• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Bye Week

Pimpdaddy

19 hours ago, Seltzer said:

I don't think we will know until the end of the season how critical the early bye is/was.  My thoughts:

Pros: 

-Gives Greg Olsen another week to heal without a game.  Sounds like he is getting close to return

-Hopefully Trai Turner, Curtis Samuel, & Damiere Byrd will be back as well.  Major boost to offense

-Gives Eric Reid more time to get up to speed since it appears he will start Week 5

Cons:

-Rivera teams have not historically been good out of the bye 

-Our team is older by league standards, and this will be the last week off pending a 1st round bye in the playoffs

Neutral:

-TD still has another game suspended

-IR guys are ineligible for 8 games, not weeks

Overall, more positives than negatives IMO.  I think an early bye is beneficial this year, but I do wish it was a little later since this is the earliest the bye could have come.  

Very well put... Usually hate the early bye. This year I think it’s huge. Mainly bcuz of the injuries. Helps Pep get another week of recovery which only helps as well. 

Defintely big for Reid being able to get into the playbook watch some film.

Players & coaches seem to view Thursday games as a mini bye. So that could be huge for us down the road. 

2 hours ago, Sevy87 said:

Helps Pep get another week of recovery which only helps as well. 

Yes, I think that's an underrated sentiment.

I didn't realize until Panther Talk with Peppers earlier this week that he's NEVER had surgery before in his whole career.  So the whole rehab process for him is a new experience.  Makes sense that he and the trainers etc. have been taking it a bit slow in getting him back in the game.

Is it just me or do the Panthers always seem to get a really early bye?

Research shows they do. Since 1995 they've had a bye week in week 3 or 4....9 times in 24 seasons!

Week 3: 4 (1996, 1998, 2003, 2004)

Week 4: 5 (1995, 2000, 2009, 2013, 2018)

Week 5: 2 (1999, 2015) 

Week 6: 3(1997, 2010, 2012)

Week 7: 3 (2005, 2007, 2016)

Week 9: 4 (2002, 2006, 2008, 2011)

Week 11: 1 (2017) 

Week 12: 1 (2014) 

Week 14: 1 (2001) 

Archived