• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

It's Up to Steve Now (Mod edit... must read re: round 2&3 picks)

SCPantherFan90

Not the one you're thinking of though. I'm talking about Steve Wilks.

To add some perspective on the thought process that brought these two CB's to Carolina, you need to check out SPARQ. It's a formula that the Seahawks have been rumored to use that calculates a player's athleticism, which Bradberry and Worley did very well in. However, SPARQ only tells part of the story when it comes to a player's physical talents. It doesn't account for a player's measurables. Now, I'm not much of Twitter guy, but after hearing about our two prospects being high on the SPARQ scale, I went down an analytical rabbit hole that lead me to a man with the twitter handle, @NFLDrafter. He's come up with a system that combines SPARQ with another formula that grades measurables. It's a very interesting system he's developed, that provides a clear picture on the overall physical abilities of players and guess what? Bradberry and Worley have that in spades. They're combination of athletic ability and size put them in the Top 15 out of every position of this year's class. Feel free to disagree with the formula's used, but I personally found it extremely intriguing. Obviously this only accounts for a portion of what you like in a player. You still need to know if he's coachable, hard-working, fits into the scheme, etc. But, I think the Panthers always make sure those boxes are checked on every player they pick.

So, with no more Norman, what did Gettleman do? He just gave Steve Wilks the marble to sculpt two masterpieces. They might be raw, but considering the sheer physical talent possessed by both, three years down the road I feel safe to say that at least one of these two CB's will be a very good player for us.

There was an article a couple of years ago about the Panthers' philosophy regarding cornerbacks.  It's akin to a crap shoot for most of them because of the way college offenses are.  So, they're very high on physical ability and finding someone they think can be coached up.

Worked out pretty well for Benwikere, and I think that the current FO has shown enough that they get the benefit of the doubt for these latest two.

Anyone who's upset about Butler is still drunk from last night.

15 minutes ago, Cyberjag said:

There was an article a couple of years ago about the Panthers' philosophy regarding cornerbacks.  It's akin to a crap shoot for most of them because of the way college offenses are.  So, they're very high on physical ability and finding someone they think can be coached up.

Worked out pretty well for Benwikere, and I think that the current FO has shown enough that they get the benefit of the doubt for these latest two.

Anyone who's upset about Butler is still drunk from last night.

Agreed. People can talk about Gettleman reaching all they want, but the fact of the matter is that we just grabbed two guys with extremely high upside at a position we're thin at. I'm excited.

These are gonna be some of probably the most anticipated rookie deubts I can remember in a while. Most of our picks i've know what to expect for the most part because I've seen multiple games of them and know what type of player they are. I have no idea about these guys and this is the most research I've ever done before a draft. I have extreme confidence in our f.o and coaching staff however and can't wait to see these guys. If they can play we'll get it out of them.

this is why I like the Huddle. This is some really good information and I have never heard of SPARQ before.  Appreciate you digging this up.  I still think Carolina reached but it does make me feel a bit more comfortable about who they actually selected.

Archived