• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The NFL Is Considering Shortening Ads

Saca312

Well. So they say they're considering it. They also said they'd protect Cam, so we'll see.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/11/sports/football/nfl-tv-ratings-shorter-games-fewer-commercials.html

N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell said on Thursday that the league was looking at a variety of ways to shorten game broadcasts, including trimming some advertising, to keep the action moving.

The league has seen its television ratings plunge this season, something that Goodell has said is related to a number of factors, including the intense interest in the presidential election, as well as shifts in the way fans have been watching games.

Goodell noted, though, that the pace of games could also be a factor in the ratings decline. Fans have complained for years that games are too long, and they frequently express annoyance at the number of commercial breaks and video reviews. Last season, the average length of regular-season games, from kickoff to final whistle, was 3 hours 8 minutes, six minutes longer than in 2008.

Goodell said the league was considering a number of potential solutions to improve the pace of games, including running fewer advertisements and changing when they run. The league is also looking at ways to speed up video reviews by its officials as well as the time it takes referees to announce penalties on the field.

How about just having a dedicated professional video review official in the booth. There is no need for the head official to walk over, put on the headset, queue up the video, watch a few times, walk back to field. A dedicated replay official in the booth would take 30 seconds on most reviews. 

How about addressing the horrific officiating, period? No ramifications for that ref crew who created that complete poo show at the end of the first half of the Seahawks/Bills game? Really??? What will a ref crew have to do to actually face any consequences, get on the mic and openly taunt fans for intentionally fuging up the game?

33 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

How about just having a dedicated professional video review official in the booth. There is no need for the head official to walk over, put on the headset, queue up the video, watch a few times, walk back to field. A dedicated replay official in the booth would take 30 seconds on most reviews. 

This official should be blindfolded the rest of the game and not be watching the game or know who the other officials are......doesn't even need to be at the game

36 minutes ago, Jeremy Igo said:

You, sir, are a very smart person.  I've preached this very scenario for years.  That would shave 20 minutes off of game time.

I wish football would do adds like I saw Golf doing this year. They did a dual screen kind of a deal with the coverage of golf on the left and a commercial for whatever product on the right. They could do that during injury timeouts, booth reviews, etc. They could even air replays of the best plays during the game so far, or even highlights from other games going on at the moment. I'd be much more inclined to stay tuned to the channel than switch it over that way. 

Totally addressing the wrong issues. Seems about right for the NFL. 

I'm not going to lie. Seeing my team get cheated out of a SB and my QB get punished because he is great is making not want to watch. People want fair rules and a fair game not storylines and a rigged system. 

Since the Super Bowl and those Refs that gave it to Denver my interest  has gone way down.  I don't like it when the game is decided by the Powers That Be and not the players. 

Cam didn't go after that fumble because he knew there was no way to win.  Nobody wants watch some game decided by the Ref's.  About to say take NFL and shove it!

6 minutes ago, Catweisers said:

Since the Super Bowl and those Refs that gave it to Denver my interest  has gone way down.  I don't like it when the game is decided by the Powers That Be and not the players. 

Cam didn't go after that fumble because he knew there was no way to win.  Nobody wants watch some game decided by the Ref's.  About to say take NFL and shove it!

Agree totally. i have definitely lost interest in the game itself..now i just watch to see how many penalty flags other qbs get that resemble the non calls of Cams ..haven't watched a complete game since the Thursday  night denver vs carolina game..i knew then the fix was in..

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Agree 100%. Use the experienced guys who can't run anymore that have graded the best over the years.

1 hour ago, Jeremy Igo said:

Or maybe employ their referees full time so they can focus on and hone their craft?

Much easier to rearrange the chairs on the Titanic though.

Archived