• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Cam...Manning?

Chardee MacDennis

14 minutes ago, smash_n_dash said:

You should have listed all the other number one picks that were QBs. There has only been a couple others and they were probably browns type teams, no one will save the browns with just a QB pick

1998 Peyton Manning, Colts

1999 Tim Couch, Browns

2001 Michael Vick, Falcons

2002 David Carr, Texans

2003 Carson Palmer, Bengals

2004 Eli Manning, Chargers/Giants

2005 Alex Smith, 49ers

2007 JaMarcus Russell, Raiders

2009 Matthew Stafford, Lions

2010 Sam Bradford, Rams

2011 Cam Newton, Panthers

2012 Andrew Luck, Colts

2015 Jameis Winston, Buccaneers

2016 Jared Goff, Rams

14 first overall QBs out of 20 drafts... That's a lot. And not all to sh*tty teams or organizations. The track record of first overall QBs since Peyton really is not good. Cam's by far easily the best outside of Peyton and I'm glad we hit on him.

20 minutes ago, smash_n_dash said:

You should have listed all the other number one picks that were QBs. There has only been a couple others and they were probably browns type teams, no one will save the browns with just a QB pick

Off the top of my head, Luck, Vick, Goff. Browns haven’t even taken a QB #1. They usually take them in the 20s or later

On the one hand, that stat is surprising. You'd expect elite QB prospects to be participating in more Super Bowls. On the other hand, teams that are in the position of landing the #1 overall pick and in sad ass shape and it's a long, uphill battle for teams in those positions and a very tough spot to be in for a young QB. I'd be willing to bet that a lot of those careers may have turned out better had those young men been able to land in better situations for their development. Then you have guys like Palmer, Luck, Stafford, Smith, etc. who are good QBs they just haven't made it to a Super Bowl. I mean hell, Dan Marino only played in one Super Bowl and that was his rookie year and he's still considered one of the greatest QBs ever. Football is the ultimate team sport. The greatest of QBs can only do so much to carry a team that just plain isn't good enough.

2 minutes ago, Chardee MacDennis said:

The point is we absolutely hit on Cam as our pick, and he is really just like the Manning brothers. 

And we are lucky. So there's that. 

The only people that dont like Cam are people that will never like him. I won't get into the reasons, but we all know them

6 minutes ago, Chardee MacDennis said:

The point is we absolutely hit on Cam as our pick, and he is really just like the Manning brothers. 

And we are lucky. So there's that. 

except both of them won their first Super Bowls

I guess you could say Payton didnt win the SB until his age 30 / 9th season , so.. that would be the equivalent of Cam winning the SB in the 2019 season. 

oh actually Eli won in his age 26 season (equavlent of Cam's 2015 season /age 26) and Eli won the 2nd SB in his age 30 season (just like above/ would be Cam's 2019 season)

...maybe some signs we'll go back to the SB in 2019? lol. It kinda makes sense tho. We'll have new Owner , new OC, new DC, new Dline coach, possibly new GM, and probably some new players or players that havent been featured that much in the past will be more of the focus in the future. Probably take a year to get some cohesion and make a decent playoff run next year, and then when the SB the following year? 

Somehow I think we'll win a SB within the next 4 years. And finally get a "America's Game " documentary about the Panthers made!

Archived