• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cap savings IF we cut Stewart, Gano, and Dickson

panther4life

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

different run blocking schemes. Williams is a great zone read runner, he's terrible out of the shotgun like we run damn near everything in our offense. 

Also he got fat and complacent with his giant contract so he stopped trying as hard then shed 15 lbs when he got cut and went to pittsburg.

Our run scheme was great in 15 when we made the super bowl, it was damn near unpredictable with the threat of Cam running every play, but was neutered this past year due to injuries across the line and not wanting Cam to run for some reason. 

Yeah , I'm also not sure what is going to be different this year on offense.   Plus we spent most of the year without the starting LT, pro bowl center, and the weakest person on our Oline playing LT.   So I can't put the entire blame on Stewart, plus he looked good when the holes were there.

1 minute ago, Udogg said:

So we save 5 million and still need someone to replace him?  I don't see why.  Especially with a cap hit of 2.5 mill next year.  If we were tight also know as in a Hurney situation.. then yes, Just don't see the need. 

Let's say we saved the 4.75 million and reinvested another 2 million on top of it for an upgrade. That would literally be enough to sign all but maybe the top 3-5 backs in the league.

Or let's say it gets down to the wire and we are 1 million apart per year on KK on a 5 year deal vs having to let him walk. I'd rather use that savings and keep KK. 

5 million in cap space can go a long way in the NFL. Hell only 7 players outside of Stewart on our whole team have a cap hit over 3.8 million and one of them is Gano

Okay let me go along with this just for fun. Cut Stewart, cut Fozzy, (already cut Tolbert) bring in Adrian Peterson, bring in best available FB, draft Leonard Fournette, trade up back into the first for McCaffrey, we're stacked at RB and we'll go 19-0 next season.

3 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Okay let me go along with this just for fun. Cut Stewart, cut Fozzy, (already cut Tolbert) bring in Adrian Peterson, bring in best available FB, draft Leonard Fournette, trade up back into the first for McCaffrey, we're stacked at RB and we'll go 19-0 next season.

If being facetious is the only way you can construct an argument to keep Stewart at 8.2 million then you might as well back out of the conversation.

Dickson is probably gone, maybe even Gano. Stew would have to take a pay cut vs restructuring, wouldn't make sense with one year left. Would be nice to have him around to mentor Fournette.

Lee has a cannon for a leg, wouldn't mind seeing him in the Black n Blue this year.

59 minutes ago, Hoenheim said:

Who are we going to get to replace Stewart then? There's no guarantee Fournette will be there at 8  , but I guess there's a number of RBs in the draft. But from my knowledge no one on our roster is the answer at RB and all the college RBs coming out this year its yet to be seen that they will be productive on our team.

If anything I think we need to keep Stewart and release some of the other RBs , to free up a position for a RB we draft in the top 3 rounds but don't have to totally gamble on them being a good feature back.

Stewart stays hurt so much now he is not reliable. Being honest we could draft a RB and sign a RB in free agency and get the same amount of production and probably more. It isn't that Stewart isn't talented it is that he stays hurt.

Keep Stew and Lee. Stew is all we have at RB now. Lee is a great punter and we gave up a pick for him. I hope the injury doesn't affect his punts. Maybe paycut or restructured deal for both of them.

Cut Gano and Dickson. None of them merit the salary for what they are asked to do.

Oher is a tough one. He's our only viable option at LT but is he healthy enough to play?

Stew's not going anywhere.

Lee is better than Palordy but also older and we still may be on the hook for some $ if we cut Lee now, i'm not sure.

I'm good with cutting Gano provided that his replacement is better.

I think that Oher may be done and gets an injury settlement. 

I'm good with cutting Dickson as well. For what he does, we can go younger and cheaper. 

17 minutes ago, gorillamilitia13 said:

We would be fools if we cut Stew. Smh at people dropping his name around as a potential cut, he is a much bigger factor to this team than a lot of you realize and that's unfortunate.

Its like the Panthers have had success finding serviceable RBs outside of JStew smh....Gman would have found a way to cut Jstew a long time ago if there were decent replacements..

1 hour ago, PandaPancake said:

I love the guys that play gm. They're quick to cut with no obvious solution

Gano has the 6 highest cap hit but was 26th in FG% and 25th in XP%.

Dickson is basically worthless as a blocker and receiver.

Stew, Oher and Lee should all be kept.

Plenty of options in FA or in the draft to replace a kicker and a 2nd string TE.

Archived