• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Eric Reid being a distraction

Panthers are a small market with a team friendly media. If Reid plays well then it’s going to be a non-issue. It’s sad but the national media has moved on from kneeling etc. It’s like any other story to them..once it fizzles a little bit they  stop writing about it. Doesn’t mean positive change can’t still happen but it’s not gonna happen with weekly stories.

1 hour ago, Mr. Scot said:

The story as told by Hurney and Rivera was that they ran it past Tepper for approval, but the idea started with them.

I tend to try and believe these things unless I have a reason not to.

I am going to align with you here. I want to believe these things as well. On the adverse though, I do wonder if this is a begining to Tepper getting involved in the talent acquisition process.

not saying he will be, but jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder have proven this does not result in victories. 

I think Reid was a splash move encouraged (not decided) by Tepper. I think it will be good move, as long as Reid wants to be apart of the family. 

Just now, TheCasillas said:

I am going to align with you here. I want to believe these things as well. On the adverse though, I do wonder if this is a begining to Tepper getting involved in the talent acquisition process.

not saying he will be, but jerry Jones and Daniel Snyder have proven this does not result in victories. 

I think Reid was a splash move encouraged (not decided) by Tepper. I think it will be good move, as long as Reid wants to be apart of the family. 

I like to think he is just super freaking excited to actually own an NFL team that he is going crazy with everything right now and is hands on with everything. I don’t blame him. I mean I know I sure as hell I would be, but eventually he will settle in and be more relaxed about it.

Also so far it seems to be hands on in a really good way but that can always morph to being hands on in a bad way which I’m banking on him being smart to realize is a bad idea.

2 hours ago, nogoodbum said:

Distractions have been a dime a dozen for the Panthers the past few years. Yet, the team has preformed thru, especially last year. This season will be no different or better. Keep the faith.

More often than not, the distractions haven't mattered.  And I don't think this one will. But we did play poorly the weekend after the Charlotte Riots.  Of course, this distraction is nowhere near the level of that one.  

10 minutes ago, Bartin said:

I like to think he is just super freaking excited to actually own an NFL team that he is going crazy with everything right now and is hands on with everything. I don’t blame him. I mean I know I sure as hell I would be, but eventually he will settle in and be more relaxed about it.

Also so far it seems to be hands on in a really good way but that can always morph to being hands on in a bad way which I’m banking on him being smart to realize is a bad idea.

I totally agree. The only thing to consider if this was Tepper’s decision and it works out to be a good one, does Tepper ride the wave and continue?

2 minutes ago, TheCasillas said:

I totally agree. The only thing to consider if this was Tepper’s decision and it works out to be a good one, does Tepper ride the wave and continue?

If it were me I sure as hell would but then back off once I failed. So that would be my expectation for him. After all he does come from hedge funds where making big gambles is a thing.

1 hour ago, unicar15 said:

Panthers are a small market with a team friendly media. If Reid plays well then it’s going to be a non-issue. It’s sad but the national media has moved on from kneeling etc. It’s like any other story to them..once it fizzles a little bit they  stop writing about it. Doesn’t mean positive change can’t still happen but it’s not gonna happen with weekly stories.

That's because it was a media created thing.  Nobody cared until then.

Believe what you want, but I guarantee you there was a conversation about him NOT being a distraction. What he does on his time off is his business as long as it's not illegal or violate team rules. What he does on the field is the Panthers business. 53+ players have that many different views on political and social issues. 

4 hours ago, Moo Daeng said:

Ball was let go because he sucked.  We signed him to the practice squad after he alleged to be cut for an Anthem gesture.He was let go by SF and Jags within that season too. Hes been in Canada since.

The Boston timeline makes no sense either. He was a Charger last season. We signed Torrey Smith during the only time period possible for him to be resigned. They cut him because the coaches didnt want him.

From a guy with better sources than you (Link)

And for the record, some of our resident board insiders heard the same thing.

Richardson had a deeply patriarchal view of his football team, and it reflected in the transactions they made. To call the Panthers conservative understates the case profoundly. Richardson bragged to Charlie Rose (in a visual made ironic given each of their future public humiliations) about No. 1 overall pick Cam Newton not being allowed to get tattoos. A fringe player (defensive back Marcus Ball) mysteriously disappeared from the roster after raising his fist last September at the peak of anti-Donald Trump sentiment. Defensive end Julius Peppers stayed in the locker room that day in his own silent protest, but since he’s a future Hall-of-Famer, he remains employed.

Archived