• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

THOUGHT ON MATT KALIL

juliosantos

1 hour ago, theballboy said:

When you are signing a guy like Kalil who you know that he needs a new scenary, you dont give him a 5yr/55mil. You give him a 1-2 yr prove it deal. Like really, what’s the sole purpose of giving Kalil that much money? Based on what? His rookie year? or bc Ryan Kalil his brother was vouching for him?

No offense but I believe you might be a bit out of touch with how much money left tackles make, even bad ones

ill defer to Mr. Scott and others but after year 2, Panthers can cut bait I believe. Might even Have been this past season

Gettlemen may have had his issues but handing  out contracts not to the orgs advantage was not one of them 

He actually did find us a franchise LT in Oher. Injuries happen.  Dave scrambled. 

Matt is not good and that contract is horrible, I hope he rebounds next year but that’s not likely. And we don’t know if whitworth even wanted to come here. I don’t know why people are acting like we chose Matt over him. We haven’t a clue.

blue chip offensive lineman are going to continue to be hard to get. The talent in college is just not there and expect that to keep going down. That’s why norwell should be a priority over Star imo 

4 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

No offense but I believe you might be a bit out of touch with how much money left tackles make, even bad ones

ill defer to Mr. Scott and others but after year 2, Panthers can cut bait I believe. Might even Have been this past season

Gettlemen may have had his issues but handing  out contracts not to the orgs advantage was not one of them 

Ohhh... but he did. Cutting him after this season carries a 14.7M cap hit. There is no “out” like people keep claiming. Truth is, we haven’t even begun to pay for him like we will after this year. 

19 hours ago, Ace_Aladdin said:

Keep him as OT, a lot of his early mistakes where mental which happens coming into a new scheme. Having another off-season for conditioning and having All-Pro Norwell next to him in 2018 will get this offense rolling.

We can extend Norwell & Star but will have to let other veterans go.

Cut: 

J-Stew

Dickson

Adams

Johnson

Gano

Cap is going to go up about another 5-10%. I heard on ESPN that bids for the supposed "dying Thursday Night Football" is coming in high from all the bidders.

Gano isn’t going anywhere, and the NFL is still king by a very wide margin. The Stories of the NFL’s death have been greatly exaggerated.

21 hours ago, juliosantos said:

He had a real rough season for the price we paid for him and now we might not be able to re sign norwell  and we have no chance of cutting him this season because of all the dead money.If we do let norwell walk would we be better off moving matt inside and have moton play tackle? This has worked with the titans two years ago with byron bell and has worked this year with moving remmers to guard. Do you think kalil would be better as a guard then a tackle? yay or nay 

If Moton is worse than Matt Kalil at LT, we can go ahead and cut him now.

20 hours ago, Mage said:

I supported Gettleman, but it astounds me he was willing to pay Kalil and not Norman. Terrible decision.

what is the cap penalty to cut Matt now, vs as soon as 2018 starts?

almost a rhetorical question...

as far as JN, that was a fug up on both sides.

Matt was rough early on, but I thought he did a banged up job for the rest of the way.  He's serviceable at best.  Now as for Gettlemen giving him the money, I wasn't for that.  I wanted Kalil, but only on a prove it kind of deal.  I also wanted Riley Reiff.  If we had to give either the long term deal, I definitely was pushing that for Reiff, and bringing in Kalil to play RT.  Interestingly enough, Reiff is still playing in the playoffs.

Everyone is bashing Gettleman, but with little cap money we went to the superbowl and won three consecutive conference titles .  Lets see who wins a superbowl first after this year.  Will it be the Giants with an aging qb and other problems or will it be the Panthers with Hurney and new ownership.   I hope its the Panthers , but i won't bash Gettleman until I see if we are better off without him as our GM .

3 minutes ago, catnip said:

Everyone is bashing Gettleman, but with little cap money we went to the superbowl and won three consecutive conference titles .  Lets see who wins a superbowl first after this year.  Will it be the Giants with an aging qb and other problems or will it be the Panthers with Hurney and new ownership.   I hope its the Panthers , but i won't bash Gettleman until I see if we are better off without him as our GM .

DG has money. MH walked into some money...

The Giants are in a rebuilding mode. Can Hurney get it done for one year without blowing next years money? or 2020...

Archived