• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Sugar coating RBs, CJ lead back

Just now, KillerKat said:

Yeah he needs to be getting the bulk no matter what CJ did last season.  Top 10 pick in their 2nd season needs to shine.

This. I think he and Anderson can be great compliments to one another but I’ll definitely be disappointed if CMC isn’t the featured RB.

15 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Worst OL by what measure?

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ol

This has them ranked as a top 10 run blocking OL.

Perhaps, but CJ was still probably the lone bright spot in their abysmal offense last year. He has had some injury concerns in the past which has affected his bottom line so to speak, but calling him a JAG just doesn't cut the mustard. He's been a good back. 

By the way, teams let good backs get away. Indeed they let good football players get away due to many reasons, especially fit and economics all the time. 

11 minutes ago, top dawg said:

Perhaps, but CJ was still probably the lone bright spot in their abysmal offense last year. He has had some injury concerns in the past which has affected his bottom line so to speak, but calling him a JAG just doesn't cut the mustard. He's been a good back. 

By the way, teams let good backs get away. Indeed they let good football players get away due to many reasons, especially fit and economics all the time. 

Call t what you want, but the NFL has determined he’s a JAG. Denver let him walk with no answer on the roster and then drafted a RB in the 3rd. Anderson hit the open market and landed a contract that makes him the #34 paid RB in the NFL. For reference, that puts him below Jonathan Stewart. Now, I absolutely think we got a solid value in him and that Gettleman overpaid and over the hill Stew, but it is what it is. The market determined Anderson’s value and it wasn’t much. Like I said earlier, he’s a good backup/marginal starter. I think he’ll be a good compliment to CMC but it’ll be a huge disappointment if CMC isn’t getting the bulk of the snaps.

I mean, I remember Anderson accruing tough yards against our talented defense in Super Bowl 50. It was really him that put the nail in the coffin  I guess that's what JAGs do...

:eyeroll:

No harm in playing behind Anderson, not that it really matters. C-Mac is going to eat, and everyone knows it.

Denver didn’t win that game on offense. They had less than 200 yards of total offense. Anderson averaged less than 4ypc despite having a 34 yard carry early on.

The guy hit the open market after a 1000 yard season and netted the #34 RB contract. It’s the only argument I need, Sean.

If CMC is the main back it will be disappointing and show we have not evolved offensively. CJ was brought in for a reason. More than solid at what he does and should be the lead back. That’s said, CMC is not just a back and should not be used as such; if he is, he is being used incorrectly. We must evolve and get out of this mindset CMC is only a behind the LOS kind of player, he is most certainly is not. 

2 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I understand what he is

i just dont understand how he was number 8 in the draft   Just another questionable pick by the Panthers at that slot

just being honest. 

I have every hope and belief that this season will change your mind.

5 hours ago, hepcat said:

I have a feeling Anderson gets a lot of early down work, with McCaffrey the 3rd down back and change of pace guy, but I could be wrong. McCaffrey lined up all over the field last year so it's anyone's guess what Turner has in store for him.

I see a similar strategy that Norv used in SD with Tomlinson and Sproles

I think CJ and CMC will be a perfect compliment to one another.  I agree getting CMC the ball in space is important but letting him go between the tackles now and then is a good thing.   D'Will wasn't a power back either but had some great runs between the tackles.   

I kind of look at this as a better version of double trouble.  If CJ can provide that power and CMC with the slashing will make it hard for teams week in and week out.  

I like what we have RB wise.  

8 hours ago, MadHatter said:

I see a similar strategy that Norv used in SD with Tomlinson and Sproles

I hope CMC is much more productive than Sproles was but then again Anderson is not the HOF back that LT was. That would be a step back for him as Sproles wasn't doing a ton then.

13 hours ago, raleigh-panther said:

I understand what he is

i just dont understand how he was number 8 in the draft   Just another questionable pick by the Panthers at that slot

just being honest. 

He's worth that pick because of the match up problem he brings. McCaffrey is better than any LB in this league running routes. Shula used him horribly last year and that's why you question the pick. Hopefully a revamped system will use both Newton and McCaffrey better. 

14 hours ago, Woodie said:

If he becomes what he can and should become, you won't be questioning why he was taken #8 for long.  I watched a lot of him at Stanford, and I can honestly say that I believe when all is said and done, he will be regarded as the best back from last year's class, and well worth a top ten pick.  

While he may never be a 2000 yard rusher, I think he'll end up a 2000-2500 all purpose yards player for us...which any team would gladly give a top ten pick for.  And that doesn't even include how he effects the way the defense plays and reacts against us...we saw several instances last year where he pulled defenders which freed up other guys to make a play.  I'm really bullish on him, if you can't tell.  

I really hope you are right 

i want him to succeed  maybe Norm fixes his usage  

Still, number 8 for a Julian Edelman type player is pretty steep given the massive other needs on the lines of this team and depth concerns at linebacker and  starting secondary ..for a running back who is poor in the hips and thighs 

Archived