• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

3rd Q. Cam last second decides not to throw a wide open TD.

Saca312

10 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

I’m not even going to do this with you today so if sh!tting on Cam is your new shtick because you’re not getting enough attention on this board by all means continue doing you, I’ll let someone else deal with you if they want.

hahaha. Didn't expect that you would carry this into today.

Grow up man, and talk football. Your blind eye to recognizing Cam didn't play his best football Sunday is nothing I would expect from you.

I am not shitting on Cam, I am pointing out he had a bad day. Take it personal, if you want.

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

Looks like  was anticipating the defender coming that BEAT Clark around the edge and made a last minute decision to pull it down. Thats my take. 

I thought this same thing, but he still has his eyes up when he steps up. It's all split second so it's tough to say. 

However, I just think back to the bears game where the play was almost identical and Cam was able to throw it up to Steve Smith for him to come down with the ball and score.

2 minutes ago, TheRed said:

Didn't seem to have an issue throwing lasers up and down the field opposite Brees in the playoffs last season.

To my recollection there weren't a lot of deep balls that game. Cam was laser focused and dropping dimes but his deep ball wasn't there. The only one I can think of is the last pass to Funch down the sidelines, which was a beauty, but that's the only real deep throw I can remember. 

1 minute ago, TheCasillas said:

I thought this same thing, but he still has his eyes up when he steps up. It's all split second so it's tough to say. 

However, I just think back to the bears game where the play was almost identical and Cam was able to throw it up to Steve Smith for him to come down with the ball and score.

Trust

9 minutes ago, My Goodness My Guinness said:

I also think he's been scarred from the past two seasons of O-line play where he probably thought someone was about to sack him from behind. I have a feeling he will get settled in as the season progresses. 

valid point here

The All-22 reveals a lot of possibilities, but the Cam's eye view (if we had it) would probably give us a better idea of realities. A defender's hand or helmet might have blocked his line of sight for a moment or two, or he may have been looking to see if a safety was lurking and missed his chance in that split second.

QBs have to make so many decisions in such a short window of time, it amazes me that they ever make the right one. It wasn't Cam's best or even one of his better games, but we survived and he'll do better next week.

2 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Obviously it’s a throw he needs to make when you simply look at the play. 

However, once you take into account the fact we were leading, the fact it’s been drilled into his head this year to “play it safe”, the fact they took next to no downfield shots all day up to this point... It all weighs in on his decision making.

I think the downfield stuff is coming. I think Norv is learning who he can trust and the young guys seem to be leading the pack. #10 can get downfield in a hurry I think there are only so many plays you get the opportunity to run and when it's working you gotta keep at it.

Norv is a Coryell school coach but he's got so many talented guys who are these hybrid WR/RB with such easy play making ability Cam can check down into what can turn into a 50yrd play.

The vets will quickly become mentors/backups. #22, #12, #10 need to be fed the ball. They've got some great talent bubbling up from the last couple drafts.

#12 is indeed ol' 89's spirit animal. I see the greatness in DJ. Don't regret that pick one bit.

The fugged up part is Cam was like 7 of 9 passing in the first half and looked sharp. Then went 14 of 26 with two interceptions in the second half with lots of missed opportunities. As he said himself, it was a sub-par performance. Good teams pull out wins even when they are far from their best. Good win, on to Washington.

Archived