• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Ryan Kalil $9.9 mil cap hit

CatMan72

16 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

This is the type of decision that franchises face all the time. The Steelers axed James Harrison mid-season. The Pats let go of respected vets all the time. Unfortunately these are just decisions that NFL teams have to make. Smart, well ran organizations make these moves and don't reward players for past performance at the expense of what's best for the team as a whole. I just cannot be convinced that Ryan Kalil is the best use of nearly $10M in cap space this coming season.

Ryan Kalil is game ready (less than 50% of the time) AND his contribution is no longer statistically different than that of his backup.

His big hit on the team's cap is another matter entirely.

10 million could go a long way in filling some of this team's many other areas of need.

It is time for Hurney to do the right thing and move on from Ryan and use his salary where it can have a greater positive impact on this team's talent level. 

34 minutes ago, Mr. Scot said:

It's not really a question of replacing an All Pro center if he isn't actually an All Pro center anymore.

It's debatable, but arguing about it is ultimately pointless. Regardless based on age and cost he's gone this season or next. But cutting him doesn't solve our run game issues, and the loss of Norwell only further deepens the concern of that aspect. We have our work cut out for us.

19 minutes ago, TheRed said:

It's debatable, but arguing about it is ultimately pointless. Regardless based on age and cost he's gone this season or next. But cutting him doesn't solve our run game issues, and the loss of Norwell only further deepens the concern of that aspect. We have our work cut out for us.

I agree if he gets healthy he can still be very good.  Saying he is done is easy but he has been great here and could be good next year.  You can't predict but if both Kalil's decide to put in the work they can both play well next year.  Matt can still be good if he plays to his talent.  Its possible.  And this is where the team has little alternatives. 

Blaze of glory type stuff...thats what I'm hoping for here for BOTH Kalils.  This is Matt's last run too IMO.

If the Panthers start strong and are contenders I have no doubt that Ryan and Matt will both fight their azes off to win.  No doubt.

28 minutes ago, frash.exe said:

figuring out what we should do with kalil is not as cut and dry as his contract not being translated onto the field. but he is a longtime captain, and guys probably come up to him for leadership.

this is one of those tough, unpopular decisions that you have to make as a good GM. if only we had a GM that was able to do that sort of thing.

You say "Ryan, you have been a great pro and we would love you to be here at your current pay level and teach all these guys including your brother, but we need to better the team in other areas, how about $5 million for this last season"

Then you tell him in DG fashion,  "your little brother will miss you if not"

16 minutes ago, stirs said:

You say "Ryan, you have been a great pro and we would love you to be here at your current pay level and teach all these guys including your brother, but we need to better the team in other areas, how about $5 million for this last season"

Then you tell him in DG fashion,  "your little brother will miss you if not"

His base salary is 4.5m.  You want to give him a raise?

10 minutes ago, pantherphan96 said:

Should have cut Kalil and used that money on Norwell- I'll take our chances with Trai-Larsen-Norwell as our interior OL than Trai-Kalil-Silatolu

I would cut Kalil for Norwell straight up but it seems like OGs are going for crazy money these days.

Just now, Fox007 said:

I would cut Kalil for Norwell straight up but it seems like OGs are going for crazy money these days.

worth locking Norwell down long-term with the savings from Kalil and the rest of our cap space, should leave enough for us to sign our draft picks and some camp bodies. grab a C in the draft at some point as well. Larsen may be a downgrade but at least he is healthy and i'll take our chances with two of the best OG's in the league on either side of him.

Here is the timeline (remember, Marty does not want to make emotional decisions, become loyal to the employees, pay for past performance, etc).  It is long, a conspiracy theory based on facts, but worth the read:

1. October 31.  As interim, even though there was not urgency, Marty Hurney gets rid of Rivera's headache Kelvin Benjamin  ( Nov 28, 2016 -Benjamin was pulled from the game during the Panthers' comeback in the third quarter, and proceeded to throw his helmet down and yell at coaches on the sidelines) AND give Rivera an EXTENSION on Jan 6, 2018, the day before the Saints loss. The timing of both was suspect unless you consider the precarious nature of Marty's temporary employment vs. the owner's suspension and pending sale of the team.  He was placating an ally and wanted RR's support before the uncertain off-season

2. Jan 7:  After getting his extension and after the playoff loss to New Orleans Carolina Panthers coach Ron Rivera said that he appreciates the organization giving the team continuity and Marty Hurney has done a good job as interim general manager.  Quid Pro Quo.

3. Jan 30: Ryan Kalil announces that 2018 will be his last year: "He declined again...to get into the specifics of the injury, saying he doesn’t want opposing players to target it. 'I’m of the mindset to try to keep my medical stuff as private as humanly possible,' he said, adding only that he had been cleared." This follows a Dec 21 Kalil tweet: " Carolina Panthers 10-4, only 1 Pro Bowl player = Ron Rivera Coach of the Year?"  Kissass. Was he trying to prevent being cut by announcing this before a GM would be hired, making cutting a 12-year veteran a heartless move--if Hurney did not get the job? Um, that is exactly what he was doing.

Somehow, the rest of the post (Jan-Feb) was deleted--

Summary: Hurney is operating with loyalty to RR and bias toward Ryan K.  He is not handling Peppers well (deja vu). Trading players who crossed RR by questioning him.  Worley was benched by RR during Eagles game and then questioned RR.  Benjamin had a temper tantrum and yelled at coaches.  Only 2 trades Marty has made....Now he refuses to touch the contract (so far,--still early) of a center that played 7 games a year over past 2.

It seems RR wanted a GM he could control, which is why DG is gone.  That is where Hurney came it.  They are buddies--including Kalil--who are taking care of themselves. 

Archived