• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

BYRD

juliosantos

Birdie bird BYRD! Do we see him start over Shepard this week if shepard is a heathy scratch?  Byrd has out produced shepards stats in half a game and i love seeing his speed defenses will have to respect that . Or will ron be ron that always favors vets and never makes any changes? I hope byrd gets another chance he looked great with those two touchdowns and cam clearly trusts him so he should be the starter across from funchess .

He essentially already is.  He's doubled Shepard's snaps the last two weeks. Percent of snaps per week since Byrd's return in the chart below:

Player Week 13 Week 14 Week 15
Funchess   82.5 70.3 85.3
Shepard 56.1 35.9 30.7
Bersin 17.5 26.6 22.7
Clay 43.9 4.7 6.7
Byrd 40.4 59.4 68

This place is unbelievable. During the off season I said 100% we wouldn't bring Ginn back because Byrd will fill that roll and everybody on this site talked poo and acted like I didn't know what i was looking at... Now you guys want him starting opposite Funchess lol Byrd has all the talent in the world but lacks ideal size, but there's something special about him. I don't think he's an every down WR, but he belongs in the offense as much as possible. Dude can fly, has great concentration, and can take any short route the distance.  Defenses HAVE to respect him amd his ability, then add in the fact that Cam is finally getting game reps with him... Just dangerous 

14 minutes ago, brandon_87 said:

During the off season I said 100% we wouldn't bring Ginn back because Byrd will fill that roll and everybody on this site talked poo and acted like I didn't know what i was looking at... 

Ginn and Byrd and nothing alike.  Ginn is an outside receiver who can get off the jam and reliably push the ball down the field.  He is also a 10-year vet who still happens to be faster than anyone on our team.  Byrd is a slot WR with great quickness and is just starting to learn the game and is a few years away from being a true #2, well-polished WR.  The reality is, Byrd should be our #2 WR opposite Funchess because our WR core is that shallow and lacking talent, and he's the second best thing we got.

26 minutes ago, juliosantos said:
Birdie bird BYRD! Do we see him start over Shepard this week if shepard is a heathy scratch?  Byrd has out produced shepards stats in half a game and i love seeing his speed defenses will have to respect that . Or will ron be ron that always favors vets and never makes any changes? I hope byrd gets another chance he looked great with those two touchdowns and cam clearly trusts him so he should be the starter across from funchess .

I think Byrd will get even more snaps this week. I doubt Shep is inactive though. He has disappointed as a receiver all season, but he has been spot on when on ST. I think Bersin or Clay (if Byrd can return punts) will be the odd man out if we sit a receiver.

7 minutes ago, shaqattaq said:

I think Byrd will get even more snaps this week. I doubt Shep is inactive though. He has disappointed as a receiver all season, but he has been spot on when on ST. I think Bersin or Clay (if Byrd can return punts) will be the odd man out if we sit a receiver.

I never thought I would say this, but I would rather Bersin be active over Clay.  Clay is fast, but man his hands are suspect.  

35 minutes ago, brandon_87 said:

[Byrd] has great concentration

his butt catch on sunday was absolutely spectacular in this aspect. he literally plucked the ball out of the air on the way to the ground after being knocked over. i didnt even realize how special that catch was until i got home from the game and was able to see some replays. 

Just now, UpstatePanther said:

his butt catch on sunday was absolutely spectacular in this aspect. he literally plucked the ball out of the air on the way to the ground after being knocked over. i didnt even realize how special that catch was until i got home from the game and was able to see some replays. 

Funchess couldn

20 minutes ago, X-Clown on 1 said:

Ginn and Byrd and nothing alike.  Ginn is an outside receiver who can get off the jam and reliably push the ball down the field.  He is also a 10-year vet who still happens to be faster than anyone on our team.  Byrd is a slot WR with great quickness and is just starting to learn the game and is a few years away from being a true #2, well-polished WR.  The reality is, Byrd should be our #2 WR opposite Funchess because our WR core is that shallow and lacking talent, and he's the second best thing we got.

Byrd has all the same skills as Ginn, just hasn't been given the opportunity that Ginn was, Ginn was a first rounder and should have been a lot better then he is. A WR that can't catch is a DB, aside from muffing a punt in pre season,Byrd hasn't dropped anything and the way he attacks the ball in the air is exactly how it is supposed to be done. Just give Byrd time and reps in this system and you'll forget who Ginn even is

Archived