• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bye Week

Pimpdaddy

...hate it. Is there  an advantage to when it happens, early or late int he season? Its early for us this year...it will be a long grind to the playoffs. Is it  strategic  for us to have a bye this early? ... TD coming back...Reid the new addition...possibly Samuel coming back...timing seems right. .... to be  fair...all teams should hit the bye after 8 weeks... Thoughts?

I don't think we will know until the end of the season how critical the early bye is/was.  My thoughts:

Pros: 

-Gives Greg Olsen another week to heal without a game.  Sounds like he is getting close to return

-Hopefully Trai Turner, Curtis Samuel, & Damiere Byrd will be back as well.  Major boost to offense

-Gives Eric Reid more time to get up to speed since it appears he will start Week 5

Cons:

-Rivera teams have not historically been good out of the bye 

-Our team is older by league standards, and this will be the last week off pending a 1st round bye in the playoffs

Neutral:

-TD still has another game suspended

-IR guys are ineligible for 8 games, not weeks

Overall, more positives than negatives IMO.  I think an early bye is beneficial this year, but I do wish it was a little later since this is the earliest the bye could have come.  

28 minutes ago, Pimpdaddy said:

...hate it. Is there  an advantage to when it happens, early or late int he season? Its early for us this year...it will be a long grind to the playoffs. Is it  strategic  for us to have a bye this early? ... TD coming back...Reid the new addition...possibly Samuel coming back...timing seems right. .... to be  fair...all teams should hit the bye after 8 weeks... Thoughts?

Ron said it was good timing for them this season given the injuries. We also have a Thursday game later that provides a mini bi week after that affords the players a small break.

It's all good and for the best this year 

1 minute ago, Moo Daeng said:

Ron said it was good timing for them this season given the injuries. We also have a Thursday game later that provides a mini bi week after that affords the players a small break.

It's all good and for the best this year 

hope it falls into place...

I like to think it’s in our favor.  Getting guys back from injury will help tremendously.  The grind on the older guys might be heavy but TD and Olsen aren’t playing full seasons anyway.   

I think Rivera has gotten better after the bye.  Also think the Reid signing will give us a spark coming out of the off week.  Team rejuvenation. 

Not a fan of the bye this early, for many reasons, although it could help us in the very short term this year.

Only pros are getting Samuel back, and Olsen having an extra week to get back out there, although that's not as important as in years past.

Cons...we are an older team, and there are a lot of weeks from now till the playoffs.  We don't really know who everyone else is yet, were is later in the season we would kinda know what the rest of the schedule looked like, and could change or add to the playbooks for a late season push.

12 hours ago, Seltzer said:

I don't think we will know until the end of the season how critical the early bye is/was.  My thoughts:

Pros: 

-Gives Greg Olsen another week to heal without a game.  Sounds like he is getting close to return

-Hopefully Trai Turner, Curtis Samuel, & Damiere Byrd will be back as well.  Major boost to offense

-Gives Eric Reid more time to get up to speed since it appears he will start Week 5

Cons:

-Rivera teams have not historically been good out of the bye 

-Our team is older by league standards, and this will be the last week off pending a 1st round bye in the playoffs

Neutral:

-TD still has another game suspended

-IR guys are ineligible for 8 games, not weeks

Overall, more positives than negatives IMO.  I think an early bye is beneficial this year, but I do wish it was a little later since this is the earliest the bye could have come.  

Panthers have won after the bye in 2015, 2016, 2017, so I don't see how "Rivera doesn't do well after the bye" is still a thing. And in any case, even if it were still true, an early or late bye is irrelevant.

Panthers had a week 4 bye in 2013. Lost following the bye but then went on a massive win streak to finish 12-4.

Panthers had a week 5 bye in 2015, beat Seattle out of the bye which gave a huge shot of confidence for the rest of the season.

Early bye gives guys on IR an extra "free" week to heal up before being brought back. 9 weeks of recovery time but only 8 games missed.

Gives the coaches a chance to evaluate, tweak things. Important especially for the defense, I think. New coordinators probably benefit from early evaluation 

Overall this year I'm pretty happy for the early bye.  About the only downside is that we potentially lose some of the momentum and great energy coming out of the win against Cincy, but I think the Reid signing helped ensure the energy and excitement will stay high. As will the incredible outpouring of love / support for Obada and recognition for CMC and Donte.  Lots of positive energy being directed towards the team right now 

Archived