• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best kicker in franchise history

Randolph Panther

7 minutes ago, KSpan said:

I didn't take anything away from Kasay and Kasay choked sometimes too... are you forgetting that same Super Bowl? Does Carolina get to the Super Bowl in 2015 without Gano and his multiple game-winners? 

Pretty sure Kasay was never in a situation where his head coach decided he'd rather punt from the 35.

You can put that on Rivera, but it's not like Gano hasn't done some things to lose trust.

63 yard field goals are legend,...Gano wrote his name for sure,..

But to anoint him better than John Kasay who was around for many years,..won us many games,.. Jeez I remember games where he won us by kicking 5 field goals.  The Superbowl kicking out of bounds on the game winning drive was a total bumber burned forever,.. but ultimately the Panthers could have stopped the drive too. Anyway,.. Gano is a far cry and many game winning fieldgoals from being John Kasay,..

But I am rooting for him to be better than John Kasay,..

1 minute ago, Smithers said:

You must not have been a fan when Kasay played here.  Gano isn’t even close to JK.

Fan since '95. Kasay is a franchise cornerstone, Gano has earned the edge on the field. Is it the same heresy to say that Luke or TD are better Carolina LBs than Mills?

6 minutes ago, KSpan said:

Fan since '95. Kasay is a franchise cornerstone, Gano has earned the edge on the field. Is it the same heresy to say that Luke or TD are better Carolina LBs than Mills?

Mills is an NFL great, not necessarily an all time Panthers great.  He was here from 95-97...at the end of a long and great career.  Can’t really compare him to Luke or TD.

15 minutes ago, Smithers said:

Mills is an NFL great, not necessarily an all time Panthers great.  He was here from 95-97...at the end of a long and great career.  Can’t really compare him to Luke or TD.

Thus why I said 'Carolina LBs', which is what is being discussed with Kasay and Gano.

Kasay never needed a 2nd kicker to light a fire under his ass because he was so terrible. Only time we needed an extra kicker with Kasay here is for kickoffs and the punter couldn't do them as well. Kasay's FG kicking was too reliable to cut him. Just about every year for Gano everyone, including the coaches, have had wavering confidence in Gano. Remember when Rivera chose to punt from the opponents territory instead of kicking a FG a few seasons ago? Confidence in Kasay was never an issue. Everyone believed in him.

Archived