• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Panthers Plan on Selling Team

Admiral Ackbar

1 hour ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Hasn't this always been the plan?

Well, except for that whole no comment on leaving the Carolinas thing. I imagine that's probably more to retain a bargaining chip to try to exploit tax payers for a new stadium or stadium upgrades than it is a real threat to leave though.

A threat to move as a bargaining chip for something else maybe but the Panthers are not even close to needing a new stadium.  Despite the "it's old and was built a long time ago" they did something very smart back then when they built Panther Stadium, and something the older venues didn't have, and that was there is a lot of club and box seats in there.  That is usually the main reason why owners want a new stadium.  Plus the stadium is very nice, of course some will disagree, with still plenty of space to do stuff in and around it.  Overall it's still a very good stadium in a great location.   

8 minutes ago, grateflday said:

A threat to move as a bargaining chip for something else maybe but the Panthers are not even close to needing a new stadium.  Despite the "it's old and was built a long time ago" they did something very smart back then when they built Panther Stadium, and something the older venues didn't have, and that was there is a lot of club and box seats in there.  That is usually the main reason why owners want a new stadium.  Plus the stadium is very nice, of course some will disagree, with still plenty of space to do stuff in and around it.  Overall it's still a very good stadium in a great location.   

You can absolutely take it to the bank that the new ownership group will try to get something out of the taxpayers after spending billions to acquire the Panthers. That's as guaranteed as death and taxes. 

42 minutes ago, RumHam said:

With the first pick in the 2020 draft the st. Louis panthers select

I live near St Louis..part of me would be happy with that, but Carolina sounds so much better and I love all Carolina sports. Let’s hope a move doesn’t happen.

16 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

He would only be selling his share of the team.  The other shareholders have a say in this.  The wildcard is whether the join him. 

He's the majority owner and in NC, the majority owner dictates what happens to the team.  The other owners will simply reap the benefits of investing in the team way back when.  One would hope they'd step up since most have ties to the region, but we'll just have to wait and see. They literally have no say in what happens to the team.

29 minutes ago, grateflday said:

20 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

You can absolutely take it to the bank that the new ownership group will try to get something out of the taxpayers after spending billions to acquire the Panthers. That's as guaranteed as death and taxes. 

Sure, I can agree to that and why I said "a bargaining chip for something else maybe" ...  That could be a tax incentive/reduction to "stay in Charlotte" , money for more work on, in and around the stadium, etc . .who knows; but I just don't see a new stadium.  

Overall I don't like the ambiguity.  It would be nice to know the transition plan.  

I hope the new owners we are are also progressive and if we arent successful this year i agree to clean house. I do like wilks though but he should return to his position or be an assistant to the DC. My fear and i know this will sound crazy is that in mr richarderson's  will he will have it the the new owner has to ask first where they see fit the team should be located to and will be sacrificial lamb to moving internationally or other location. I may not live in either carolina but i love the team alot and hope it stays and grows along with the city.

Archived