one of those teams. They try and get their rookies as much practice time, mental reps and easy end of game reps as possible before throwing them out on the field.

Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, Shaq Thompson, A.J. Klein, Ben Jacobs and David Mayo round out the Panthers linebacker corp. at the moment. Obviously they are pretty stacked at the position and do not need to add anyone to the group. That being said Thomas Davis is approaching 33 years of age and isn’t getting any younger. While some have a theory that he is a cyborg with his 3 ACL injuries and his broken arm that he has recovered from and performed better after each, he can’t play forever and injuries pile up. That is why the Panthers drafted Shaq Thompson last year. Thompson fits the pro comparison of Davis almost to the letter and showed flashes of his potential during the rookie season. So why, why on Earth would the Panthers draft yet another linebacker? Well the answer is pretty simple. Best Player Available(BPA). The Panthers adhere to a drafting philosophy known as BPA, this means they take the top player on their board that is available at their pick. If Jaylon Smith falls and the Panthers still have him on their board if he is the BPA they will take him.

Wrap Up

This may be the best scenario for Smith’s career. If Smith misses the 2016 season the Panthers won’t miss a beat. After the 2016 season if Smith is fully recovered and Thomas Davis is coming in at 34 years old the Panthers will likely rotate Smith in and give Davis ample rest in 2017. Interestingly enough Davis will likely retire after the 2017 season. Now you have a starting linebacker corp of Luke Kuechly, Shaq Thompson and Jaylon Smith. All quick, versatile, hard hitting, and smart. The linebacker corp. would remain among the NFL elite and would terrorize teams for years. The other way they can go with this, albeit a lot less likely, is Carolina moves Shaq Thompson to strong safety and then you have all four of these playmakers out on the field, and 3 when the Panthers play nickel.

Now all of this is what if, speculation situations. What should be taken away from this article is if Jaylon Smith is available late in the draft and the Panthers think that Smith can recover like Thomas Davis did, the Panthers will pull the trigger and draft a top 10 talent for pennies on the dollar. Let Gettlemagic begin.

Now this guy is writing/talking like its some sort of a given, which its not IMO.

But if our med guys check him out and give the OK?  Of course it would be a SUPER value in the 3rd or 4th round.

There are some good points to this article.  And it's true, that with few roster holes, we're not necessarily needing our 2016 draft picks to start right away, and in fact may even find it hard to get them enough snaps, as we did this year with CAP and Daryl Williams, and even Tre Boston from 2014..

I agree I'd be open to taking him in the 3rd if the medical prognosis is really solid.  But with the draft deep at Dline, CB, and C, all positions where we need more depth, I'd not want to take Smith in an early round. 

I've been approaching any mock draft I've been doing from a standpoint of "BPA except QB/LB" - at least in rounds 1-3.

Archived