• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

on the matt kalil massive sack on the cam 3 step drop

Saca312

Just now, KillerKat said:

I don't understand why this is so hard to understand for some people. Of course he's going to hold it "a little too long" since Matt didn't do his job and his man disrupted the play.

A lot of it looks like Cam having little faith in Matt Kalil to execute a good cut-block. Plus the fact he has Quinn still in said throwing lane and how quick he is I don’t blame the hesitation whatsoever.

25 minutes ago, Saca312 said:

A lot of it looks like Cam having little faith in Matt Kalil to execute a good cut-block. Plus the fact he has Quinn still in said throwing lane and how quick he is I don’t blame the hesitation whatsoever.

One thing Cam has to remember is that on plays like this, if it's initially not open, then either take off or throw the ball out of bounds. Plays like these, which are similar to screens, you can't make reads, there's no time. The play design is such that you have a couple of options and if one isn't available you have to take the other. Cam is trying to make a third thing happen.

Every QB gets sacked, it's a part of the game. Give the defense credit. They stopped Cam initial read and made him hold on to it. The offense job is to then "adjust" moving forward.

That 2nd sack was all on Kalil though. Cam got blind-sided which is dangerous.

2 minutes ago, stbugs said:

Agreed. I actually think there was a lane when he first looks where Quinn has his hands down coming off the ground.

That said, I can’t remember if it was last year or 2016 when a team we played that mauled Cam played Eli the next week. I’m not saying Eli was better because they got beat worse than us but Eli didn’t get sacked. Same amount of pressure but as soon as he knew the play was dead he threw it away avoiding a sack and a hit. You see it a lot on screens where QBs throw the ball at someone’s feet willing to take an incompletion. Cam threw one out of bounds on one play but he still spun out of two almost hits to get the ball off. If he didn’t make great moves (and sometimes he doesn’t get away) he loses more than 10 yards and the drive is already over.

I’m not excusing Kalil, he’s got to do better. Two other guys who’ve got way less experience had no issues. 

That's a good point, if I'm not mistaken Cam could have thrown it at CMC feet to get rid of it. Maybe Norv can make that a point of emphasis.

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

In his presser, Cam pretty much says that it was his fault and he should’ve gotten it out quicker. It’s no biggie, as sacks happen.

Kalil looked horrible, but this particular play wasn’t all on him.

Also lets give Cam a little credit 8/10 QB's would NOT have been able to hold on to that ball. Getting sacked sucks but getting strip sacked will kill games(SB 50).

2 hours ago, KillerKat said:

"Dammit Cam you should've just thrown it right in Quinn's hands so that I can criticize you for the interception instead of the hesitation" 

The other team makes plays too. If everyone is covered you throw it away. 

1 hour ago, AggieLean said:

In his presser, Cam pretty much says that it was his fault and he should’ve gotten it out quicker. It’s no biggie, as sacks happen.

Kalil looked horrible, but this particular play wasn’t all on him.

Preseason and things like that happen. Got to shake the rust off. 

25 minutes ago, Snake said:

Preseason and things like that happen. Got to shake the rust off. 

There's definitely some rust but Kalil just has awful feet. Quinn makes his money by making OTs get wide and has probably seen his fair share of chops. That was a terrible MU.

That being said I do think Cam should've gotten off his read quicker at the very least, but it's preseason and that's all about trail and error.

Archived