• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

You are handed the keys to the stadium. You have just been nomiated GM of the Carolina Panthers. What do you do right now to turn things around?

Datawire

If I were GM, and if I could redo 2016's offseason, I'd grab at any top DE that went loose on FA opening day. I'd let Charles go if he didn't accept a 1.2 million dollar deal for 1 year for good, and retain Josh Norman on the franchise tag, or go as far as $14 million 5 years for him. I'd move Ealy over to his Superbowl spot, and hope that makes him comfortable for the season. I'd go for Eric Weddle to shore up our missing Vet presence in the secondary. I'd go for a trade for a tackle, probable LT, and replace Remmers with Williams, as he's been decent honestly, and not extend Oher but rather retain him in a backup role. I'd draft Hunter Henry in the first, Bradberry 2nd, a decent looking speedster in the 3rd at WR, then Worley in the 4th then shore up depth. 

The risk with this move is making KK Short look good, since we'd have good DEs helping him out, and I honestly believe Ealy would be better at his superbowl DE position. Of course retaining JNo the next year would be tough.

Unfortunately, that's not possible now. What would I do right now? Nothing. It's really too late to do anything for this season. Doing so would be a waste of money, since this season is down the dumpster. Rather, I'd focus on next year, and fix up obvious holes where there are. I'd effectively do what I would've go and look for a Veteran top 3 FA safety, and a top DE FA, and shore up the tackle position like I would've done this season. Consider who the 2017 FAs are:

Ted Ginn Jr. WR 31 CAR TBD $2,775,000 UFA -
Charles Johnson DE 30 CAR TBD $2,562,500 UFA Market Value
Mike Remmers RT 27 CAR TBD $2,553,000 UFA -
Mario Addison DE 29 CAR TBD $1,620,000 UFA -
Kawann Short DT 27 CAR TBD $1,473,192 UFA Market Value
Teddy Williams CB 28 CAR TBD $1,010,000 UFA -
Colin Jones FS 28 CAR TBD $885,000 UFA -
Robert McClain CB 28 CAR TBD $810,000 UFA -
Michael Griffin FS 31 CAR TBD $728,823 UFA -
A.J. Klein ILB 25 CAR TBD $722,825 UFA -
Kyle Love DT 29 CAR TBD $625,882 UFA -
Leonard Johnson CB 26 CAR TBD $600,000 UFA -
Chris Scott G 29 CAR TBD $538,823 UFA -
Brenton Bersin WR 26 CAR TBD $458,822 UFA -

Now what would I do looking at these contracts? I'd just make sure the solid backups get their money, I'd let Klein go for a starting LB role in another team, or let him come back cheap as a backup if that doesn't work out. KK will realize his 2016 campaign was a failure, but I'd pay him around $8-10 million a year, basically a steal considering defensive ends have been taken care of via free agency. I'd let go of FS Michael Griffin, Teddy Williams, and Charles Johnson, and keep everyone else for cheap, but maybe even give Kyle Love a bit of a raise for his good work so far. I'd retain everyone else on the list as well, for a similar price, cheaper, or maybe a little bit higher based on performance solely.

I'd make sure we wouldn't be in a bad situation cap wise, but not leave a whole lot of money rotting and doing nothing. For the draft, I'd focus on getting a solid DE in the 1st or 2nd, a good franchise OT prospect as well, and of course grab one of those many good RB's in this upcoming class. I'd leave a goal of around $5-9 million in cap space, or as much as possible, but not leaving so much behind we risk being too cheap and not going big. 

Now do I think what Gettleman has done is bad? No, it keeps a window open longer, cause it's obvious we won't be competitive next year dealing with these contracts if we had made a splash. Gettleman has let us have a longer window, but it comes down to whether our players can last that long. I think Gettleman has been a bit cheap in some of his dealings, but I mean it's not terrible. But yes, Gettleman's theory on no window is proving wrong, as obviously Cam isn't going to last long at this rate. There is a window, but to remain competitive like the Patriots, you need to make sure all positions are shored up, and don't overhype players that won't meet expectations. I believe 15-1 really disguised our OT and DE problems that we had, and I think even the coaches believed that we'd be fine. But these are problems we need to assess and fix soon if we want to get Cam, and our Vets a much deserved SB ring.

First, repaint the field with a giant-ass Panther logo that doesn't just go from the 45yd-to-45yd at midfield but from the 25yd-to-25yd. A logo so big you can see it from the Moon.

Second, get better food concessions and beer prices. Our fans deserve more, so let's give 'em better quality munchies.

Keep the social media team. They rock.

Make all the coaches wear camo cargo shorts with a leather webbed belt for all game activities. 

wait, what was the question again?

Considering everything from the standpoint of the amount of contracts coming up next year, I think Gettleman might've purposely been cheap, so he'd be able to go all out next year. Considering KK isn't doing too well, he'll come cheaper than paying him moeny this year. I think Dave strikes next year, building up with solid proven DEs and Safeties from FA, going for a tackle possibly via trade if no big names appear on the UFA, and striking in the draft for projects for the future. Keep around a $4-8 million retaining of cap and I think we'd see 3-4 years of competitiveness starting next year.

If I stepped in right now I'd go for it offensively on every 4th down and less than 5 and any 4th down on the opponents side of the field.  This defense isn't going to stop anyone with regularity, what's the point in making them drive further for a score?  It just eats a potential conversion on 4th down, eats our T.O.P, and puts our defense on the field longer.  Who care's if they have a 40 yard drive for 7 or a 90 yard drive?  If we're going down in flames at least make it entertaining.

Archived