• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

TD already engaged in contract talks

Daeavorn

3 minutes ago, Montsta said:

We will see when the numbers come out. More than two years and a small token of appreciation contract and TD is full of poo. Team friendly deal and Gettleman was just a stubborn prick. 

From a Team PR stand point, it has to be extremely cap friendly or else we will all be well aware that the owner intentionally wrecked our future! If that's the case, this dude is off the bandwagon until new ownership

It's insane all these people here assuming that TD or Greg are asking for "fat contracts" and that's what got Gettleman fired.  It's like they've completely forgotten what team players and leaders we're talking about here.  None of us knows any details whatsoever, but people are already jumping to the conclusion that TD and Greg wanted "fat contracts".

6 minutes ago, JawnyBlaze said:
It's insane all these people here assuming that TD or Greg are asking for "fat contracts" and that's what got Gettleman fired.  It's like they've completely forgotten what team players and leaders we're talking about here.  None of us knows any details whatsoever, but people are already jumping to the conclusion that TD and Greg wanted "fat contracts".

Greg wants to be the highest paid TE in the NFL. That's a big fat contract if you ask me. Lol

Talking about over 10m a season and 3-4 years. So something like a 3 year extension worth 10.5m per season with 45% guaranteed. 

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

1 minute ago, JawnyBlaze said:

By implying holding out, and the fact DG was usually a genius at extensions points to me they wanted inflated extensions. 

But I don't disagree at all.

As I said in AP this could be as simple as DG saying fug to many times in front of JR.

Smitty refusing to retire here while DG was around...

9 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Greg wants to be the highest paid TE in the NFL. That's a big fat contract if you ask me. Lol

Talking about over 10m a season and 3-4 years. So something like a 3 year extension worth 10.5m per season with 45% guaranteed. 

Sent using the amazing CarolinaHuddle mobile app

He told you that himself did he?  Because he hasn't said that to the media.  He said he wants to be paid commiserate with the level of production he's provided, which is entirely fair.  I don't see the problem.

9 minutes ago, Harbingers said:

By implying holding out, and the fact DG was usually a genius at extensions points to me they wanted inflated extensions. 

But I don't disagree at all.

As I said in AP this could be as simple as DG saying fug to many times in front of JR.

Smitty refusing to retire here while DG was around...

Yea, I was mostly talking about TD.  He just said he wants a new contract to continue playing for the Panthers, he didn't say he wanted a raise.  Olsen wants a raise but he hasn't said to what degree, and if I recall correctly he only said he hadn't ruled out holding out.  Splitting hairs, I know, but nothing he has said has been unfair or threatening in the slightest. 

My belief is that this is not simply a result of TD and Olsen wanting new contracts, it's about Richardson's observation of Gettleman's handling of Smitty, Gross and Norman and perceived that was the direction it was going with TD and Olsen and it was simply the straw that broke the camel's back.  Wasn't even about TD or Olsen directly, but he decided enough was enough and was going to nip the attitude Gettleman was bringing to the table in the bud.  For all we know, our sparse FA pickings has been a result of Gettleman's reputation and negotiating tactics.  We have yet to sign a FA that wasn't one of the following: 

A) an old player that was so over the hill he couldn't see it in his rear-view any more.

B) a reclamation project, due to injury or whatever (last two OTs)

C) a scrub

Some of those FAs we've been able to elevate beyond, and that's good GMing.  I'm certainly not trying to take anything from Gettleman that he deserves.  Ginn, Coleman and Mitchell in particular were scrubs that came and thrived in our system and getting that sort of return on a cheap investment is key to success.  But it's not the only key.  Sometimes there's a need so pressing you need to go out and sign Veldheer or Penn or someone like that that's going to cost some money.

Fact is Greg is due to go down. He took some bad hits last year that were harder to get up from and he knows it. He also dropped multiple important catches last year. He knows he'll never look as good as he does right now, so he's milking it. He wants a top TE deal. Why didn't he bang the table for one two years ago? Everyone thought he was just as good and reliable then as he is now. If he couldn't argue for the deal he wanted then, why should we give it to him now with two more years of his production dried up? He wants a nice nest egg to fall into after he gets injured or starts to falter.

luckily CMC will be there to pick up the production and open up room for KB to make plays. Olsen' production can be replaced in this offense even if his position can't.

Archived