• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Lowering The Head To Initiate Contact Is Now A Penalty

Saca312

5 minutes ago, KSpan said:

So what's different about this rule vs what's already in place? Have they now banned it inside the tackle box as well?

You get ejected after two times. It applies to all players, meaning runningbacks will be the most hurt.

18 minutes ago, rbsponsel52 said:

Now this rule is being taken other than lightly after Cam has been hit several times every season with helmet leading hits on him. If none of these targeting hits on Cam ever happened and having having won a SB and a Lombardi possibly without all those unnecessary hits.

NFL Rules Fineprint:  "No leading with the helmet, except when player is tackling Cam Newton."

1 hour ago, Saca312 said:

This is going to be fun. Imagine applying this to runningbacks. 

If this does apply to every player, this rule is dumb and a mistake

https://twitter.com/tompelissero/status/978730407502995456?s=21

I put this in my mistakenly-posted thread:

1. I understand the player safety aspect here and I sympathize and agree with it.

2. Lowering your head in preparation for contact is something both ball carriers and defenders do in anticipation of contact.  I'm afraid this rule is going to have a TREMENDOUS impact on the game and the vast majority of that impact is going to be negative.  And by that I mean its liable to make the game unwatchable.

3. How are players that have used this instinctive, almost-unconscious technique all their lives going to train the instinct to lower their head in anticipation of contact out of themselves?  Personally, I don't think it can be done.

4. At this rate, unfortunately, I think the game of football is beginning its death-throws.  They are slowly but surely making the game unwatchable and, when that finally hits the tipping point, the professional and college games are going to collapse on themselves, because the money will then be GONE.  And that is the lubrication that keeps all those gears turning... $$$.

Archived