• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Kalil dealing with knee injury

jamos14

I wouldn't mind kicking the tires on Tyrus Thompson. He was the LT at OU during Daryl Williams' time there and was nearly universally considered the more talented of the two. Plenty of rumors swirled about work ethic concerns leading up to the draft. We just happen to have a guy who should be able to provide great insight on Thompson on and off the field. Hell, for all I know, Daryl might tell Hurney not to touch the guy with a 10 foot pol

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

If Kalil can't go, we're probably looking at a year of Moton learning the left tackle position.  He can probably do it, but that could be a bumpy road.

If you wanna be optimistic, his succeeding there would set us up with a decent "bookend" situation if we can keep Williams on the right, but Williams is a free agent next year and was speculated to be something other than affordable, so...

Yeah this is the best solution. Get an emergency starter on the right, even if Moton gets killed at LT he'd be primed and ready to replace Williams next year. Emergency RT becomes depth if he get him for a couple . LT is the #1 draft priority regardless.

3 minutes ago, MechaZain said:

Yeah this is the best solution. Get an emergency starter on the right, even if Moton gets killed at LT he'd be primed and ready to replace Williams next year. Emergency RT becomes depth if he get him for a couple . LT is the #1 draft priority regardless.

Not necessarily if Moton shows progress at that spot.

If he's serviceable by the end of the year, that gives us more options.

I'm not sure we have to move Moton to the left side. I was watching a video from Brent Kollman, one of the better youtube scouts, and he was talking about how the LT position isn't as important as it once was.

What made the LT position so important originally was defenses use to put their best pass rusher at the right defensive end spot in order to attack the QBs blindside, therefore offenses began putting their best, most talented tackle on the left to combat the blindside attacker.

In recent years this has slowly changed. Defenses no longer (or not as much as they use to) put their best pass rusher at the right end spot to attack the blindside, they put that pass rusher against the weakest tackle in general. And that makes sense, why not have your best rusher attack the weakest link on the line? This weakest position has often been the right tackle because offenses are still thinking traditionally, placing the best tackle on the left. 

Examples of this is JJ Watt, who for the most part rushes from the Left end spot going up against right tackles, and as a result of going up against the "lesser" of the opposing teams tackles, he racks up sacks. Another example was Von Miller going against us in the superbowl, he spent the entire night (I believe) on the left end, going up against our right tackle at the time, Remmers. We remember what happened. Denver didnt line him up against Orr just so he can attack Cam's blindspot, they lined him across from our weakest link.

So the Eagles had two pretty good tackles last year. Jason Peters at left tackle and Lane Johnson at right tackle. When Peters went down for the year a curious thing happened, the Eagles decided against putting Johnson at LT like many thought, in order to protect Wentz blindside, instead they kept him at RT, because the best pass rushers they were to face was attacking that side. It paid off for them.

I say all that to say that we don't have to move Moton to LT if Kalil is out, especially if he's a lot more comfortable at RT. Yes, LT is technically the more important of the two because of the blideside factor, but it's not nearly as important as it once was, there's a lot of pass rushing talent at the left end spot nowadays.

4 minutes ago, emhoward said:

I say all that to say that we don't have to move Moton to LT if Kalil is out, especially if he's a lot more comfortable at RT. Yes, LT is technically the more important of the two because of the blideside factor, but it's not nearly as important as it once was, there's a lot of pass rushing talent at the left end spot nowadays.

Sure, defenses will move their best pass rusher to face our weakest link...so would you rather Newton see that coming or not? I don't know if moving Moton is the answer, but the blindside factor still applies.

Archived