• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Let's have a rational conversation about our GM

Ricky Spanish

Just now, Kevin Greene said:

Yeah I see your big thread is on a possible Coaching change that ain't gonna happen. So rational or ridiculous?

First line of that thread actually states that I don't believe it'll happen.

We're just spitballing what would happen if it did.

I don't see Gettleman getting fired until he gets the chance at picking his own coaching staff. If we're putting the entire front office on notice this is the second time now Rivera's job's been on the line. Ron this offseason and Dave the next at the earliest and the way this team loves to finish looking strong I wouldn't even bet on that.

5 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

Put together a 15-1 team????

Cam played out of his mind last year and it had absolutely nothing to do with Gettleman. Our receivers were still awful last season and our Oline was top ten in sacks per attempt.

That's Hyperbolic. Gettleman most certainly did have something to do with last year. Who lead the team in Receiving TDs last season? Ginn. GMan brought him in.

Who was our #2 receiver? Cotchery, GMan brought him in.

Tillman contributed, as did Coleman, Allen, Thompson, Norwell, Turner, KK, Star, Klein stepped in while Luke was out.

Those are all Gettleman guys that were brought in and contributed significantly to our team last year. Cam had a hell of a year but he certainly didn't do it alone. 

People are still unwilling to admit we were cash strapped still in 2016 and had to play FA lightly. People are still unwilling to admit Daves first two rounds picks are hurt and were picks at needed places. People are still unwilling to admit Josh got what he wanted and was not going to be happy with anything less. 

If you're not willing to admit Dave has given the Panther good talent to work with you have forgotten the Hurney era and you probably have forgotten Ron has never had back to back winning seasons. 

9 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

That's Hyperbolic. Gettleman most certainly did have something to do with last year. Who lead the team in Receiving TDs last season? Ginn. GMan brought him in.

Who was our #2 receiver? Cotchery, GMan brought him in.

Tillman contributed, as did Coleman, Allen, Thompson, Norwell, Turner, KK, Star, Klein stepped in while Luke was out.

Those are all Gettleman guys that were brought in and contributed significantly to our team last year. Cam had a hell of a year but he certainly didn't do it alone. 

I'm supposed to give him credit for bringing in players no other teams wanted? LOL. A lot those guys had no other option but to sign with us.

Shaq barely even played last year for god sakes. Your giving him credit for wasting a first round pick on a backup LB that still not even starting yet.

Ginn also led the NFL in dropped TD and yards lost to drops. Gettleman passed on so much more obvious talent for stop gap players. We could of had Crabtree for 3 million. Sammy Coates or Stefon Diggs. 

Cam taking this team to 15-1 was a curse in disguise 

3 minutes ago, Snake said:

People are still unwilling to admit we were cash strapped still in 2016 and had to play FA lightly. People are still unwilling to admit Daves first two rounds picks are hurt and were picks at needed places. People are still unwilling to admit Josh got what he wanted and was not going to be happy with anything less. 

If you're not willing to admit Dave has given the Panther good talent to work with you have forgotten the Hurney era and you probably have forgotten Ron has never had back to back winning seasons. 

Our franchise has never had to back to back winning seasons. That ain't a Ron issue. 

2 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

I don't see Gettleman getting fired until he gets the chance at picking his own coaching staff. If we're putting the entire front office on notice this is the second time now Rivera's job's been on the line. Ron this offseason and Dave the next at the earliest and the way this team loves to finish looking strong I wouldn't even bet on that.

Rivera still has a lot of the same issues he's had for a while now.

- Bad personnel decisions on the depth chart and inactives (and assistant hires)

- Overvaluing "effort" players

- Hanging on too long to vets that have lost a step

- Poor game management

But those aren't the biggest problem I have with him.

Rivera believes that we can just line up and run the offensive and defensive systems as they are without adjusting to specific opponents strengths, weaknesses and personnel.

You saw that most clearly in Denver, when Broncos players were flabbergasted after the game that they "didn't change a thing they did", even in the second half.

The heart of coaching in the NFL is adjustment. I used to believe Rivera just wasn't very good at it. The more I see it, the more I think he just doesn't believe in it.

Basically, as the metaphor goes, it's a chess match and he's playing checkers.

7 minutes ago, Snake said:

The panthers just rode the hurney era to the super bowl, with no small part in help thanks to the coaching staff bandaging up wounds that could've been fixed had we been willing to make moves for useful players rather than slowly bleeding talent away while the same position groups go unaddressed year in and year out.

4 minutes ago, GoobyPls said:

I'm supposed to give him credit for bringing in players no other teams wanted? LOL. A lot those guys had no other option but to sign with us.

Shaq barely even played last year for god sakes. Your giving him credit for wasting a first round pick on a backup LB that still not even starting yet.

Ginn also led the NFL in dropped TD and yards lost to drops. Gettleman passed on so much more obvious talent for stop gap players. We could of had Crabtree for 3 million. Sammy Coates or Stefon Diggs. 

Cam taking this team to 15-1 was a curse in disguise 

OK, fine, take away the role players who did their roles and did them adequately and you are still left with Star, KK, Norwell, and Turner. How are you going to poo on those moves?

Gettleman was VERY lucky to be the beneficiary of the natural progression that was going to be made by Cam.

Hurney was canned before he truly benefitted from a pick Gettleman never would've made. If Hurney was still at the helm people would've blindly turned their feelings around on him as well due to Cam being able to carry an entire team on his shoulders.

We could've hired a donkey to watch the bad contracts expire and build up cap space all while Cam led this team to the SB. Too many sheep on this board without a hot clue.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

Archived