• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jeremy Hill - Potential Buy Low RB Option for Norv

Soul Rebel

I’d love to get Hyde or Hill or even the guy up in Cleveland (his name escapes me atm, but he’s been talked about here recently). I’m all for drafting one, but if we can get one of those guys and spend the pick elsewhere, that’s more efficient use of cap + draft if you ask me. 

Hill would be a good cheap signing for a power run game then go after Tyrell Pryor for wr I think he would do well here. I would even give our 1st pick for josh Gordon if we could. I think the only big money contracts go to free agency star is gone and depending on how much norwell wants he is gone too we have young talent already on the Roster to fill the holes

Jonathan Stewart saves 3.7 million. 

So you have to do better for 3.7 million.

can we get Hill for 3.7 million?

besides younger is he really better?

the excuses will say he was “misused”—- I say that about Stewart. Haters say slow or lost a step bla bla bla.

Hill I could say the same. 

Can he pass protect? Can he catch? If so sure, he’s big and young, probably more of a definite than a draft pick will be.

will Cinci really let him go for that cheap if he’s good?

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

According to Sportrac it's $8.7M: http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/marqise-lee-14448/market-value/

Might not be 100%, but they had Short's market value pretty close to what we paid him. $7M per season that I think will happen is basically in the Garcon, Crabtree, Jones, Stills, Woods, Sanu, and Benjamin range.

I am not sure why this is so hard to understand. Mark Ingram, a former 1st round pick who had 964 yards rushing and 9 TDs in his final contract year, was unable to get anything better than $4M per year. Allen Hurns, a guy who hasn't gotten 500 yards receiving in 2016 or 2017 is getting paid $10M per year. Tavon Austin is getting more than that. Garcon got $9.5M this year. Marcus Wheaton, Brandon Marshall and Jeremy Maclin all signed FA deals this off season to make $1.5M per year more than Ingram. Hyde and Hill are going to get peanuts compared to even a guy like Lee, who even though he gets talked about glowingly in another WR thread still only has 2166 yards and 8 TDs in 4 years. Ingram in only the past two years has 2900 total yards and 22 TDs for half of what Lee gets.

Anyway, I just want us to get good players and if that is a FA WR and a drafted RB, cool. When you talk about cap savings, talking about signing a FA WR is going the wrong way if you want to keep Norwell and Star. A good FA WR (I'm not a fan of Lee, I don't think he's enough of an upgrade), is going to cost us a good amount of money.

And like I told someone else, It's pretty much the prevailing opinion that Austin got grossly overpaid. Hurns' contract didn't seem as bad,  but more than a few considered it too high (and the Jags almost dumped him this summer,  but were lucky they did not).  Lee hasn't even played to Hurns'level,  much less that of Crabtree, Garcon, Benjamin, and probably Woods who have proven to be more productive receivers. I mean,  some of these guys have been quasi ones and twos while Lee has been a three. 

Look,  I'm not arguing whether RBs get paid less,  what I'm saying is that unless we draft a back in the first round,  we are likely going to be paying less than what we'll be paying in free agency.  That,  along with the fact I prefer to take my chances that a fresh back is going to have more upside,  makes me want to invest more money in the WR FA market than in the RB FA market.  To me,  logic says invest in the position that is much harder to learn and transition from coming out of college into the pros, and spend less on the RB,  unless the RB has legit first round talent.

Archived