• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ron Rivera And Brandon Beane At Stanford To See Christian McCaffrey And Solomon Thomas

bobsfoodbasics

1 hour ago, Snake said:

Thomas is a 3-4 DE. He is very good 3-4 DE with a strong bull rush and he stops the run well. It still doesn't make him a 4-3 DE though. I just don't understand why people can't get this. 

Stop Thomas can play 4-3 end as well.. His skillset coming out of college are the same as Kony and CJ.. 4-3 ends who can kick inside and play 3 tech.. But reality he is a 4-3 DE..

36 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

If this were about being a running back alone you might be right but McCaffrey is good enough to be drafted in the first round as a slot receiver and returner  let alone a running back. You think that NE considered Wes Welker a situational player and he didn't run the ball like McCaffrey can. I hope our evolution is in the passing game not becoming a more  old school running attack which is all Fournette could do and which we never have the line to do.

And you can find a Terek Hill or Gaberial type in later rounds ..  IF i get a RB i want a 20 to 25 carry guy that can run inside and out.. Catching the ball is gravy but the most important part is being able to carry the load and kill the clock in the 4th qrt..

1 hour ago, iamhubby1 said:

Personally, if it comes down to either the 3rd or 4th best DE, or McCaffery. I am taking McCaffery.

It would not be overly difficult to get him 15-20 touches a game. What with his Return ability and all. And it also is not difficult to imagine him being our little spark plug. Think Smitty, but with more touches, from more positions.

Omg now he's smitty?? Really ..

4 hours ago, WOW!! said:

And you can find a Terek Hill or Gaberial type in later rounds ..  IF i get a RB i want a 20 to 25 carry guy that can run inside and out.. Catching the ball is gravy but the most important part is being able to carry the load and kill the clock in the 4th qrt..

You clearly miss the point. McCaffrey isn't a running back, he is a receiver, returner running back who does all thing very well. Running a screen or dumpoff is just as effective in the 4th quarter as it is the rest of the time. Hopefully our evolution thinking  is more out of the box than yours right now.

2 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

You clearly miss the point. McCaffrey isn't a running back, he is a receiver, returner running back who does all thing very well. Running a screen or dumpoff is just as effective in the 4th quarter as it is the rest of the time. Hopefully our evolution thinking  is more out of the box than yours right now.

The problem is shula evolutional thinking which is a crap shot, and would waste McCaffrey abilities.

5 minutes ago, Byrdman4real said:

The problem is shula evolutional thinking which is a crap shot, and would waste McCaffrey abilities.

You don't know that. It isn't just Shula. We just hired his position coach from Stanford as our wide receiver coach. I figure he knows how to use McCaffrey. 

6 hours ago, Snake said:

Garrett is no peppers and that's 100% He want be Mario Williams either. He's not going to have the impact of Von Miller either if your wondering. Best case he will be a Clowny who was used as a pass rushing expert. Garrett is not even the second best run stopper in this draft. How do you play 3 downs in the NFL and not stop the run? His first step is elite, his moves are good, but he gets mauled by blockers and put into the wash. Hell even OJ Howard tied him up on a run play. That's a TE sealing a #1 draft pick... 

Can we get you and your magic eight ball in the Panthers' front office? 

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Can we get you and your magic eight ball in the Panthers' front office? 

One look at the film and its clear. No need for eight balls. Brass tax the kid is talented but not a complete DE. When you put his name with Peppers or Williams you are talking about once in 15 year DEs. He is just not that because he is not solid in run support. 

5 hours ago, WOW!! said:

Stop Thomas can play 4-3 end as well.. His skillset coming out of college are the same as Kony and CJ.. 4-3 ends who can kick inside and play 3 tech.. But reality he is a 4-3 DE..

People keep saying this but the kid played almost all of his snaps at 3-4 DE and you will be asking him to adjust and change his whole playing style. He would go from facing C and G who are not great at pass pro to facing T who do that extremely well. Even in college he didn't so I ask why would he be effective on the outside in the NFL? Put him beside a player like Von Miller or a team with strong 3-4 DE and he will thrive beating G with his bull rush and quickness. Put him in a 4-3 a UT like KK and his bull rush will be neutralize by most T in the NFL until he can/if he can develop better moves. 

Archived