• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

I miss the days of being a causal Panther fan

Hotsauce

I miss the days where news like the Marty hiring ruin my day (and possibly my entire offseason). 

I miss the days where I wasn’t constantly checking media outlets and the Huddle for the latest news on what boneheaded moves this organization makes. 

Seriously, I miss being able to “clock in” on Sunday morning to prepare and watch the game, then be able to “clock out” from the Panthers after the game was over. 

I realize that I am talking to the rabid part of this fan base, but I have to imagine so if you feel the same???

It's fun following the team close through sites like this and hanging on every detail of the team. That makes us in the top 1% of informed Panthers fans I would guess, for better or for worse. Enjoy being a fan but try not to let something completely out of your control affect your life too much.

7 minutes ago, Hotsauce said:

I miss the days where news like the Marty hiring ruin my day (and possibly my entire offseason). 

I miss the days where I wasn’t constantly checking media outlets and the Huddle for the latest news on what boneheaded moves this organization makes. 

Seriously, I miss being able to “clock in” on Sunday morning to prepare and watch the game, then be able to “clock out” from the Panthers after the game was over. 

I realize that I am talking to the rabid part of this fan base, but I have to imagine so if you feel the same???

Sauce,  I remember what you said the other day.  You can tell me to kiss off,  but it seems like you would go back to those days with what you're facing.  Or,  is it a case where this is one of your main sources of enjoyment and entertainment? I guess that I could see myself throwing myself into the Panthers even more. 

Honestly,  it's almost like the Panthers winning it all is on my bucket list,  but it's something that I don't have any control over whatsoever.  Even if I wanted to exorcise this sometimes seemingly ghost of a dream from my dome, it just seems impossible.  My mind would have to be gone, and I hope that doesn't happen. 

If you're talking about my son, yes, he loves Cam - it's part of what made me realize that most Cam fandom is about hero worship and not football, honestly...he'll hate that I said that, but I can only be honest. I don't know if you have kids yourself, but getting T a Newton jersey for his birthday (three years ago) was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

I came up with the "Wonder Woman" nickname while ribbing him and my daughter about it, actually.

20 minutes ago, Hotsauce said:

You just have to balance it out man, and keep things in perspective. 

I haven’t gotten mad about a move since we drafted Butler. It’s just knowing how big some issues really are and what is worth getting upset about and what isn’t.

for example, I hated Shula with a passion, hated that he was our OC before he ever coached his first game with us. But getting myself worked up about it game after game isn’t going to change anything. 

To barrow a phrase from the king of mediocrity “it is what it is” - John Fox.

things that are way over blown about Hurney was his drafting. As a whole he was actually pretty good. And outside of Everrett brown and Edwards drafts he did a good job. People like to pick those out, but forget a lot of the home runs he hit, And he hit a bunch, and honestly at this point Hurney was way better at the draft then DG.

what got Hurney fired and what I hated about him was that he gets too emotionally attached to players and WAY overpays to keep them here.

im not excited, but I’m not upset either, and let’s be honest Hurney is only here till the new owner takes over and hires his guy.

17 minutes ago, RetiredCollegeCoach said:

If you're talking about my son, yes, he loves Cam - it's part of what made me realize that most Cam fandom is about hero worship and not football, honestly...he'll hate that I said that, but I can only be honest. I don't know if you have kids yourself, but getting T a Newton jersey for his birthday (three years ago) was one of the hardest things I've ever had to do.

I came up with the "Wonder Woman" nickname while ribbing him and my daughter about it, actually.

Well this post right here deems any football opinion you ever have on here irrelevant.

I check the Huddle everyday, but do so in a casual manner.

By that I mean I look at it when I'm naked.

But I've just embraced the idea that I have nothing to do with managing the team, I don't know how to evaluate talent, I have no better knowledge than anyone actually running things, etc. Love reading whats going on, but never get upset about anything, constant change is a given in this sport/business.

I buy the tickets, get to the tailgate early, and root for the players to win.

3 minutes ago, RetiredCollegeCoach said:

I tell people what they don't like to hear. That was my job as a coach, and now it's just hardened into habit. 

Panthers are a marketing driven team, and the QB was selected for that purpose. Nevermind that he is wasting the primes of some fine players and coaches.

I mean you're definitley trolling. There is no way you believe that unless you have a form of CTE. 

Imagine thinking Cam is wasting the coaches primes and not vice versa? No one can be that stupid.

The sad thing for me is that is much of a Critic of Ron Rivera as I've been, after he fired Shula and Dorsey, it gave me some hope that maybe he could turn it around.

Rivera is, by all accounts, a really great guy. He's the kind of guy that you can cheer for, even if you don't necessarily think that much of his abilities.

But now, he's going into a season where he'll be auditioning to keep his job. And he'll be doing so with Marty Hurney as GM.

Not good.

I think nearly everybody expects Marty to be gone next year. Unfortunately, there's a decent chance that Rivera will be too.

36 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

But now, he's going into a season where he'll be auditioning to keep his job.

Which I think is a very good thing. He's always coached better when his back is up against the wall. After 2013 and after 2015 his job was safe, and that resulted in 2014 and 2016... We had an okay year last year going 11-5 and making the playoffs but it was nowhere near close enough (because of the wildcard loss) to ensuring the new owner would keep Rivera around at least past 2018--which is a very good thing if you ask me. I think we finally break the curse of no back to back winning seasons this year. 

Archived