• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Steve Smith and Depression

ellis

The negative stigma dealing with mental illness and pursuing avenues to improve one’s lifebis one of the things that need to change

all this about PC and equal rights is fantastic, but i feel there is a lot of ignorance and negativity towards people who need help in that aspect. Its like people are forced to keep it a secret and deal with it silently because they are ashamed of their situation

even drug addicts. Thats a mental health problem not a criminal one. 

17 minutes ago, The Huddler said:

The negative stigma dealing with mental illness and pursuing avenues to improve one’s lifebis one of the things that need to change

all this about PC and equal rights is fantastic, but i feel there is a lot of ignorance and negativity towards people who need help in that aspect. Its like people are forced to keep it a secret and deal with it silently because they are ashamed of their situation

even drug addicts. Thats a mental health problem not a criminal one. 

If a person commits murder, during a psychotic episode that they have sought help for, is it a mental health problem or a criminal one? 

Depression is likely being attributed to every day feelings any more. Much like the ADHD craze of the 1990's, pharmaceutical companies have found a new ailment that they can pay for, while receiving an inordinate amount of orders. The best treatment options, and ones that likely aren't pursued at a high enough level, is therapy. Take away a therapists ability to write prescriptions and i'm sure the quality of care will get better in regards to mental health outcomes. 

I think every player should have a physiological adviser or shrink of some kind. With the amount of money spent on each player, even the practice squad players I see no reason why they shouldn’t be mentally evaluated and have someone to talk to about their psychological problem.

imagine if players like Vince Young had someone to help them through the mentally tough adjustment to the NFL. Lots of players have problems adjusting to the popularity and stress. Lots of these players being drafted are basically kids and all of a sudden they are handed millions of dollars and given lots of responsibility with millions of people watching their every move.

35 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

If a person commits murder, during a psychotic episode that they have sought help for, is it a mental health problem or a criminal one? 

Depression is likely being attributed to every day feelings any more. Much like the ADHD craze of the 1990's, pharmaceutical companies have found a new ailment that they can pay for, while receiving an inordinate amount of orders. The best treatment options, and ones that likely aren't pursued at a high enough level, is therapy. Take away a therapists ability to write prescriptions and i'm sure the quality of care will get better in regards to mental health outcomes. 

Its both

if you are truly psychotic you cant help it.  

41 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Therapists can't write scripts. PhD psychologists in some states can write scripts for psychotropic medication, but otherwise it is a medical doctor or psychiatrist. The reality is most people on depression medication are not receiving therapy and most scripts are written by family physicians who have little to no mental health training except for what they picked up along the way. 

Archived