• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Charlotte native, CB Adonis Alexander, entering Supplemental Draft

Nails

4 hours ago, Nails said:

Academic ineligibility isn’t a great sign, but hardly a capital offense.  Too bad he didn’t go to UNC and take AFAM.  

Bottom line is a 6’3 DB, even as a project, in this division IS a risk worth taking.  The question is how high of a risk.  

Virginia Tech should have just pretended his last name was “Vick” and he would have been miraculously able to play or do anything else he wanted in Blacksburg.  

I’d probably pass - Virginia Tech is notorious for fielding a football team of kids who wouldnt be able sniff that institution if not for football, and im sure they pulled all the strings that they could to keep him eligible and he still couldnt do it. 

I wonder what would happen if they gave him a drug test tomorrow?

3 hours ago, Mage said:

It's hard to say what pick I would use on him without being able to talk to him, which obviously I can't do.  Academic ineligibility isn't the worst thing in the world, but it could be a sign that he's lazy.  I mean, unless he's dumb, all you gotta do is try in class to stay eligible.  I mean you just need a what, 2.0 GPA to play in the NCAA?

I think its even less than a 2.0. I’m curious to what VT’s APR is for basketball and football.

13 minutes ago, Djmooreforthescore said:

Strong pass , tell me the last time a supplemental draft player was good?! And don't say Pryor . I'll be waiting .......

Gordon.

There have only been 43 Supplemental Draft picks in history.  But truthfully the hit rate looks just as high or dare I say higher than the regular draft when considering Rounds 1-7.  Kosar, Carter, Mike Wahle, Ahmad Brooks, etc.

im a hokie fan, but dude isn't worth. even outside of academic, he's had multiple issues with selling/distro pot. can't get his head out of that life. he's got the size, and athletic ability though. no point in giving away picks for a guy who can't stay on the field

11 minutes ago, Djmooreforthescore said:

Gordon has talent , but I wouldn't say he worked out because of his off the field issues . 

Any 2nd Rounder that makes 1st team All-Pro at any point is a win and a hit.  

Not to mention that he’s amazingly still on his rookie deal/salary due to bonkers technicalities.

1 hour ago, stbugs said:

No, it’s not. 6 years with 3000 yards and 15TDs isn’t a hit for a 2nd rounder, especially 600 yards and 1 TD in the last 4 years.

57 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Yeah, can’t call Gordon a success. He has too 5 NFL WR talent, but his constant suspensions = fail.

Not sure what the actual percentage is of 2nd Round picks that make 1st team All-Pro, but it’s obviously low.

Not to mention, he’s still got trade value!  With his salary, the Browns could get a nice return now or mid-season by shipping him to a contender on his salary.

I would put down a 2nd.  Hurney sucks at 2nd round picks so this would be a good use of that pick.

His issue stems from his Freshman year and I guess he didn't have the GPA.  Or so the article mentions.

Here is the article from Saturday

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000935414/article/adonis-alexander-to-apply-for-2018-nfl-supplemental-draft

Supplemental draft picks happen very few and far between in general, not just for us.

There's always a lot of "maybe this guy" talk but it hardly ever happens.

Most often, if a team is actually interested, they'll just gamble on signing them as a free agent.

10 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Lol at giving a 2nd or a 3rd for this guy. Oh, he was a top CB prospect before staying in school. I don’t recall him at all. Ronnie Harrison was almost universally a late 1st round pick pre-combine/draft workouts and a far superior prospect to this guy and he went in the 3rd. 

Exactly. If we were willing to use next year’s 3rd, should have traded up for Justin Reid and had a Safety ready to play day one. This is too big a gamble for top 100 picks. 

That being said, I would do a lot of work on him. As others have said, he’s a Safety. He’s going to put on more weight. I can see a 215 lb. SS who can eliminate TEs. But it all depends on his football IQ and many things we don’t know. I’d throw a 4th on the ability but that’s without knowledge of his red flags. A late 4th has very little value anyway. 

Archived