• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vic Beasley says to let Cam be Cam

truthjuice

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- NFL sack leader Vic Beasley didn’t come out and say it would be a mistake for the Carolina Panthers to make quarterback Cam Newton less of a threat as a runner.

The Atlanta Falcons defensive end also didn’t exactly endorse Carolina’s planned evolution of Newton into a more traditional quarterback.

“That’s what makes him effective,’’ Beasley told ESPN.com last week before heading to Houston for Super Bowl LI. “You’ve got to deal with him passing and running.

“I say, just let Cam be Cam.’’

But as far as Beasley is concerned, the Panthers should let Newton keep doing “what he’s been doing ... let him be himself.’’

https://t.co/oEeDjyi9Mh

39 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

They are gonna reduce the inside the tackle run unless its do or die situation.

-I want to see Cam scramble more like in 2011 & 2013

-Stronger traditional run game will open up the bootlegs, rollouts, & PA  and stop defenses from using delayed blitz.

Easy to say when you're not 28, having taking more hits than any QB than any other.  I would prefer that Cam be more selective in his runs, and use it as a surprise instead of using him as a primary ball carrier outside of the red zone.  He's going to be a beast at getting those 1 yard runs, but I don't want to run 15 QB power plays anymore.

I hope we can make his running a spice instead of a fixture.

5 minutes ago, d-dave said:

Easy to say when you're not 28, having taking more hits than any QB than any other.  I would prefer that Cam be more selective in his runs, and use it as a surprise instead of using him as a primary ball carrier outside of the red zone.  He's going to be a beast at getting those 1 yard runs, but I don't want to run 15 QB power plays anymore.

I hope we can make his running a spice instead of a fixture.

I want to see his throwing ability expand especially with accuracy and touch pass.

If he starts dissecting defenses on a consistent basis it will open up the running game to the next level

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUHBA0q4C-0

Cam should not have any designed runs at all with the only exception being occasional must score or must convert inches or a yard to go situations. All other running done by Cam should only be done as a last resort on a scramble or if the defense just gives him those yards. This will actually help his rushing threat. If he sits in the pocket and picks defenses apart it will open up Cam's scrambling so much more.

Key to this though would be to have an effective run game without Cam's rushing being a part of it at all. If we get Fournette at 8 or another top back in the first couple rounds we need to build the run game around him and have the scheme set up for that.

I'm not extremely confident in Shula actually changing it up to not rely on Cam's rushing but I do have a bit of hope based on some of what Ron has said. Still think Shula should've been fired and Dorsey needs to be gone but I'm not going to panic about next year just because Shula's here. We made the Super Bowl with him and had, what I think, an even better team with him in 2013.

Build the run game up without Cam being involved except for scrambling and get our defense back to it's 2013 level. Will be different because we're not going to be able to have two dominant ends like we had in Hardy and CJ then but our secondary will be much better than the vets and guys like Melvin White and Robert Lester we threw out there that year. Add some more pass rushing talent at end, shore up SS and try to get some young impact defenders in the draft and our defense could definitely be back at that level. LB group is better, DT better and corners and FS better. Would be interesting to see if we have any thoughts of bringing Captain back instead of LJ or to add competition for the nickel spot.

Archived