• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bad News For Whitworth Fans

KDawg004

http://m.bengals.com/news/article-1/Sr-Bowl-slants-and-screens-McCarron-surfaces-Whit-talks-loom-Lewis-talks-extension/10f2b38b-e7e8-4e7b-8522-19722e6d143e

Half way down the page but I'll post the snippet;

"Long-time NFL agent Pat Dye Jr., the representative for Bengals left tackle Andrew Whitworthicon-article-link.gif, has traded e-mails with Bengals vice president Troy Blackburn and the two have agreed to touch base regarding a deal for Whitworth next week when Dye gets back from watching five of his clients at the Pro Bowl."

Don't think there's any guarantee Whitworth is re-signed by the Bengals. They're kind of in a rebuild right now and have two young OTs that they believe are their long term starters there. Not sure they offer Whitworth a starting job or money that he's worth and he may decide he wants to start somewhere. Either way I think it's unlikely we would sign him anyways. I'd love it because this guy just has Rivera/DG Panther written all over him, but so did Weddle and we didn't go hard after him. Going to be too expensive for us I'd bet. Whitworth may be 35 and not have many years left but he's one of the best offensive linemen in the league at the most important OL position. He'll get paid if he wants to, at least in the short term.

And while I think DG wouldn't be against paying a top tier player, I don't think he'd do it for a guy like Whitworth as a short stop-gap who's play could fall off at any time. It's all about value in FA and going for Whitworth at market value isn't really a great decision for the team. If I'm misjudging his market value then I'd be all for going after him, but I fear he'll be highly sought after for top dollar if he does indeed hit the market. And Oher's contract complicates going for a top LT in free agency or trade.

21 minutes ago, thomas96 said:

Don't think there's any guarantee Whitworth is re-signed by the Bengals. They're kind of in a rebuild right now and have two young OTs that they believe are their long term starters there. Not sure they offer Whitworth a starting job or money that he's worth and he may decide he wants to start somewhere. Either way I think it's unlikely we would sign him anyways. I'd love it because this guy just has Rivera/DG Panther written all over him, but so did Weddle and we didn't go hard after him. Going to be too expensive for us I'd bet. Whitworth may be 35 and not have many years left but he's one of the best offensive linemen in the league at the most important OL position. He'll get paid if he wants to, at least in the short term.

And while I think DG wouldn't be against paying a top tier player, I don't think he'd do it for a guy like Whitworth as a short stop-gap who's play could fall off at any time. It's all about value in FA and going for Whitworth at market value isn't really a great decision for the team. If I'm misjudging his market value then I'd be all for going after him, but I fear he'll be highly sought after for top dollar if he does indeed hit the market. And Oher's contract complicates going for a top LT in free agency or trade.

Yep, those two young highly drafted OTs is why I'd pretty much just assumed that Whitworth would be available.

Just now, LinvilleGorge said:

Yep, those two young highly drafted OTs is why I'd pretty much just assumed that Whitworth would be available.

If they were in a position to compete right now I think they'd definitely lock up Whitworth to be their starter again. But since they're not I can't see why they'd want to keep him as a stop gap instead of giving their young future guys the needed playing time. Obviously they want him back but the question becomes if they can agree on the terms of him going back. I feel it's unlikely they want him back as their definite starter at top tier starter money, so if Whitworth wants to start somewhere I think it's still likely, despite these talks opening up, that he'll test the market. But it is the Bengals so who knows what they want to do. And at this point in his career I could see Whitworth be fine with staying in Cincinnati as a swing tackle. So it depends on a couple things, but I still think it's more likely that he hits the market, but probably like 60-40.

Archived