• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What is it About Bersin and Pre Season

chknwing

2 hours ago, O-Ther said:

One happened with less than 2 minutes to go when we had no timeouts and down by a field goal and cost us our last offensive possession

In a practice game.

I didn't like the Bersin hate either but the situations aren't the same. Bersin had the whole season behind him.

3 hours ago, O-Ther said:

One happened with less than 2 minutes to go when we had no timeouts and down by a field goal and cost us our last offensive possession

Bersin made people cringe and turn away worrying whenever he was the return man. He muffed kicks multiple times which led to the hate people have for him as a returner. Now most of us hated seeing him only as a returner but loved him as a WR since he has reliable hands when we need a catch. Byrd so far has only had one game and up until that single muffed punt he was great. Now if he is to continue muffing kicks in the next couple of games he will become hated like you want him to be and even more so he will likely not make the roster. As for now Bersin is great as a WR but I never want to see him as a returner while Byrd I want to see return more.

There must be a good reason he's been on the team for as long as he has. Rivera and Proehl have confidence in him. And as long as he is a receiver on the field, we all should. The guy flat out catches passes and moves the chains. He isn't one to break loose and pick up a lot of yards after the catch, but then again, neither was Ricky Proehl in his best days. He just had a knack for finding that spot in the zone, settling into it and surehand-catching the ball. 

The student has learned well.

I have a feeling his spot on the team this year is secure.

I've never been a fan of Bersin, but I must give him credit.  He rebounded from an ugly few days at camp and looked incredibly reliable last night.  At this point I hope he makes the final 53.  He's earned it.  I think Byrd is on as well, which would mean we are keeping 6 recievers.  We will see I guess.

Bersin also gets judged from 2014 when the receivers were kb, a rookie philly, and a bunch of bersin like possession receivers. There weren't any speedy guys to open up the defense so all the possession guys had a hard time getting open. 

Btw, last year I probably would have kept bersin instead of cotchery since they are basically the same except for age

Bersin had a great game for a preseason game last night, but this rhetoric about him being clutch in real games is greatly exaggerated. He had a whopping 9 catches last year and 13 the year before that. Some were third down catches, but none won us a game or anything. He has one career TD... Even putting aside his utter ineptitude as a returner, his performance as a WR (22 catches, 270 yards, one TD, three fumbles) would not even warrant a PS spot on the vast majority of teams. You can't have more receiving fumbles than TDs and be considered clutch. I can only guess it's the novelty of a white WR that keeps his little fan club going. 

Oh and the comparison to Proehl only confirms my theory.  Proehl played 17 years and only two did he have less than 23 catches and those two years were shortened, only two games played his last year and a eight game year in the middle of his career. He averaged 39 catches a year for his career and he was rarely a starter. 

Archived