• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

New #DeepThreat Torrey Smith With Only 6 Catches Past 15 Yards In 2017

Saca312

First of all, I just want to get this out of the way and say this isn’t like something that’ll kill us. Yes, it’s only 5 million and it’s very easy to cut him anyways and get that 5 million back and just use Smith as an insurance policy (which we should). 

However, this is by no means addressing the WR position. We need someone better, and I hope we get that guy. Torrey Smith is not the answer no matter how you look at it, and is not the veteran or guy we need.

And of course, our highest paid WR is one of the worst in the NFL according to NFL1000, landing himself in the bottom 10 of the list.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752678-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-outside-wide-receivers-of-2017-season

99. Torrey Smith, Philadelphia Eagles

Route Running: 11/30
Hands: 9/25
YAC: 12/20
Blocking: 7/15
Position Value: 8/10
Overall Grade: 47/100

While Alshon Jeffery's signing was a major hit in Philadelphia, Smith's was a flop. He played a ton but accumulated 430 yards and two touchdowns. The 28-year-old, who was known for his ability to make downfield plays throughout his career, caught six passes that went further than 15 yards this season. Smith struggled with drops, and his blocking in the run game was pitiful at times. He might be one-and-done with the Eagles.

______

Don’t try and kid that we got our WR to help Cam. We can do better than this.

2 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

First of all, I just want to get this out of the way and say this isn’t like something that’ll kill us. Yes, it’s only 5 million and it’s very easy to cut him anyways and get that 5 million back and just use Smith as an insurance policy (which we should). 

However, this is by no means addressing the WR position. We need someone better, and I hope we get that guy. Torrey Smith is not the answer no matter how you look at it, and is not the veteran or guy we need.

And of course, our highest paid WR is one of the worst in the NFL according to NFL1000, landing himself in the bottom 10 of the list.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2752678-nfl1000-ranking-the-top-outside-wide-receivers-of-2017-season

99. Torrey Smith, Philadelphia Eagles

Route Running: 11/30
Hands: 9/25
YAC: 12/20
Blocking: 7/15
Position Value: 8/10
Overall Grade: 47/100

While Alshon Jeffery's signing was a major hit in Philadelphia, Smith's was a flop. He played a ton but accumulated 430 yards and two touchdowns. The 28-year-old, who was known for his ability to make downfield plays throughout his career, caught six passes that went further than 15 yards this season. Smith struggled with drops, and his blocking in the run game was pitiful at times. He might be one-and-done with the Eagles.

______

Don’t try and kid that we got our WR to help Cam. We can do better than this.

Will we do better? 

2 minutes ago, Swaggasaurus said:

Who should we get OP?

Make a large bid on Watkins. Get rid of Torrey and fire at Watkins in the 10-12 million range tbh.

Heck, I’m even okay with going low and grabbing Mike Wallace, Donte Moncrief, or Albert Wilson at this rate.

Torrey Smith is like another Russell Shepard. He’s not going to be doing much except taking away snaps from the younger guys while he himself doesn’t deserve them.

I think the FO has a lot of faith in the younger guys. Samuel and Byrd are the future. Smith is the insurance in case they go down again. Could look like a genius move if cards fall right. Could also look weak in the end.

I do believe it is a positive move though.

I'm not saying Smith will suddenly go off for a 1,000 yard/10 TD season now that he is in Carolina and working with Cam, but Cam does tend to get the best out of his receivers. Additionally, if Byrd is healthy then Smith doesn't even need to be the primary deep threat. He can slot right in as the number two or number three (depending on what we do in free agency and the draft) and fit right in.

If there is talent there, Cam will find it. Ted Ginn is a perfect example. He had six receiving TD's in his first six seasons in the NFL and five receiving TD's in his first year in Carolina. In fact 19 of Ginn's 29 career receiving TD's came in the three years he played with Cam.

If Torrey has some talent left in the tank, Cam will find it.

Archived