• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Is Atlanta taking Keanu Neal last night as bad as the Saints taking Kenny Vaccaro a few years ago in almost the exact same spot?

frash.exe

Just now, Promethean Forerunner said:

Vaccaro was severely overrated. The guy was basically a LB playing SS. His work ethic was horrific from early scouting reports. He showed up overweight to workouts. Nuff said.

However, Neal is at best a late second pick who got drafted in the Top 20.

It's kind of a tie at the moment.

Since you've mentioned it, someone said Atlanta could move Neal to linebacker.  If that happens, hopefully he won't turn out to be the next Derrick Brooks.

It's seems very similar I hope it returns similar results ie... saints allowed most receiving TDs last year and Vaccaro played all 16 games im pretty sure. Can't build from the outside in with no pressure no db's stand a chance and Atlanta gets no pressure except that one game oh never mind 

Just now, Promethean Forerunner said:

Hmmmm, interesting. Does he have sideline to sideline speed? I know he's a big hitter but he misses a lot of tackles.

He probably have that kind of speed.  Playing closer to the line is his specialty so perhaps being a linebacker may help his game.  If he adds some muscle, that could help with bringing down opposing backs and receivers.

The consensus knock on Neal from what I read in multiple reports is that he misses too many tackles and has just average ball skills.  That doesn't sound like a first round value to me.  His biggest draw is that he hits hard.  Sounds somewhat like Mike Mitchell to me - so he would have to play behind a solid pass rush.  In other words, ATL over drafted a guy that will have no help from their terrible front.

I'm hoping it turns out aweful for them, but I also don't subscribe to the belief that it was a bad pick just bc Mel Kiper and all these other random dudes had him lower in their mock drafts. He may have been high on several teams boards for all we know.

Vaccaro is underrated. He chases all of our "fast" WRs down.. holds Greg down pretty well with a huge size loss. Cant do poo to Cam but who can other than TJ Ward and Chancellor?

Don't think its that bad but they passed over tons of better choices. I mean wasnt Godfrey playing safety for them? So... yeah.. upgraded 

1 hour ago, Matthias said:

He probably have that kind of speed.  Playing closer to the line is his specialty so perhaps being a linebacker may help his game.  If he adds some muscle, that could help with bringing down opposing backs and receivers.

He ran a 4.62 40 at the Combine.

I'm pretty sure both Luke and TD are faster than that.

1 hour ago, Leeroy Jenkins PhD said:

Most boards had Neal as the 45th or so best prospect.  Which IMO is a huge reach!!

Not as crazy as the 49ers trading up to get the second best guard who many had near the 60th best prospect in the draft.

That's where most people had Shaq last year and they called it a reach.

Gettleman openly gushed about Garnett in his pre-draft press conference.

I heard "sideline to sideline" speed several times last night.  Also heard the falcons wanted someone to help cover Tight Ends.

I just feel like they are so far behind the curve it isn't fair.  Our defense has been designed to cover TE's since Gonzales and Graham were around.  Both Luke and Shaq were lauded for their ability to cover TE's.  

But I think they reached for him because he was a favorite of Quinn's at Florida

Archived