• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Love for vets and making the hard decision

yasuhara2241

I know that right now everybody is getting on Hurney with a lot of good reason, but my question is about Rivera. He will always trust vets over unproven players and usually he does this for a year or two longer than he should have. I know that Hurney listens to Ron, but how much of this is on Ron? Why play any vets in the preseason if they are guaranteed roster spots no matter what? 

QB: DA was outplayed by Webb and Gilbert. So we keep DA, cut Webb and add a rookie QB? TBH I don't mind the addition of Kaaya, but what has DA done to guarantee a roster spot? He played horrible last year in spot duty and looked even worse this preseason. 

RB: We kept 4 RBs and 0 FBs. There is no way we are keeping 4 active come game day. Make the decision and move on. IMO CAP has shown himself as a great backup to Stew and Fozzy is the backup to CMC. Only difference is Stew has injury history so I would go with CAP over Fozzy and save an extra position. 

FB: Armah showed real promise whenever he played. Def should be on the 53

DT: Keeping Love over Crume. I know Love has always been solid, but Crume had a really good preseason but that wasn't good enough to beat out a guy who couldn't get on the field. 

K: 2? Really? Just cut Gano and move on. Put confidence in whatever kicker you choose. We really punked out on this move. 

I think everyone has a valid point about the kickers. I assumed we've kept one for an impending trade. 

I wouldn't say that Love is done, and I can totally understand why Crume was sent back to the PS.

I don't understand why everyone is so bent out of shape over Armah. He was a long shot to make the team to begin with, and he simply isn't ready to be a consistent pro at the position. We may be evolving away from the position, and even if we aren't, Stew plays like a FB better than most FBs.

Fozzy and Cap play a different role in the offense (and special teams really). They are both good at what they do as far as backing up the functions that CMC and Stew do respectively, although both arguably do it at lesser roles. The running game (and passing game within the running game) has played and will play a central role within this offense, so keeping the dynamic going as best you can is paramount to our success.

I told y'all weeks ago that Webb wasn't ready to truly back a starting QB. He has always been shaky, and that's against second and third stringers. The more he played, the more his ineptitude and inconsistencies showed. Webb is an infinitely scarier proposition backing up Cam than Anderson, and one decidedly terrible preseason didn't change that fact, at least for me. At least Anderson has experience playing against ones, if not beating them. 

I don't have any big problems with what was done on cut day, although the kicker thing is somewhat of a head scratcher---maybe even a harbinger of confusion and indecision. I'm not absolutely sure it's a vet vs rookie thing.

In any event, I get your point. I've consistently talked about Rivera's undying love of vets not only on cut day, but game days. I just don't see that being the issue here with a still unseasoned Crume, the importance of the delineation of roles in the running game, and the relatively little importance that a fullback plays in the modern NFL.

9 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I think everyone has a valid point about the kickers. I assumed we've kept one for an impending trade. 

I wouldn't say that Love is done, and I can totally understand why Crume was sent back to the PS.

I don't understand why everyone is so bent out of shape over Armah. He was a long shot to make the team to begin with, and he simply isn't ready to be a consistent pro at the position. We may be evolving away from the position, and even if we aren't, Stew plays like a FB better than most FBs.

Fozzy and Cap play a different role in the offense (and special teams really). They are both good at what they do as far as backing up the functions that CMC and Stew do respectively, although both arguably do it at lesser roles. The running game (and passing game within the running game) has played and will play a central role within this offense, so keeping the dynamic going as best you can is paramount to our success.

I told y'all weeks ago that Webb wasn't ready to truly back a starting QB. He has always been shaky, and that's against second and third stringers. The more he played, the more his ineptitude and incinsistency showed. Webb is an infinitely scarier proposition backing up Cam than Anderson, and one decidedly terrible preseason didn't change that fact, at least for me. At least Anderson has experience playing against ones, if not beating them. 

I don't have any big problems with what was done on cut day, although the kicker thing is somewhat of a head scratcher---maybe even a harbinger of confusion and indecision. I'm not absolutely sure it's a vet vs rookie thing.

In any event, I get your point. I've consistently talked about Rivera's undying love of vets not only on cut day, but game days. I just don't see that being the issue here with a still unseasoned Crume, the importance of the delineation of roles in the running game, and the relatively little importance that a fullback plays in the modern NFL.

I don;t know how to post gifs but if I did it would be a standing ovation. 

6 minutes ago, top dawg said:

I told y'all weeks ago that Webb wasn't ready to truly back a starting QB. He has always been shaky, and that's against second and third stringers. The more he played, the more his ineptitude and incinsistency showed. Webb is an infinitely scarier proposition backing up Cam than Anderson, and one decidedly terrible preseason didn't change that fact, at least for me. At least Anderson has experience playing against ones, if not beating them. 

I got you @RoaringRiot

giphy.gif

I'll say that I appreciated that Webb did anything the team asked: play WR, ST and QB3?  No problem.  He is a great dude, and Buffalo is going to be happy with what he does to the locker room.

On the flip side, that's the nature of the business.  You have to make the tough decisions.  Webb is not a starting QB in the NFL, and that's what this decision came down to. Webb kept some guys from making game day rosters, yet added little value outside of his ST position.  How many people have complained over the years that Hurney never made the tough cuts? Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

About DA...this is his last year.  DA has saved our bacon in some games, but he's just aging out. He's got a mess of kids, many under 5.  This is it for him.  We need to develop Kayaa so that he can come in and do something for us.  The staff likes him, so there's that.  But this season, if Cam can't go, would you rather have a known quantity who has played and won for our team, a guy who only lights it up against 3-4th string players (Webb) or a developmental guy who put the ball on the ground in crunch time (Gilbert)?  So that's why we keep DA.

Some teams can afford the rookie mistakes, to let them grow and learn on the field.  We're not in that phase.  Sure, Cleveland is, but we stand a much better chance of winning than Cleveland.

23 minutes ago, d-dave said:

I'll say that I appreciated that Webb did anything the team asked: play WR, ST and QB3?  No problem.  He is a great dude, and Buffalo is going to be happy with what he does to the locker room.

On the flip side, that's the nature of the business.  You have to make the tough decisions.

The team making tough decisions doesn't bother me.

The fact that the two guys in charge now have a strong tendency to make the wrong decisions bothers me a lot.

Archived