• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jonathan Bullard, DT/DE, Florida

Ship

So, this evening I checked out the newest panthers.com fluff piece on Jonathan Bullard who is from Shelby, NC. He stuck out to me in the interview because I hadn't heard his name around here before and he seemed like a really happy/friendly guy with some personality.

http://www.panthers.com/media-vault/videos/Florida-DE-Jonathan-Bullard-has-eye-on-Panthers/f7345bf9-f456-4753-a0f7-8dc4808eba8a

From there, I checked out one of his highlight videos on youtube and man is he nasty. He is not just in the backfield, he is like 5 yards in the backfield right as the ball is snapped. His strength seems to be run stopping, he had 17.5 TFL last season. But, he also had some nice pass rushes and he has violence when he hits-- see the one where he pops the helmet of a Michigan RB off and takes him down (sound familiar?). He sticks out to me as slightly under the radar, Walterfootball has him ranked as the #10 DT, but i think that has to do with his ability to switch between DE and DT in a 4-3, something we covet. (see walterfootball.com/draft2016DT.php). Right now Walter has his range as round 2-3, but I'm not sure, I could see him moving up maybe even to our late first pick. If he is there at our 2nd round pick there is no doubt I would take him.

Some Combine Stats on Bullard: 6'3", 285, Benched 23 (Bosa did 24), Arms 33 5/8, Unofficial 40 time: 4.93, 10 yard split: 1.66, Vert. Jump: 32, Broad Jump: 116.

2015 Season: 66 tackles with 17.5 for a loss, 6.5 sacks and two passes batted

Comparisons: Muhammed Wilkerson, Michael Bennett

EDIT: Additional Stuff from CBS (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2000846/jonathan-bullard):

STRENGTHS: The broad-shouldered defender was asked to line up at virtually every spot along Florida's defensive line, but projects best as a base defensive end in the NFL, exhibiting the length, strength and toughness to intrigue scouts from 4-3 and 3-4 schemes, alike. Bullard is appropriately named as his game is about bullish power. He flashes an explosive burst off the ball, and does a nice job of getting his arms into passing lanes to distract quarterbacks.

Bullard's value lies in his ability to hold up at the point of attack in the running game. Exhibiting impressive lower-body strength, he anchors well and has the length to set the edge and keep containment responsibilities. He doesn't possess Dexter Fowler's nimble change of direction or explosive closing speed, but locates the ball quickly and shows good strength to latch on and drag down ballcarriers in his vicinity.

He also will receive praise from NFL scouts for his willingness to play through pain and still make an impact as a senior.

WEAKNESSES: Has a tendency to stand too upright and shows less-than ideal lateral agility to create space between he and blockers, limiting his ability to create a lane for himself to pursue the quarterback. High cut and plays with lower-body stiffness, showing some 'tweener traits. Overaggressive downhill and doesn't consistently come to balance in pursuit. Plays through pain, but often banged up and medical reports will be important.

IN OUR VIEW: Bullard is a classic two-gap run-stuffer with size, physicality and a blue-collar playing style. Teams will appreciate his no-nonsense game along with his positional and schematic versatility to play outside or inside. Bullard will attract some first-round attention.

Anyway, I know this isn't the in-depth analysis some other posters can put together on a prospect, but I don't have the patience or actual knowledge to break down a player for you all. Hopefully this brings some discussion and further review on this guy.

EDITED AGAIN TO UPDATE COMBINE STATS.

4 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Well, Gettleman does love his versatile DL guys.  Maybe a potential in the 2nd?

Yeah, maybe I'm just hyped on him right this minute in saying he could a 1st and I haven't watched too many players yet. I think he would be a great 2nd rounder though.

Yeah, I'm excited to add someone to the D-line early. He is basically the same size as CJ: one inch taller and 3 pounds heavier. He can come in and be stout on the run immediately and learn pass rush moves as he goes. He can also move inside on 3rd downs.

24 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I'd be surprised if he goes in the 1st.  A lot of 4-3 teams will likely view him as a tweener.  Not sure how 3-4 teams would view him as a DE.

He's a bit undersized to be a 4-3 3T, but weight can easily be added and he might just stay where he is to be a beast pass rusher. He would actually fit what we do really well. We need a replacement for Dwan and we could pair him with KK in 3rd and long packages. I do think we get a 3T in this draft but I think Bullard goes earlier than we want to draft one. Definite 2nd round pick possibility if he's still on the board.

He probably projects best as a 3-4 DE and I think he ultimately goes to a team in that scheme early-mid 2nd round. Likely that we would have to draft him at 30 if we want him.

Not a big fan of him as far as for us.  Don't think he's fast or flexible enough to play on the edge, thus the reason he's played DT at Florida.  He's a tweener for DT in the league.  He's an ideal for that 3-4 DE though, someone in between.  If we ran a 3-4 D he'd be my #2 choice behind Buckner at that DE spot.

Come to think of it. I think he would be perfect as the "elephant" end in a Seattle scheme which is the Michael Bennett role which is like a 3-4 DE but in a 4-3 scheme. ATL or JAX(if they didn't just overpay Jared Odrick last year) would be great spots for him to land and he would pair perfectly opposite Fowler or Beasley. I would really prefer that he doesn't end up in ATL. That'd be a fantastic pick for them especially if they got him in the 2nd.

No way Getts lets him get passed 62 if he's there but that's a long way for him to fall.

Archived