• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Carolina Panthers Roster Projection

Jeremy Igo

8 minutes ago, Untouchable said:

Looking at our Priority Free Agents the last few years:

2014 - Philly Brown ($15,000 signing bonus), Andrew Norwell ($12k)

2015 - Dean Marlowe ($15k), Arthur Miley ($15k)

2016 - Jeremy Cash ($20k)

All but one is generally expected to make the roster this year.  The only other one, Miley, is someone to keep an eye on as possibly getting that 5th DE spot too.

Nice post. 

I think Miley could make the roster (over Horton).  We certainly thought highly enough of him last season to keep him from being poached.

Also, to add to you 2016 list, I think Keyarris Garrett got $9,000.  Think I read that at the Observer.  Obviously not in the same ballpark as Cash (I was surprised at the difference, to be honest). 

DG is doing a very nice job with his PFA signings!  One of the reasons he is able to make some trades to move up to get players he likes... he's got confidence (and a track record) that he'll find some solid talent among the UDFAs.

Man you guys are throwing around "possession receiver" like some sort of slur. That's what smitty was for the second half of his career. That's what Brandon Marshall has always been; fitz, boldin, dez, too. Garrett's movement reminds me a little of Marshall and Owens (a little slower than T.O). There have been plenty HOF WRs that run 4.5 or worse so lack of blazing speed isn't so worrisome, to me.  If he can polish off his routes, he becomes and upgrade over Philly as WR#4 - similar speed, ability to get open on and catch the deep ball despite mediocre speed, taller, bigger.

If that is the case, then the question becomes do you want Philly, Byrd or Hill as WR#5? I personally keep Philly or Byrd. Byrd if you want speed. Philly if you want continuity on offense, route running, and very high floor. Byrd is a question mark. Hill has a high ceiling but and equally low floor. Oddly, though, in the scenario I just described, where KG upgrades over Philly, its possible that could take Philly completely out of the equation and actually make room for Byrd or Hill because of their speed.

I'm all for whichever WRs can prove they can play. I think Hill has been proving the exact opposite. I know you can't teach size and speed; but what you can teach and improve upon is catching the ball and running routes.... in the league long enough to be considered a veteran and we haven't seen Hill do either.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Untouchable said:

Looking at our Priority Free Agents the last few years:

2014 - Philly Brown ($15,000 signing bonus), Andrew Norwell ($12k)

2015 - Dean Marlowe ($15k), Arthur Miley ($15k)

2016 - Jeremy Cash ($20k)

All but one is generally expected to make the roster this year.  The only other one, Miley, is someone to keep an eye on as possibly getting that 5th DE spot too.

Wow, we've got another Priority Free Agent who we reportedly gave a 20K bonus to. 

Devon "Rockhead" Johnson

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article78658547.html

• Pie 2

14 minutes ago, KB_fan said:

Wow, we've got another Priority Free Agent who we reportedly gave a 20K bonus to. 

Devon "Rockhead" Johnson

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/sports/nfl/carolina-panthers/nfl-blog/article78658547.html

Look for him to be potentially that "4th TE" too. Clearly we are looking strongly at him to be Tolbert's future replacement. 

@Jeremy Igo has Trai Turner ever once slid over to RT in practice that you've observed?

It just seems to me, at his size and agility, that he could at the very least play that position if called upon.  Which would be a piece with the rest of the OL seemingly having cross-trained at multiple positions over the years.

Now I'm not saying I'd rather he play RT than RG, just saying if there was an "emergency" on the right side, could we slide him over and let someone else play RG?

Jeremy,

Did you find this easier to do than in the past? 

To me, we are going to leave a lot of good players out there for other teams. If Hill makes the roster, do not be surprised in Garrett does not suffer a season-ending injury.

I think the TE position is going to change--We want one that can block (Since the super bowl was not enough motivation for Dickson) and we want one that can play from the backfield.  Do not be surprised to see Dickson cut.

I think this list is very appropriate for May. We haven't even had OTAs. Makes sense that the roster from last year mixed in with some practice squad guys and draft picks would be favorites to make the 53. There is still a good chance for guys to make the roster. For me the most interesting group will be the corners.  The success of our defense will be largely impacted by our corners.  This division has plenty of talented and big receivers which put extreme pressure on a secondary particularly on rookies with no experience. It is a good thing that our team has several big guys I  the mix.

I think we bring in a vet corner and put one of the depth backups  on the IR list with the ability to return. By that time we will know if we need the vet corner  or not. 

By the way, I tallied up the WR vote tallies in Igo's "pick your WR" thread...

Ginn, Brown, Garrett were the picks.  [KB & Funchess were assumed to be automatic locks]

Vote totals:

1.  TED GINN JR:   61 votes

2.  PHILLY BROWN:  49 votes

3. KEYARRIS GARRETT:  41 votes

4. Byrd:  22 votes

5.  Hill:  12 votes

6 (tie)   Bersin & Norwood with 7 votes each

8.  Cobi Hamilton:  1 vote

• Pie 1