• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Bucky Brooks on Why Norv Turner's a brilliant hire for the Panthers

trueblade

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Cam led the team in rushing, and almost won a playoff game in New Orleans with a bunch of practice squad wide receivers, but he isn't being "pushed enough".

:eyeroll:

I guess he's talking about consistent mechanics or pushed to focus on being more accurate. But like I said, you can't go off just the numbers

1 hour ago, top dawg said:

I do blame some things on Newton,  but until he has the legit weapons,  the lines will always be blurry as to how good that he can be and whether or not he's the main thing holding him(self) back. 

If he could have 1/2 of the drops his receivers have had over the years he'd probably be well over 60%.

5 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Cam led the team in rushing, and almost won a playoff game in New Orleans with a bunch of practice squad wide receivers, but he isn't being "pushed enough".

:eyeroll:

it sucks but the past is the past, lets take the positive out of the situation. He was pushed to the brink and had to put the team on his back. Next year when we have actual weapons he will be able to make even better throw's due to the incredibly small window's he had to deal with this season.

18 minutes ago, beastson said:

I guess he's talking about consistent mechanics or pushed to focus on being more accurate. But like I said, you can't go off just the numbers

16 minutes ago, luke nukem said:

it sucks but the past is the past, lets take the positive out of the situation. He was pushed to the brink and had to put the team on his back. Next year when we have actual weapons he will be able to make even better throw's due to the incredibly small window's he had to deal with this season.

We all know Cam has imperfections, people call me a homer but even I know he's got spotty accuracy at times. But I think we should all be able to agree that his struggles in the offense at times this past year aren't for a lack of effort or improvement. You don't hear about this lack of being pushed as a competitor when guys like Luke miss tackles or have off games. It happens to all players sometimes.

57 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

My biggest gripe with Newton is how damn streaky he is. I hope that Norv and co. can bring some consistency to the offense as a whole. 

I've always wondered if Cam's streakiness was a product of scheme.  We are going to find out.

39 minutes ago, Manther said:

I've always wondered if Cam's streakiness was a product of scheme.  We are going to find out.

Very well could be, but his fundamentals as a passer are severely lacking and that has something to do with it as well. When Cam is on, there isn't a defense in the league that wants to face him.

But he hasn't been on consistently since 2015. I sure as hell hope that isn't his peak because he has the potential to do that every year. Fingers crossed that Norv is the key. 

Interesting that Brooks seems to think, at least according to this article, that the offense (and Shula's) lack of success of late was because of Cam's unwillingness to be "challenged" and Cam's lack of "desire", so Turner is brought in to "fix" these deficiencies. 

Somehow, inevitably, the sports media will always find a way to blame Cam.

3 hours ago, AceBoogie said:

The fact that most of his interceptions come on third down to me is an indictment on him but the team as a whole. Third down is his last chance to stay on the field and the team is often in situations where he has to try to force a 3rd down throw. 

I’ve never been a fan of completion percentage or passer rating which can all be inflated by system. They don’t tell you poo about a quarterback.

Play calling on first and second down, or lack of execution of the same, results in the Cam 'we need a miracle' 3rd down. Over and over again

Archived