• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why is it like this with Every. Single. FA Player we discuss?

Hotsauce

11 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

We can cut him and save money. Like I said, his misses don't hurt us for years to come.

Also Shepard was a stud on ST's this year, no one seems to realize it though. There's a reason we weren't bottom half in ST efficiency last year for the first time in forever and Shepard was a major contributing factor for that.

Just because he didn't catch passes doesn't mean he's useless. 

10 million for a special teams player. Genius managing.

18 minutes ago, X-Clown on 1 said:

I think the real question is, why is it that every time ANY FA is released and someone half way recognizes their name, we have to have an article to discuss whether or not we should pick them up?  Then all of the sudden logic and facts go out the window and next thing you know we have polls about whether we should bring in an aging Vet who hasn't been productive in 3 years.  I swear, if Hakeem Nicks said right now he felt like he could still play, we'd have 2 or 3 posts about signing him and our new depth chart.

It's no different than discussing draft prospects who are going elsewhere for the most part.

It's the offseason, what should we be talking about?  Player's tweets?

3 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Nakamura and Nanee were cheap contracts lol.  They don’t even compare to Shepard, Cason, and Kalil.

Mitchell, Ginn, Oher, Florence, Remmers, Tillman, Allen, and Peppers

All major contributors that didn't destroy our cap space. 

Shepard and Cason can be, and were cut, without hurting our bottom line in the future. Keep in mind Cason was brought on in 2014 the year after we overachieved and couldn't afford to retain guys like ginn and Mitchell on cheaper contracts like we had in 2013. 

Kalil's contract had an out next offseason, but now it's up in the air on whether or not that out still exists based on a move Hurney recently made. 

2 minutes ago, Cracka McNasty said:

Mitchell, Ginn, Oher, Florence, Remmers, Tillman, Allen, and Peppers

All major contributors that didn't destroy our cap space. 

Shepard and Cason can be, and were cut, without hurting our bottom line in the future. Keep in mind Cason was brought on in 2014 the year after we overachieved and couldn't afford to retain guys like ginn and Mitchell on cheaper contracts like we had in 2013. 

Kalil's contract had an out next offseason, but now it's up in the air on whether or not that out still exists based on a move Hurney recently made. 

Which free agent did Hurney sign that destroyed our cap space?

11 minutes ago, Car123 said:

10 million for a special teams player. Genius managing.

That's a 3 year deal and Only 2.1 million of that 10 is guaranteed.

So if we really want to save some cash we can cut him. 

Just giving you a more complete story of his contract structure instead of just "lol 10 million".

It's not that bad of a deal. 

Also if you feel that strongly about giving a ST player getting 10 million, how do you feel about Gano's contract?

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

That's a 3 year deal and Only 2.1 million of that 10 is guaranteed.

So if we really want to save some cash we can cut him. 

Just giving you a more complete story of his contract structure instead of just "lol 10 million".

It's not that bad of a deal. 

You’re right, it was a good deal. Russell Shepard lived up to his contract.

3 minutes ago, Car123 said:

You’re right, it was a good deal. Russell Shepard lived up to his contract.

As a vet ST guy? I'd say so. 

Curious as to what your thoughts on the Gano contract are if you are against paying for ST talent. Gano's contract completely dwarfs Shepards in guaranteed money and total money. 

21 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Nakamura and Nanee were cheap contracts lol.  They don’t even compare to Shepard, Cason, and Kalil.

Cason was pennies - similar to the Nakamura contract. The Kalil contract was DG's worst and even it wasn't that bad considering that you can ditch the contract and save cash. I think we were only tied to him for 2 yrs, maybe 3 before cutting him and saving cash on a backoloaded contract. Shepard's is also backloaded and we can save cash immediately by cutting if we wanted.

1 minute ago, Cracka McNasty said:

As a vet ST guy? I'd say so. 

Curious as to what your thoughts on the Gano contract are if you are against paying for ST talent. Gano's contract completely dwarfs Shepards in guaranteed money and total money. 

Yep, I enjoyed watching Shepard’s excellent form on his 7 total tackles last season. Excellent contract.

Better to have a capable kicker than a Tampa situation. I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it.

16 minutes ago, Car123 said:

Yep, I enjoyed watching Shepard’s excellent form on his 7 total tackles last season. Excellent contract.

Better to have a capable kicker than a Tampa situation. I don’t love it, but I don’t hate it.

He also blocks. We had two return touchdowns this past year. 

He does the dirty work man. Sometimes that doesn't show up in the stat line. 

*Edit*

This is incorrect, he had nothing to do with those two TDs. 

Archived