• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Rapoport: Panthers, Short engage in extension talks

jdpanther5

Short's agent is Joel Segal. Some of his recent big contracts were for Patrick Peterson(2014, $14M/year, highest for a CB at signing), Justin Houston(2015, $16.8M/year, highest for a LB or DE at signing), Markice Pouncy(2014, $8.8M/year, highest for a C at signing) and Mike Pouncey(2015, $8.9M/year, highest for a C at signing eclipsing his brothers deal from the year before).

Suffice to say, this is not the amateur hour production Josh Norman's agent was. I don't expect to get a big discount on this one. Suh money isn't happening so he won't be the highest paid DL but you can be sure Segal will be trying to get him in at 2nd highest paid DL.

1 minute ago, sharkkiller said:

Well, according to our old friend David "no relation" newton, it will be somewhere between 10.25 and 19 million per year. 

gee thanks David. Couldn't narrow it down any more than that? 

lol was that the seriously the estimate he gave?

Just now, Bartin said:

lol was that the seriously the estimate he gave?

http://espn.go.com/blog/carolina-panthers/post/_/id/20730/panthers-set-to-make-kawann-short-among-highest-paid-defensive-tackles

Don’t look for it to be in the $19 million a year range as Miami gave defensive tackle Ndamukong Suh in free agency last year.

But Short should be among the top five paid defensive tackles after tying Aaron Donald and Geno Atkins this past season for the most sacks among tackles with 11.

If you’re wondering where that might land his yearly average, it will be somewhere between No. 5 Corey Liuget (San Diego) at $10.25 million and Suh.

Indeed it was.

2 hours ago, CPF4LIFE said:

KK proved he was the best DT last year, not to mention he plays a position that's important and valued on this team. This isnt a norman case. Hardball only gets you so far. 

Homerism at it's finest.

2 hours ago, hepcat said:

Short is about to get PAID, but if negotiations don't go well he's got Vernon Butler as a backup plan.  Gettleman doing work this offseason.

The only way negotiations won't go well is if Short says he wants to be the highest paid DT in the league. Hopefully that's not the case. 

Generally when a player signs with a year left on his contract, the team can negotiate a discount.  The player gets money sooner and gives up a bigger contrat in lieu of a possible injury or reduced level of play.  Gman is probably offering top 10 but not top 5.  If KK wants that he'll have to get it next year.  There's always a tradeoff between risk and reward.

Pay that man!!!.... I can deal w/ Norman leaving but not KK..11 sacks...AllPro(2nd team) -Two Time Defensive Player of the Month(1st DT in NFL history) last year.... Im not going back to Fua and Mcclain...he's just starting to enter his prime... hell no 

Get dude locked up.. by any means.

I think DG's bargaining chip (Butler) isn't about how much money he'll give KK. It's going to be about the length of the deal IMO. As already said, KK is 27...kinda old it seems to be coming off a rookie deal in today's NFL. If KK is looking for 5-6 years? I think DG would be hesitant to give out a 6 year, 100+ million contract. I think Getts will be going into this as okay...I have no problem paying you A LOT. But I want to do it for sayyyyy 4 years. KK and his agent may want the biggest contract possible, and most guaranteed possible, now. I have no problem with him wanting that. But how many DTs, especially pass rushing ones, are still productive enough into their 30s to be worth a 15+ million dollar deal? (Honest question, cuz I can't think of examples) Even if you have to overpay, I personally would try doing it if it means you get the shorter contract.

And if Short continues to ball out in his prime, it works out for both parties as he gets another short (pun intended) contract when he's 31. If he wants say, a 6 year deal (he'd be 33 ending it...possibly his career in its twilight)...it may come from somewhere else. Enter Butler.

Archived