• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Walking Dead

rodeo

Last season everyone was pissed because there wasn't enough shooting, this season everyone is pissed because there's too much shooting. The Rick and Daryl fight was awful but I guess it was in the comic and everyone wanted it? I loved all the Negan/Saviors stuff this week, and I was sick to death of him last season. That actor just kills it. I'll bet the tiger thing was a lot cooler in the comics than on the TV. But the guy playing the King also did a great job with a tough role. Carol was great even though that whole scheme with the button seemed a bit out there.

It almost looks like they’re setting up a Daryl death, but I doubt it’ll ever happen.

This week just proved that Negan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan are probably the only thing worth watching for. 

Interested to see what the helicopter is about. Maybe a FTWD crossover?

1 hour ago, Bronn said:

It almost looks like they’re setting up a Daryl death, but I doubt it’ll ever happen.

This week just proved that Negan and Jeffrey Dean Morgan are probably the only thing worth watching for. 

Interested to see what the helicopter is about. Maybe a FTWD crossover?

I'm not watching FTWD.  Watched the first season and couldn't get into it.  But I did read where FTWD confirmed they are about to hit a crossover soon on their show.   So yeah, I could see them doing more than the one that has already come out. 

what was the helicopter part about?  Just a random fly over in the distance?  Anyone see it? 

I didn't really watch this week.  It was on.  But was doing stuff around the house.  Given no one has said anything about this past week it doesn't sound like I missed anything.   I know they went back and did the Father Gabriel/Negan stuff.   Wasn't enough to get me into it. 

4 hours ago, CRA said:

I'm not watching FTWD.  Watched the first season and couldn't get into it.  But I did read where FTWD confirmed they are about to hit a crossover soon on their show.   So yeah, I could see them doing more than the one that has already come out. 

what was the helicopter part about?  Just a random fly over in the distance?  Anyone see it? 

I didn't really watch this week.  It was on.  But was doing stuff around the house.  Given no one has said anything about this past week it doesn't sound like I missed anything.   I know they went back and did the Father Gabriel/Negan stuff.   Wasn't enough to get me into it. 

There was also a helicopter flyover that passed over rick on the road in season 1.. but that also went unexplained and now another one?? is rick seeing things?

I think the helicopter is another callback to season 1, but it's more symbolic than anything. 

Let's look at some of the callbacks so far and sort of compare my own perceived "meaning" to them.

Carl cold open shot
Season 1: Rick is seeing this new world on only the 2nd day since waking up. It's startling and scary and he HAS to kill a walker at a gas station to survive/put her out of her misery.

Season 8: Carl is not new to this. He's well adjusted and prepared to handle himself, but he is also trying to keep some humanity. Rick shooting at/above the guy at the gas station is to show the ruthlessness that has taken over Rick since season 1. He doesn't afford people the chance to show that they're good because all he sees are threats.

Morales
Season 1: Rick meets Morales and the two become friends. Rick is "officer friendly", just a guy looking for his family and willing to help others. Morales is just a guy with a family looking to provide for them, but willing to help those in need.

Season 8: Rick meets Morales as a Savior. Morales and Rick have both basically become the same thing, but Rick is attempting to return to more season 1 Rick. Just a way of contrasting two characters from season 1 and how loyalty doesn't necessarily carry over. This is big because I think loyalty is an overarching theme of the season, but also highlights how Rick became not so different from his enemies now, which leads to...

Choke holds illegal
Season 1: Shane puts Daryl in a choke hold 5 minutes after Rick (and audience) meets him. This occurs as Daryl is unhinged at the news of Merle being left in Atlanta. Daryl utters the "choke holds illegal" line. Rick then talks sense into Daryl.

Season 8: Daryl puts Rick in a choke hold. Afterwards, Rick tells Daryl "choke holds illegal". It is a fun call back, but the mindset of the two characters here are similar to season 1. Daryl is bent on going crazy and getting revenge, Rick is trying to stay level-headed, and the two are presumably still close after their scuffle just as they were drawn closer after that scuffle (though it was mostly with Shane) in season 1.

Helicopter
Season 1: The helicopter symbolized help, hope, and a "north star" for Rick. Chase after it, find something good. Salvation, food, safety, etc.

Season 3: The helicopter symbolized help and hope for Andrea and Michonne. It crashes, thus crashed hope.

Season 8: The helicopter is more ominous to Rick. He doesn't go running after it. He looks confused above all. To this point, since coming to Virginia, they've seen no helicopters. It's confusing to him. Also, Negan or the Saviors DID mention a "fly by" (I believe) earlier in the episode. So where the helicopter symbolized hope previously, it may symbolize danger and a threatening presence now.

These are the glaring ones. There were several small call backs this season that many probably missed (Negan saying "lemme ask you somethin', Rick". The orange backpack. Et al). I think those callbacks are to pay homage to how we got here and sort of sets up Rick as "coming full circle". He's becoming much more balanced and more like his season 1 and 2 self where he did what was necessary without much hesitation, but he didn't want to lose his humanity. Ever since the premiere, we're seeing Rick looking at the brutality of everything with different eyes. This is seen after Carl gets upset at him for shooting at the guy at the gas station in the season premiere, Rick's offer of peace to Negan and the Saviors (even cracking on Negan's "you're gonna make me count?" line from last season, which is a very season 1 Rick thing to do), after Daryl shoots the kid that was hiding behind the tree after Rick promised his safety in exchanged for information, after Daryl vows to blow up the Sanctuary even if it means killing innocent families inside. Rick is wanting to get back to that place where he was a good man that could not be compared to somebody like Negan or the Governor. That's the main plot point as of now I think and the callbacks show some of that well.

On 11/13/2017 at 11:46 AM, CRA said:

TWD was like, these shitty Tiger special effects are way too much.  What should we do?  Meh, who cares, let's just kill the Tiger as weakly as possible.   How come the King magically could climb up and out once the Tiger died but couldn't before hand.  Zombies couldn't scale uphill like that so it didn't matter that Sheeba distracted them.   That "rescue" was whack. 

708BC961-3E89-43F9-9316-CBD0E77E0294.gif

So I haven’t watched the last 2 weeks but my wife has....said Morgan is now going to be on Fear The Walking Dead? LOL

so Morgan gonna find a Stargate to transport back and forth during the zombie apocalypse? 

So bad.  

2 hours ago, Cary Kollins said:

I haven't watched in three weeks and it feels great.

Has any crazy poo happened?

Lennie James is the best actor on TWD by far, kudos to him for getting out. Is FWD as big a dumpster fire as the flagship?

I tried to watch last season and made it until about the halfway point but haven't really cared to finish it yet.

They do a lot of the same dumb stuff that happens in TWD, with probably more annoying characters.

Overall, I'd say it is on par with TWD.

There are a couple characters/actors I like on FTWD, just like on TWD too.

Archived