• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Gano signs 4 yr $17 Million w/ $9 Million Guaranteed

SOJA

Players get paid based on market value at the time they sign. For a probowl kicker who was the best from a field goal made percentage and the best from 40-49 yards which are the money kicks, he got paid fairly. He helps special teams routinely kicking off with no return. This was a win-win contract for both sides. Good negotiation and good deal for everyone concerned. Anyone throwing shade has an agenda against Gano or Hurney. Otherwise Panther fans should be excited.

1 minute ago, Mr. Scot said:

Well, not blowing an 18 point lead would have helped.

You have an answer for all the misses "-Clown posted, I assume?

Greater chance of winning if Butker nailed the kick.

He did play with a broken bone in his foot. 

Just now, panthers55 said:

Players get paid based on market value at the time they sign. For a probowl kicker who was the best from a field goal made percentage and the best from 40-49 yards which are the money kicks, he got paid fairly. He helps special teams routinely kicking off with no return. This was a win-win contract for both sides. Good negotiation and good deal for everyone concerned. Anyone throwing shade has an agenda against Gano or Hurney. Otherwise Panther fans should be excited.

After looking at it more and reading stuff on here, I feel much better than when I first read the deal. It’s below the Tag so I’m good.

1 minute ago, Car123 said:

Greater chance of winning if Butker nailed the kick.

He did play with a broken bone in his foot. 

That was answered on the prior page. 

Pretty sure the Titans blew a field goal or an extra point in that game too. I'd have to go back and look to be certain.

He's a good enough kicker, did exactly what was asked of him, screwed up a lot less than most of the kickers employed in the NFL. Is he the best, ehhh probably not. Is he good enough to put in the "we don't have to worry about this" pile, yeah, definitely. 

Good contract for him and the team and a bargain compared to going out and playing "let's find a kicker roulette."

2 minutes ago, Car123 said:

If Gano missed a 52 yard fg in the playoffs in Green Bay you’d be one of the first people calling for Hurney’s head.

No.... that’s you. And all the people that make a decision based on who made it, not on its merit. I’ve wanted Gano gone while Marty was doing his radio show. And Gettleman was in the process of doing it.

If it’s all about some Hurney/Gettleman debate, why would I have been the absolute harshest critic of signing Matt Kalil and still am? How about my rants against the CMC pick? Or who called blaming Hurney for Kalil’s bonus last week the dumbest thing ever. Show me any post, at any time, where you have admitted Hurney made any mistakes. Until then, accept your daily beating and crawl away as usual.

At the end of the day, most of us don't feel good when he comes out for a pressure-filled kick.  You can talk about accuracy percentage but you can't ignore the fact that he isn't taking nearly the amount of harder attempts than other kickers.

Touting him as the best kicker in the league is like bragging about taking Gretzky and the Kings to the Cup on NHL 93 with the icing and offsides off.

Hurney painted himself into a corner by being cute with Butker and Gano made him pay by having a career year during a contract season.  Now we are locked in to a guy for 4 years who will just be getting older and doesn't have a big leg to begin with.

This isn't the hill to die on in regards to knocking Hurney, but I can't understand anyone being happy with this either.

7 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

I did explain it. Zeurlein was #1 points scorer with 158. Gano was 10th. Butker outscored Gano and was 5th. 

Gano had the #1 accuracy this year, but Zeurline only missed one more and it was on a 60 yard attempt. 

Also I edited my original post before I got quoted because I realized it came off super pissy. 

Total points is a stupid statement unless it is in context to attempts made and missed and where they were attempted. If Zeurline only missed 2 and one was almost 60 then that miss doesn't mean much. Sounds like he is a valuable kicker as well. Particularly given how many he attempted.

5 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

That was answered on the prior page. 

Pretty sure the Titans blew a field goal or an extra point in that game too. I'd have to go back and look to be certain.

And Denver blew opportunities in their week 1 win vs us.

5 minutes ago, panthers55 said:

Just because you don’t understand salary cap, doesn’t mean people can’t be upset about giving a K 9M guaranteed, who is one season from one of the worst K in the league. If he reverts to 2016, you ready for that 6.75 cap hit. Or stuck with an overpriced K you can’t afford to cut. 

3 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

Is he good enough to put in the "we don't have to worry about this" pile, yeah, definitely. 

Ooohhh, I'm not sure I'd go that far.

I've seen enough that I still worry when he goes to kick a field goal. Extra points too.

Archived