• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Corey Davis vs John Ross who's the better fit?

panther4life

Better receiver for the panthers  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Choose one

• John Ross
    • Corey Davis

Davis is an ideal, Ross is a one trick gimmick. If we are talking Ross-- I'd rather take Christian McCaffrey. He's more versatile and can fill the slot shoes bigger and better. 

So id rather go Christian vs Corey than Ross. 

With Ginn not being resigned Ross seems like the logical answer.  We definately could use a speed type of guy.  Our offense seems predicated on having one.

Davis is interesting though because he might have the ability to become that so called #1 type of receiver.  If you don't believe we have one of those on the roster than he would be a good fit also.  Do we have that all around receiver that has enough speed to go deep while also having the size and strength to make the contested catch.

What is best case for both?

DeSean Jackson comp for Ross?

A.J. Green for Davis?

10 hours ago, Soul Rebel said:

Ross for me.

Davis is good, but the same way Ross' previous injuries give people pause, so should Davis' competition.

You can only play who's on your schedule, but Davis played against inferior talent and, for the most part, got shutdown against good schools (Wisconsin, OSU). He did dominate the other schools so I'm not saying he won't be a good pro. I just think this T.O. talk and saying he's going to beast out could be premature. 

Davis last game he was shut down by Wisconsin and then, due to injury, hasn't run at the combine or his pro day. For me, that's a little risky too at #8. 

I wouldn't take Ross at 8, but what we need based off of our roster is a player of Ross' abilities and strengths, IMO.

I wouldn't be mad with Davis, but I prefer Ross and would not want either at #8.

Davis actually averaged 88 yards per game against Big Ten schools. Against Wisconsin, it was 70 something yards and a TD. Not great, but not bad. He really only had one "bad" game, which was against OSU. Even if you take out his monstrous 154 yard effort against MSU, he was still at 77 ypg. That's over 1000 yards in the pros.

Not trying to be a Davis apologist, because I really don't think anyone has to be considering his production, but if you think about the fact that he was the focal point of WMU's offense, I could argue that even against "big" competition he did pretty well. It's not like he disappeared. Surround him with more talent and watch him use his superior route running to carve defenses up!

I just can't believe so many people would pick Ross knowing that he basically has a horrible injury history. It's not a normal injury history, It's terrible. Really. And then throw in the fact that he is not the routeologist that Davis is (a routeologist that is exactly what the Panthers need), I don't see how you justify it. Plus the fact that Davis has the highest upside of any receiver in this draft---yes, better than Mike Williams, regardless of what @AceBoogie will tell you---should make Davis the clear choice.

14 hours ago, motocross_cat said:

If speed at WR is the problem the answer IS on the roster in bryd who ran a sub 4.3 on GRASS.  

I brought his name up a couple of weeks ago and got brandished because they said he was waived.   Not in the mood to follow up I believe them. 

Byrd is clearly an option.  I was not on his bandwagon but her fought his way onto the roster but never got an opportunity.  Don't be surprised if he fills that role.   I won't.

13 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

Our next WR could be moving from Greenville, NC.  Zay in the second?

I surely think there's a higher likelihood that he becomes a Panther than either Davis or Ross. I wouldn't be mad, though I think that he's gonna have stiff competition in the second. 

23 minutes ago, DaveThePanther2008 said:

I brought his name up a couple of weeks ago and got brandished because they said he was waived.   Not in the mood to follow up I believe them. 

Byrd is clearly an option.  I was not on his bandwagon but her fought his way onto the roster but never got an opportunity.  Don't be surprised if he fills that role.   I won't.

I used to hold out hope, but I think that it's become obvious that the organization really doesn't him like that. He worked very hard to put on a little muscle and refine his game before the past season, but still didn't get any real play, despite those in front of him playing lackluster ball. Throw in the fact that we've added another couple of suspect receivers and are searching for upgrades via the draft, I just don't believe that they believe Byrd is that guy. 

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I used to hold out hope, but I think that it's become obvious that the organization really doesn't him like that. He worked very hard to put on a little muscle and refine his game before the past season, but still didn't get any real play, despite those in front of him playing lackluster ball. Throw in the fact that we've added another couple of suspect receivers and are searching for upgrades via the draft, I just don't believe that they believe Byrd is that guy. 

And I really would like someone to address the issue. Running a sub 4.3 forty on grass is not common speed. I would give him every opportunity to fail or succeed. There was an obvious lack of speed on the field and it made no sense to not give this kid run late in the season.

53 minutes ago, top dawg said:

You might be right.  I guess that part that makes me believe that he has the pole position is he is still on the team and our signees are questionable at best.

If not for the surgeries I'd have Ross up there. His 40 time may have saved him from dropping to the second due to injury history. Speed kills in the NFL Teddy Ginn has made a good amount of coin on that and has had success(with Cam's arm).

Cam and this system would make Ross a top 10 type of pick. What he did for Ginn was amazing and what he could do for Ross (who has better hands and more ability) could be historic. Only with Cam though. Ross may not be such a weapon in the NFL with some noodle arm at QB.

Cam's arm makes Ross a top ten, without it, meh.

Archived