• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Mike Shula wants to evolve

truthjuice

23 minutes ago, panther4life said:

What players have excelled more in the NFL before or after playing under Shula?

Will Tolbert, Brown and Remmers take their games to the next level now that they have the Shula shackles off of them?

In that same vein, Shula got more out of Ted Ginn than any other OC he has played for. I think Woodie hit the nail on the head the other day when he pointed out that Shula's problem is situational play calling more than anything else. 

I think Shula orchestrates a top 10 offense this year. I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt, because he's done it before (2015) and he knew he needed the help last year but didn't get it. I'm going to try to be more optimistic about the franchise and this upcoming season 

This is the year for him to make it happen.  I'll give him that he didn't have a lot to work with last year, as in slot guys - but now he has more weapons than Kim Jong Un.  I am so excited to see how these new guys work with the team.

I also pray that Cam's shoulder is good to go... 

20 minutes ago, Steve_Smith_Sr. said:

This is the year for him to make it happen.  I'll give him that he didn't have a lot to work with last year, as in slot guys - but now he has more weapons than Kim Jong Un.  I am so excited to see how these new guys work with the team.

I also pray that Cam's shoulder is good to go... 

It's gonna come down to his creativity and their execution. I think this is the "show and prove" year for him and naturally, his ass will get saved. I'm excited about this year, honestly. 

30 minutes ago, truthjuice said:

It's gonna come down to his creativity and their execution. I think this is the "show and prove" year for him and naturally, his ass will get saved. I'm excited about this year, honestly. 

Shula has shown plenty of creativity in the running game. In fact, a lot of analysts have made the argument that we have the most creative running attack in the NFL. His problem is more about situational play calling and that also falls on the HC as much as the OC.

What players have excelled more in the NFL before or after playing under Shula?
Will Tolbert, Brown and Remmers take their games to the next level now that they have the Shula shackles off of them?

Yeah..it was Shula holding back those future hall of famers.

I'm not a Shula apologist. I just sometimes wonder if he was running a run first, clock control offense was because that is what his boss asked of him.
As far as last year, injuries and poor execution from the players were a factor as well.
Maybe he and Ron can and will evolve. Here's to hoping.

Sent from my iPhone using CarolinaHuddle

in 2015 Shula had a practice squad journeyman at RT and Michael Oher as his starting LT.  Ted Ginn was his best option at WR.Jericho Cotchery and Devin Funchess was his WR depth behind Ginn.he had one of the worst FB if not the worst at blocking.talk about bad blocking and Ed Dickson comes to mind as his #2 TE.Fozzy was his #2 RB

and STILL accomplished...

A) #1 offense in the NFL

B)a 15-1 record  during the regular season

C)his QB won the NFL MVP award

D) NFC champs and back to back to back NFCS champs

D)  Superbowl L 

that was one of the greatest coaching performances i have ever witnessed in my entire lifetime.so yes i believe that Shula can also evolve this offense.

18 minutes ago, bandu said:

in 2015 Shula had a practice squad journeyman at RT and Michael Oher as his starting LT.  Ted Ginn was his best option at WR.Jericho Cotchery and Devin Funchess was his WR depth behind Ginn.he had one of the worst FB if not the worst at blocking.talk about bad blocking and Ed Dickson comes to mind as his #2 TE.Fozzy was his #2 RB

and STILL accomplished...

A) #1 offense in the NFL

B)a 15-1 record  during the regular season

C)his QB won the NFL MVP award

D) NFC champs and back to back to back NFCS champs

D)  Superbowl L 

that was one of the greatest coaching performances i have ever witnessed in my entire lifetime.so yes i believe that Shula can also evolve this offense.

So maybe Ron needs to keep his hands off of the offense?

i don't care for Shula, but after it leaked that he wanted something different for last year because he knew what was coming, I almost feel bad for the guy. 

All you haters suck it up and get over it please. I for one am tired of hearing you whine.  Shula is our OC and that is not going to change this season and your further bashing of him serves no purpose.  We know where you stand. Enough.

Bandu had an excellent post just above reminding you of the 2015 season (which none of you seem to want to give him any credit for.)  Last year was horrible.  The offense had Cam, Stewart and Olsen and a terrible Oline.  Cam tried to do it himself and got hurt.

Now there are new toys, toys like the Panthers have never had before.  Get behind Shula, behind the team, get excited for the season or STFU.

Gee, I feel better.

8 minutes ago, ladypanther said:

All you haters suck it up and get over it please. I for one am tired of hearing you whine.  Shula is our OC and that is not going to change this season and your further bashing of him serves no purpose.  We know where you stand. Enough.

Bandu had an excellent post just above reminding you of the 2015 season (which none of you seem to want to give him any credit for.)  Last year was horrible.  The offense had Cam, Stewart and Olsen and a terrible Oline.  Cam tried to do it himself and got hurt.

Now there are new toys, toys like the Panthers have never had before.  Get behind Shula, behind the team, get excited for the season or STFU.

Gee, I feel better.

Image result for proud gif

The new offense will not execute itself.  To be like the Pats means creative play calling, executing pinpoint accuracy in the passing game to insure YAC, and excellent blocking for run and pass.  Execution will be the hard part

Just FTR, when we drafted Samuel, the first thing that popped into my mind was that he was a Patriots type of player. They have had those shifty guys for years, whether they were RB's or WR's and they rely on them to move the chains in crucial situations. I promise you that Shula will use them creatively and often.

Archived