• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Is To Stop The Atlanta Falcons From Dominating The NFC South For The Next 5 Years?

Saca312

Just now, Saca312 said:

Then why did he play the whole game?  You can say he suffered it during that game, but he practiced the whole week, except the Friday after.  Bleacher Report also said Jordan Woodard had a knee injury for Oklahoma's basketball team.  Come to find out, he has actually had suicidal thoughts.  BR is good sometimes, but bad sometimes.  

Just now, nctarheel0619 said:

Then why did he play the whole game?  You can say he suffered it during that game, but he practiced the whole week, except the Friday after.  Bleacher Report also said Jordan Woodard had a knee injury for Oklahoma's basketball team.  Come to find out, he has actually had suicidal thoughts.  BR is good sometimes, but bad sometimes.  

Fair. He did play the whole game.

I just know he got injured in the first quarter on that safety play. I forgot he did indeed play the whole game, my bad on that part. 

http://blackandbluereview.com/snap-counts-week-3-vikings-panthers

Nevertheless, a concussed Oher still playing the whole time. You'd think that'd bring down his play-level a lot.

2 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

Fair. He did play the whole game.

I just know he got injured in the first quarter on that safety play. I forgot he did indeed play the whole game, my bad on that part. 

http://blackandbluereview.com/snap-counts-week-3-vikings-panthers

Nevertheless, a concussed Oher still playing the whole time. You'd think that'd bring down his play-level a lot.

I mean, they didn't know he had a concussion until that Friday after, dude.  That's my issue.  I think he just isn't good.  That game proved that.  

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

The Atlanta Falcons has exploded this year, and they have young talent everywhere:

• Matt Ryan is looking like an MVP this year
  • Julio Jones is Julio Jones
  • Freeman and Coleman are the best speed/receiving runningback duo in the league.
  • Their O-line is legit with Alex Mack in the center.
  • Shanahan has laid a great offensive foundation.
  • Sanu isn't a bad #2 WR.
  • Their defense is young and improving.
  • Vic Beasley, Remmer abuser, is the league sack leader and turning into a force.

The bottom line is the Falcons have an o-line, and a really flashy offense. They may as well have one of the top offenses in league history at this rate.

More importantly, they've really built their team right. Their draft picks took a while to show out, but now their defense is from terrible to mediocre; which is alright paired with their historical offense. They built their o-line well, and have been relatively healthy in that area the whole season.

Now, do I think the Panthers will be better next year?

Yes. Duh.

Why am I so confident? Well, it's rather simple.

When healthy, we're the most balanced team in the NFC. We have very few holes with our starters, and this offseason can be the one where we get the right pieces to finally build a solid roster. Our defense is far superior to the Falcons, and our offense can be deadly.

So, how will we be better? Here's five reasons:

1. Our O-line, When Healthy, Will Be A Top 5 line. Yes, I'm Serious.

One of many reasons for quarterback Cam Newton’s outstanding season is the Carolina Panthers’ offensive line. He’s only been sacked twice during the playoffs.

PFF just ranked our o-line 17th in the league. Now, considering the fact we didn't have Kalil most of the year, we had Turner at RT, and, of course Remmers, this is very surprising. We're just mediocre when we have 4 out of 5 in that are considered backups.

That's pretty huge. That means our backups are effectively considered middle-of-the-pack good, and that's amazing for any team.

In 2015, we had a relatively healthy line. We were considered top 5 with Remmers starting at RT. That's really huge.

Now, imagine having this o-line, from left to right:

Oher, Norwell, Kalil, Turner, Williams

Doesn't sound too bad, does it.

Norwell has been graded by PFF as our best man this year on the line, and he's been a solid interior. Kalil has been one of the league's best for a long time, and Trai Turner had a pro-bowl season in 2015. Daryl Williams, at the least, is a definite upgrade over Remmers, and Oher is a solid LT.

We'd have one of the best interiors in the league, and have solid tackles as starters. We'd finally be able to get a run game going, and possibly decent pass protection.

If we remain healthy, I guarantee you we'd have a top 5 line.

2. Our Cornerbacks Aren't Rookies Anymore

Image result for james bradberry daryl worley

Our rookies have had a full year of experience, and they've turned into solid starters at the minimum.

James Bradberry is a top 20 corner overall, according to PFF. He's been sound in his coverage. Daryl Worley leads every corners with tackles, and is in the top 12 in run defense for corners.

That's not too bad for two guys that were rookies thrown into the fire.

Let me get you excited about what they bring to the table.

billblackandbluereviewcom

ezgif.com-1f910a9366.gif

ezgif.com-e22fa43b5d.gif

Bradberry is showing up to becoming a top tier cornerback in the league, and Daryl Worley is getting the hang of it.

Our rookies have turned into studs just after their rookie season. They aren't making many mistakes anymore.

With Bradberry's growth, expect him to be at least top 10 next year. He's been shutting down receivers as of late, and expect Wilks to start letting Bradberry start leaving less cushion on receivers.

Worley is starting to round out as a solid corner as well as of late. We're not giving up much passes from WRs, and we're shutting them down pretty well. If anything, they fared really well against Mike Evans and Julio Jones.

Considering our last meeting involved the Falcons attacking us through their speed options against our Luke Kuechly-less linebacker corps, I'm sure the next go around will be a different story.

Now, there's no denying we have the 29th passing defense in the league. Now, I do not believe that all involves our corners at all. Considering the fact most of our yards come off of backups throughout the year, I truly don't think our rookies are the reason for it at all. 

When not considering the 1st Saints, Falcons, and Seattle game (where we lost our only good safety in Kurt Coleman,) we certainly would have a top 15 pass defense from the stats I'm looking at. 

Injuries hindered our potential. Do not expect that to happen again next year.

3. Cam Newton WILL Be Healthy, And He WILL Be Back

cam-superman--768x512.jpg

There's no doubt about it. Cam Newton - by far - had his worst statistical season this year. 

It's happened to past MVPs as well, but it's definitely attributed with Cam being nearly killed on every play.

The NFL has already shown it cares nothing about Cam Newton with how they treat hits towards him. It was blatantly obvious against the Redskins on that no-call when Cam slid down. They just don't want this "thug, supposed-to-be-a-bust big quarterback" to be successful for some odd reason.

This year, Cam will finally not be sore all over. He'll more than likely have a healthier o-line compared to this year, and enjoy quality depth at every position, if necessary. His shoulder will be healed up, and I'm sure he'll definitely look to refine his skills.

Ron Rivera hinted towards an evolution offensively. This might indicate a variety of creative plays being implemented in Training Camp, instead to the long-developing plays that were dominant according to @Jeremy Igo. We'll certainly employ a more comfortable scheme to fully maximize Cam Newtons talents. 

Hope is for another reliable option for Cam other than Olsen that can catch to show up, and Kelvin Benjamin and Funchess to refine their route running. Once this occurs, we'd likely have a dangerous, scary offense. 

With Cam Newton at the helm, and proper protection, there's no one who can stop us.

4. Our LBers Are Still The Best; We Have One Of The Most Stout Front Sevens In The League

Image result for panthers linebackers

Our linebacker corps consist of Luke Kuechly, Thomas Davis, and Shaq Thompson. 

There's no doubt the Panthers have the most stout linebacker group in the league, with the most stacked depth ever seen. AJ Klein is starter level material for any other team, David Mayo showed up and flashed greatness against Tampa as of late, and Jeremy Cash is rounding out as a ST ace and preseason show-up.

Most other teams would kill just to have our backups as starters.

Our D-line also contains the nastiest DT rotation in the league; something we couldn't say back then. Star, Short, Love, and Butler have been one nasty rotation, with playmakers at every part of that depth. Our DEs also showed up, with a nice rotation of maximizing CJ and Addison's pass-rushing talents, coupled with Ealy's decent flashes.

We led the league in sacks for most of the year, and had the 3rd best run defense in the league most of the year as well.

No doubt that with some FA acquisitions, and draft hits, we'd have one of the nastiest defenses in the league. That's something the Failcons can't say.

5. Dave Gettleman Got Money For The First Time Ever, And A Top 10 Pick For The First Time Ever.

xTdAjkt4xEIpEfe40M.gif

Considering how he's found gems at GoodWill in free agency, imagine what he'd do with this money?

Also, consider the fact we really wouldn't HAVE to use much money, just need to sign our plays and plug in at a few positions.

Here's my opinion on positions of necessity that have to be plugged in by next year:

• SS

That's it. We'd have starter quality players at every position. 

Now, depth, here's what I'd consider:

• Runningback
  • 2nd TE
  • LT depth
  • Corner depth

Not too much honestly. DE isn't much of a problem because of our rotational aspect, but could use a near every-down starter. One could argue for a reliable possession receiver as well. Other than that, we'd pretty much be perfect in depth and starting material. This can easily be fixed with how much cap we have for this offseason, and we wouldn't have to get much players at all.

To add on top of that, it's Gettleman's first top 10 pick ever. In fact, it's his second top 25 pick ever. Last pick above pick #25 was Star Lotulelei, at #13. He's an integral part of our DTs, and a reason we went from having the worst in the league to one of the best DT rotation.

With the top 8 pick of the draft, we can snag a likely game-changer easily. From adding a deadly option with Fournette to generate the league's scariest run game, to a scary DE prospect like Barnett to create the deadliest front in the league. Heck, we could likely round out our secondary with Jamal Adams, and be considered one of the top tier defenses in the league.

The sky's the limit to the potential and importance of this offseason.

Bet on the 2015 GM of the year to completely revitalize this team to another Superbowl shot.

So, How Will The Panthers Stop The Falcons From Dominating The NFC South For The Next Five Years?

Simple.

By being better than them offensively, and defensively.

No doubt in my mind that we will achieve that.

Image result for matt ryan sacked panthers

(Based off of: http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/4039371-what-is-to-stop-carolina-panthers-from-dominating-the-nfc-south-for-next-5-years/#comment-9772855. Only difference is I'm far more confident than this fellow Falcon fan.)

Shut hell up you over exaggerating pussy high school girl. 5 years? Lmfao shut the hell up.

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

Matt Ryan is looking like an MVP this year

Matty Ryan was nothing but an ordinary-to-mildly-above-average QB until the Falcon's provided him Julio Jones.  And even then he wasn't able to take the leap up to MVP-caliber until an offensive coordinator with top-notch schemes and unpredictable play-calling was able to take advantage of Ryan/Jones/Freeman/Coleman.

Cam Newton won an MVP with the Shula Anchor hanging around his neck and with Ted Ginn as his best WR.

Now that isn't meant to take any credit away from the amazing season Ryan is having.  All my statement is intended to convey is some QBs road to the MVP is easier than others.

Just now, tiger7_88 said:

Now that isn't meant to take any credit away from the amazing season Ryan is having.  All my statement is intended to convey is some QBs road to the MVP is easier than others.

Hence why I said he looks like an MVP, but scheme is what really got him there + his weapons.

Cam would make that team 19-0 no doubt.

I like your optimism OP. However thats really all it is. Definitely possible for us to return to glory. We have many more holes and needs to be filled than you suggest.

You said the only thing we really need is a new SS?? That's about as close to status quo as you can get! C'mon man.

You like our DE rotation? I thought it was horrible. When you have Star and Short clogging the middle and a zone defensive scheme with linebackers who are good against the pass, then DE's should have a field day out there. A la 2013. Our only edge rusher to register a sack last year under contract is Ealy! Guess what hes our worst pass rusher!!

It's way too early to crown our rookie CB's and you know better than to say "Bradberry will be at least  top 10 next year".

That's asking a lot of a 2nd year 2nd round corner. Maybe he can but your optimism that he will undoubtedly ascend that high is just hypothetical.

You left out nickel corner.

You said possesion receiver? Hell, Benjaimin is the man for that job. What we need is a gambreaker with speed who can be a threat to take it to the house on any given play. Benjamin would be well served to have a player like that compliment him, as well as a reliable slot guy.

Our o-line was never top 5. They had an amazing QB, he played like Superman and reduced the sack numbers and PFF I don't believe accounts for qb pressures once the QB passes the line of scrimmage on a scramble.  We also rarely had to play from behind that year, which also is a huge benefit to the line and the offense as a whole.

Yes Gettleman has found some reliable starters for cheap but all were 1 year band aids!!. However he misses way more than he hit's!.

Hits.

• Tillman = 1 season
  • Mictchell = 1 season
  • Coleman = 1 season ( don't fight me on this. 1 he's no longer cheap after the extension and 2. he won't ever live up to the extension playing out of position).
  • Ginn = Best free agent addition ever by Gettleman. (You take that for what its worth)
  • Oher = 1 season. I know he was injured last year, but again we only got him on the cheap for a 1 year anyway, had to pay up after that 1 good year.
  • Harper = 1 Good season. He sucked in 14 and everyone wanted him gone. When shielded by the Norman/Tillman/Coleman he was suitable.
  • Blackburn = 1 decent season
  • Kyle Love = 1.5 season's as good depth?

Here's the rest of the free agent's he stole on the bargain bin deals lol.

• Drayton Florence
  • D.J Moore
  • Domenik Hixon
  • Stephen Hill
  • Ben Hartstock
  • Mike Mcneill
  • James Dockery
  • Antoine Cason
  • Tiquan Underwood
  • Jason Avant
  • Thomas Decoud
  • Alex Hall
  • James Dockery
  • Teddy Williams
  • Jason Trusnik
  • Stephen Hill
  • Brandon Boykin
  • Paul Solai- Actually wasnt cheap. A nice waste of cap space on this bum.
  • Gino Gradkowski- outplayed by the Tyler Larsen

Then let's talk about his supposed draft excellence.

4 Draft's, 5.5Quality  Starters.  Out of 4 1st round picks, 4 2nd round picks,  3 3rd round picks and slew of 4th and later picks.

1. Star
  2. Short
  3. Benjamin
  4. Turner
  5. Braderry and maybe Worley.  Again too early to crown either one but lets go with it.

I don't dislike Shaq or Butler. I do dislike the fact that they were luxury type picks, when we obviously went BPA at positions of immediate need.

Then we could talk about his blunders with the Hardy franchise tag, insulting us fans by telling us the answer was already on the Roster with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler as bookend tackles.

You might say hey but he got us out of cap hell! Well, fug anyone could have done that over a 4 year period. He didnt rip the band aid off, he did "hurney magic" with roughly 8 contract restructures that kicked the can down the road (dead money).

All that being said, he's our GM and I even tho I dont trust him, I am rooting like a mofo this guy to finally get it right and not just with some b.s. 1 year contracts that leave us with a losing record every other year.

Just now, panther4life said:

I like your optimism OP. However thats really all it is. Definitely possible for us to return to glory. We have many more holes and needs to be filled than you suggest.

You said the only thing we really need is a new SS?? That's about as close to status quo as you can get! C'mon man.

You like our DE rotation? I thought it was horrible. When you have Star and Short clogging the middle and a zone defensive scheme with linebackers who are good against the pass, then DE's should have a field day out there. A la 2013. Our only edge rusher to register a sack last year under contract is Ealy! Guess what hes our worst pass rusher!!

It's way too early to crown our rookie CB's and you know better than to say "Bradberry will be at least  top 10 next year".

You said possesion receiver? Hell, Benjaimin is the man for that job. What we need is a gambreaker with speed who can be a threat to take it to the house on any given play. Benjamin would be well served to have a player like that compliment him, as well as a reliable slot guy.

Our o-line was never top 5. They had an amazing QB, he played like Superman and reduced the sack numbers and PFF I don't believe accounts for qb pressures once the QB passes the line of scrimmage on a scramble.  We also rarely had to play from behind that year, which also is a huge benefit to the line and the offense as a whole.

Yes Gettleman has found some reliable starters for cheap but all were 1 year band aids!!. However he misses way more than he hit's!.

4 Draft's, 5.5Quality  Starters.  Out of 4 1st round picks, 4 2nd round picks,  3 3rd round picks and slew of 4th and later picks.

1. Star
  2. Short
  3. Benjamin
  4. Turner
  5. Braderry and maybe Worley.  Again too early to crown either one but lets go with it.

I don't dislike Shaq or Butler. I do dislike the fact that they were luxury type picks, when we obviously went BPA at positions of immediate need.

Then we could talk about his blunders with the Hardy franchise tag, insulting us fans by telling us the answer was already on the Roster with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler as bookend tackles.

You might say hey but he got us out of cap hell! Well, fug anyone could have done that over a 4 year period. He didnt rip the band aid off, he did "hurney magic" with roughly 8 contract restructures that kicked the can down the road (dead money).

All that being said, he's our GM and I even tho I dont trust him, I am rooting like a mofo this guy to finally get it right and not just with some b.s. 1 year contracts that leave us with a losing record every other year.

You honestly seem like a nice guy. I like you, so sorry if the below sounds harsh lol.

Anyhow, talk about a stretch.

Johnson has been a solid nickel, and brought about a huge difference in our secondary. Can he be upgradable? Sure, but he's at least a solid starter level guy. He's been a great find by Gettleman.

Every position has a player that could play starter for any other team besides SS. That's a fact.

Name me a position other than SS where there's no obvious starter level player playing.

O-line? Why weren't we always top 5 then if your theory about Cam lifting the o-line is true? Why weren't we successful with Byron Bell and Nate Chandler?

Still waiting.

Gettleman fixed that issue, and it showed in our 15-1 run. You notice that we had different starters, meaning we made a change. He needs to find depth, and that's it. 

Possesion receiver: I'm talking about a guy on 3rd down with hands. I think Funchess and KB can develop into it, but it'll take time.

"It's easy to get out of cap hell." 

Excuse me? If so, why are the Saints about to face a huge blow, and countless organizations spending far too much and ruining their cap?

Quality of draft: not superstars everywhere? Gee, wonder why.

He's picked 25 and below in 3 out of 4 drafts he's had per round. He's found talent with that low of a pick.

You realize that's hard to do, right?

Free Agency: He should've found nothing with the money he's been working with. Instead, he found great servicable vets before their time was up in the NFL. 

Lol, Tillman (age 35: ACL torn) and Allen were ready to retire anyways. Can't do anything about that.

Hardy? Not Gettleman's fault that Hardy decided to beat a girl and go crazy. No one foresaw that, like no one foresaw the sheer amount of injuries this year.

Anyhow, that's it. Take it as it is, but that's my opinion.

Bradberry really grewup towards the end of the season.  Remember Norman wasnt crap and was loved about as much as Boston around here until midway into his 3rd season!  Coleman was a solid FS in 2015 put up a probowl type year #2 in ints in NFL

Throw this kid in the mix at SS 

And our D is night and day from this year.

Offense IF and a big if (due to his crazy concussion) comes back healthy this OL will be back.  Oher was graded one of the top OTs in 15 and was top probowl alternate.  Remmers is still Remmers, a backup.  Williams (who most orgianlly wouodve started over him but how quickly most forget about his injuries rookie year) has already looked better at OT.   Remmers got destroyed vs Denver and people LOVE LOVE LOVE to forget Stewart getting nicked up.  We have no RB behind him, its no coincidence how his backup Artis-Payne can never get activated unless hes out.  That turns it into a one dimensional game and lets pass rushersin back and turn loose.  Even our D can wreck the cowgirls offense now if they become one demsional and dont have a RB.

Just now, arc said:

Good write up but I feel there's a missing emphasis on the DL.  

Overall, DE, S and OT are still after all of these years the biggest needs.  

I feel we can get away with our DEs for another year.

Scheme more than anything, and Addison is a force.

Already proved pre-bye week that our DTs don't produce without DEs, and vice versa. That's my case for how we can get away with it for one more year.

I feel other issues are more important than a DE, but won't complain about a BPA DE.

Archived