• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Jason La Confora: "hearing that Park Avenue is putting pressure on [Panthers] to go outside the organization for their hires and make this go away."

Saca312

That would make perfect sense.

What's sad is that it would actually be better for the Panthers too, but Jerry Richardson will Only do what's best for the team if someone else forces him to. 

Other than that, he'll just continue to live in his own deluded, narcissistic little world where Marty Hurney is the best GM in NFL history and nobody else comprehends his genius.

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

What a mess. I hope this doesn’t set us back 10 years.

If we come out of this with a better GM than Hurney, I won't view that as a setback.

It'll be a step in the right direction that will get even better when Jerry Richardson is out of the picture.

i don't like the idea of getting pressured by outside forces to make decisions, but if they decided to give hurney the full time job, regardless of whether or not they think he's the best man for the job, it would be a PR nightmare. like it or not, PR matters, esp. concerning new ownership coming in. new ownership is going to want to completely erase all the old vestiges of what has ow become a stained legacy. 

he's damaged goods now and it doesn't really matter if it's just his wife being nuts or him. he's got to go. i know people within the org. may think that he's the best option, but i think they aren't completely capable of thinking objectively because they've got an environment where loyalty to people within the organization is paramount. take him off the table and allow yourself to be completely objective in making a decision and put someone in who could possibly be considered to stay on when new ownership comes.

1 minute ago, The Lobo said:

What a mess. I hope this doesn’t set us back 10 years.

bringing him back has already done that. i have as much faith in hurney being able to evolve into a good GM as i had in shula becoming a competent OC. 2018 will be fine. it's every year after that i don't have much faith in him being able to have a positive impact.

read this

Given Friel’s trip to Charlotte less than a week after the NFL learned of the allegations against Hurney, the league appears to have expedited its investigation of Hurney. Friel also apparently met with Panthers officials this week, according to a source.

Richardson wants to let the process with Hurney play out before making any decisions about his future, according to a team source. Hurney, named the interim GM in July after Dave Gettleman’s firing, interviewed for the full-time position last week with the team’s four-person search committee.

JR said nope, speed this up so I can make my decision and the NFL has speed up the investigation. 

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i don't like the idea of getting pressured by outside forces to make decisions, but if they decided to give hurney the full time job, regardless of whether or not they think he's the best man for the job, it would be a PR nightmare. like it or not, PR matters, esp. concerning new ownership coming in. new ownership is going to want to completely erase all the old vestiges of what has ow become a stained legacy. 

he's damaged goods now and it doesn't really matter if it's just his wife being nuts or him. he's got to go. i know people within the org. may think that he's the best option, but i think they aren't completely capable of thinking objectively because they've got an environment where loyalty to people within the organization is paramount. take him off the table and allow yourself to be completely objective in making a decision and put someone in who could possibly be considered to stay on when new ownership comes.

See, and therein lies the problem.

The people who operate within the leadership of the Panthers organization work in an atmosphere where loyalty to Jerry Richardson is the ultimate virtue.

How else do you explain people like Ron Rivera and Steve Wilks - men who I would normally consider stand up guys - rallying support for someone as sleazy as Jerry Richardson has been shown to be?

If I could ask Ron Rivera one question right now, it would be this: How would you respond if you found out a man talked to your daughter the way Jerry Richardson was talking to the employees in his office?

Would you stand up for that guy? Would you defend him as a person of good character? And if it upset her, would you tell her not to worry about it?

It just boggles the mind.

11 minutes ago, rayzor said:

bringing him back has already done that. i have as much faith in hurney being able to evolve into a good GM as i had in shula becoming a competent OC. 2018 will be fine. it's every year after that i don't have much faith in him being able to have a positive impact.

What kills me man, is the simple fact the NFL had to put pressure on JR to go outside the organization to hire a new GM. He was so content on mediocrity and having his "yes sir" guys around him, he was going to hire Hurney again. You CANNOT make this s hit up. The new Owner whether it be the Belks, Dale Earnhardt Junior, Bill Gates, James Goodnight, Michael Jordan, Hank Aaron, etc. couldn't get here fast enough. 

9 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It just boggles the mind.

I wish it did to me, still. I've become numb to it. You have your Coach keep a clear weak link on the football team for too long (Shula). And not pressure him to get a better replacement. You hire a guy that has been incompetent at every form of life (heard he ran his own Radio Station into the ground) in Marty Hurney AGAIN. Fire a guy that while not making every move work, was solid and cared more about winning than being a yes man (Gettlemen). And consistently kept one of the softest Coaches in the NFL. Yeah, it's not that shocking anymore. 

Archived