• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers VS Chiefs: What Chiefs Fans Are Saying

Saca312

This Sunday, the Panthers face off the Chiefs at home after a grueling, rough game against the LA Rams. The Panthers are looking to improve to 4-5 and get their offense clicking, while the Chiefs look to get back on track after a lackluster performance against the Jaguars.

As per usual, each fan-base has their own point of view of each game, and contribute their thoughts just as so. I will again bring you what they're saying already, and add a few of my comments to such.

(TL;DR: I'm stealing @Jeremy Igo's job. Well, until I get reassured that he starts making these again. I always loved those posts.)

Anyhow, here's what the chatter is over at Chiefsplanet:

http://www.chiefsplanet.com/bb/showthread.php?t=303451

On Cam Newton's Skill:

Carolina had one of the easiest strength of schedules in 2015. From what the media fed us, Cam was the MVP but I argued that he was overrated. Rivera did a good job hiding Cam's deficiencies last season but as the playoffs unfolded and a more difficult schedule this season it's clearly showing what he's really worth

The classic "They played the NFC Least, crappy teams, Cam Newton's overrated, and were just lucky and overrated blah blah" comment. Sure, got nothing much to back it up with our regression this year, but note he said "as the playoffs unfolded."

As the playoffs unfolded.

cam-newton-is-destroying-the-seahawks.gif?w=1000

As the playoffs unfolded

SUPERCAM.0.gif

As the playoffs unfolded

suuuupercaaam.0.0.gif

Cam Newton does good when he's got time in the pocket. Last Sunday, we didn't have our starting LT in Oher, and key starting center Kalil. Of course he won't look good when his O-line can't block, and that's expected against a stout healthy Rams defensive front. It's nothing new, as his QB passer rating last year dropped 53 points last year when under pressure.

It's fair to say Cam needs to work on that, but he still makes stuff out of nothing.

I think our O-Line will hold up, especially with Kalil most likely back. I don't think the Chiefs have nearly as strong of a front as the Rams, but I am concerned over Dee Ford emerging as a scary speed rusher. However, I think we can hold up fine.

Cam Newton will make all these Chiefs fans wish they had him instead of Alex Smith and Nick Foles.

"Overrated"

On Our Running Game:

When they are winning, their offense primarily relies on their running backs. 

They led the league in 2015 in the # of running plays as a percentage of total offensive plays. If we don't clean up our act on defense, Stewart is going to have a 100+ yard day.

One thing that we lean on is our hard running game. Last year, Panthers nearly ran the ball 1/2 of their total plays. It's been a part of the Panther's crafty offense led by Newton, but the last game proved we can win WITH the defense taking away the run game, and deep plays. 

Sure, wasn't pretty, but we still got it done. Even with all the pressure, we still got trudging and got out a few hard-earned first downs and yards from those.

Question is, can the Chiefs take out our running game like the Rams? 

On The Chief's Run Defense:

We better get that shitty run D figured out, or we're going to get prison raped.

Chief's run defense is 25th in the NFL. Not exactly a good matchup on paper against Carolina's crafty running game with Cam, Stewart, and Tolbert. 

If we can get our run game open, that'll open up the for sure good plays we need, and wear that defense out.

Last week, another point to acknowledge is how our running game never opened up, which can explain the beating the Panthers took offensively. It starts with the run, and this matchup looks favorable for us. 

Panthers will most likely test this low ranked run defense early, and exploit it to the fullest.

On the Panthers offense:

Carolina's offense does not intimidate me right now. They aren't the same there at all.

The Panthers are an average passing team and an above average running game. After what happened yesterday I would expect them to test the run defense early and often. If we can go Negan on them and shut that chit down early I think our chances improve dramatically.

Um. They just called our passing team average. (Credit to @MurkN for most of these GIFS)

tR3vfMu.gif

Average

sBX4EYa.gif  

Average (last year's play, but still):

camtd.0.gif

Oh, and "above average" running game.

Yj7JJAJ.gif

Above "average"

VerlsMk.gif

Above "average"

giphy.gif

Yes, our passing offense is average, and our run offense is only above average. You know no big deal. We aren't much. I mean Kelvin Benjamin and Devin Funchess aren't too big, Olsen's overrated, and Ginn is not that fast. Average.

Stewart, heck, he's not a speed runningback like everyone else. He's just a better and tougher version of Marshawn Lynch, while the QB is a 6 foot 5 behemoth that can run. No big deal.

We're just average.

On Greg Olsen:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcellus View Post
Do you realize KC has been one of the top defenses against the TE for 3.5 years and counting now?

What tight end has caused us issue in recent years?

Julius Thomas (with Manning) and Gronk.

Olsen is on their level.

Newton isn't that kind of quarterback. Perhaps Olsen with a healthy Manning or Brady is as effective as Thomas was or Gronk is....but that's not what he's working with.

If we leave Olsen uncovered, Cam will find him because Olsen's his security blanket. But he's not going to go looking off coverage or throwing Olsen open like Manning used to do to really carve us up because that's just not how he plays.

If we suck against Olsen, Newton will exploit it. But if we just provide credible coverage (and there's no reason we shouldn't), we'll be fine. Olsen will get his as he always does as Cam's favorite target, but he won't butcher us like the old Antonio Gates days.

Again, you'll get the bad Cam Newton if the pressure gets to him, which I'm doubting. Kansas doesn't have nearly the amount of weapons on defense to get to Cam like the Rams did. Kalil will be back, and Oher might even be back, something to look for.

Cam Newton has been, and can be extremely dangerous, and make surgical weaving type of plays (see throw to Benjamin from LA above).

Olsen is one of the best TEs in the league this year. That's huge, and he's certainly a threat.

Kansas City is also one of the best at covering TEs this year as well, around the 3rd best. Philadelphia and Arizona are the only two teams that are ranked higher.

I personally think Olsen won't be much of a factor, because he doesn't have to be. Our running game and passing game to our WRs will be used, with emphasis on running. Get the running game going, get our WRs out there making plays.

On the Chiefs Injuries:

Depends on the injury report

I feel confident that Ware (and Smith certainly) will be back.  

Hope Alex comes back the same and continues to makes smart choices with his feet to extend plays still

Hope Smith, Ware and Maclin can make it back. If they do, we should have the advantage.

Certainly the injuries have played a factor. Spencer Ware was my late round fantasy pick, and I was pleasantly surprised with his production on that standpoint.

He's a good runningback for sure, so if he's back, we need to contain him like we did David Johnson and Todd Gurley.

Smith is someone to watch. He's the epitome of game managers, and he's going to be slowly grinding that offense down the field. Our CBs should feel relieved deep passes will be scarce with him, but nevertheless he's a good QB to watch. 

Maclin is another name to look out for too. Injuries that have piled up on Kansas may determine the game, but I'm confident we're still the superior team.

On turnovers, and the game itself:

They suck. Chiefs win by 49!!!!!!!!!

The Chiefs are number one in the NFL in turnover differential (+13). Carolina is 29th in the same stat (-6). During the first 6 games of the year Carolina lost the turnover battle in every game. The last two games they haven't turned it over once and, not surprisingly, they have eeked out two wins.

This is NOT a trap game. This is a tough opponent, on their home turf, with a lot of weapons having an off season.

We need to be on our best behavior to win. applause.gif

I want a very good offensive game plan. Stop with goddamn reverses in the red zone. Let's simply things when we get down there. I don't need to watch a double reverse after ya get a big turnover. Attack carolina deep and in the middle of the field. Secondary is a question mark.

After watching the Panthers almost lose to the Rams yesterday, I'm changing my prediction for this game. 

Granted, there are "if's" involved here:
If Alex is back and we can run the offense as designed.
I'll feel better if Spencer Ware is back too. What a weapon.
If we can avoid turnovers and just play our game.

Then I think we win. I didn't see anything from Carolina that impressed me at all. Very winnable game.

Very fair. Chiefs currently stole the "thieves ave" from the Panthers team of last year, as they now top the league in that area. Panthers are 28th actually, so poster got that part slightly wrong, but turnover differential is still -6. 

Cam cannot make the same inaccuracy mistakes he did against the Rams if he wants to stay fine. He's more than capable of doing it, but something to note.

As long as Cam isn't pressured, Cam will have a field day is what I'm thinking.

We have a very talented offense, and a stout defense. Chiefs fans should not take us lightly, as some of them are wisely stating. 

I think Carolina comes out with a win and pounds the Chiefs down with a healthy OLine. (Score prediction coming later in a different post).

7 minutes ago, Daeavorn said:

Im surprised they havent commented our on recently emerged pass rush. Anyone know anything about them or their oline?

Chiefs are ranked at 25 through week 5 according to PFF, latest stats I could find.

They seem mediocre at the moment from what I've gathered. Their center is pretty good, everyone else lackluster.

Should take advantage of that.

Just now, Saca312 said:

Chiefs are ranked at 25 through week 5 according to PFF, latest stats I could find.

They seem mediocre at the moment from what I've gathered. Their center is pretty good, everyone else lackluster.

Should take advantage of that.

That is what I like to hear. I really hope our pass rush keeps appearing.

Archived