• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

pff is still trying to sell the narrative cam is inaccurate and bad

Saca312

looks like PFF is getting triggered over Cam Newton having success so they resort to slander and anger on their rant against him...turning against all their old arguments with Cam’s stats by now saying they’re irrelevant.

They really love hating on Cam and worshipping their metrics that have large flaws.

Yeah, it's pretty hilarious watching folks who've always pointed at stats to defend their terrible takes on Cam resort to screaming and flailing on camera like a Fox News talk show host. Cam's low completion percentage was never reflective of his accuracy, we've been a low volume passing offense and a lot of those throws were basically 50/50 by design. Now that we're using a more modern offense substituting short throws for runs, he's getting the requisite boost in completion percentage that most of his contemporaries have had.

Anyone see “Trouble with the Curve”?

the PFF owner IS the young idiot GM of the Braves in the movie that manages with numbers only, and has no insight of anything behind the numbers,..

ill be the first one to say metrics do have a place in everything,.. but people are not machines, both on the players they try to metric out and the people trying to make these magic Gattaca equations of whose who by the numbers.

in the end,.. the eye and ear test, the X Factor that can’t be quantified when players around someone play better, the defense playing better because their offense is playing better etc,.. those are more important today than metrics-

Case in point,.. there is a metric I quoted from a Chip Kelly metric he got from money ball number crunchers about going for it on 4th down and the chances of winning the game going up regardless of the outcome,..

Phily outclassed us last week and went for it several times in the first few quarters and made it, we didn’t.

the metric say they should have won that game,..

that means the metric is made by people and the metric is broken— again numbers don’t lie but people making and reporting the numbers lie like a MF

I flat out called them racist. OH BUT HIS TIGHT WINDOW PERCENTAGE IS BAD. That's not all on him. Look at the quick slant TD's and tell me his tight window percentage is bad. fug these guys, i no longer support them AT ALL. Their stats are more meaningless than ESPN's attempt at their own QBR.

1 hour ago, JARROD said:

se is playing better etc,.. those are more important today than metrics-

Case in point,.. there is a metric I quoted from a Chip Kelly metric he got from money ball number crunchers about going for it on 4th down and the chances of winning the game going up regardless of the outcome,..

Phily outclassed us last week and went for it several times in the first few quarters and made it, we didn’t.

the metric say they should have won that game,..

Thaaaaaaaaaat's not exactly how probabilities work.

3 hours ago, FugAllY'all said:

Yeah, it's pretty hilarious watching folks who've always pointed at stats to defend their terrible takes on Cam resort to screaming and flailing on camera like a Fox News talk show host. Cam's low completion percentage was never reflective of his accuracy, we've been a low volume passing offense and a lot of those throws were basically 50/50 by design. Now that we're using a more modern offense substituting short throws for runs, he's getting the requisite boost in completion percentage that most of his contemporaries have had.

You misspelled CNN talk show hosts

1 hour ago, RumHam said:

I flat out called them racist. OH BUT HIS TIGHT WINDOW PERCENTAGE IS BAD. That's not all on him. Look at the quick slant TD's and tell me his tight window percentage is bad. fug these guys, i no longer support them AT ALL. Their stats are more meaningless than ESPN's attempt at their own QBR.

I deal with this constantly in my line of work.

Engineers, mathematicians, and scientists want to rely on the numbers and shrink the percentage of error. Then they want to claim the numbers from the sample size are accurate and we can trust in them with a .3% error or less.

Truth is quantified samples only account for 93% of the equation when you apply them to anything outside observable physical limitations. The other 7% is unbounded consciousness or impalpable energy.

That 7% we cannot perceive makes up 93% of everything.

So, whenever you deal with a human being in the simulated environment of data, The error can be anywhere from 7 to 10%.

So, if the stats tell you that going for it on 4th down is anything less than 80%, it is extremely risky since the negative impact will have a 13x impact on your team over a positive one.

This is where knowing how self-efficacy and group-efficacy work in your evaluations of an individual/group. A fairly easy example to look for in football is the team that goes up by 3 points in the game. The negative impact of going up by 3 points is much greater than the perceived 3 point lead on the board - unless it is in the last 4 minutes of the game. In the first 56 minutes of a game, it is more beneficial for a team to go for the TD than take the FG if the outcome of that FG is a 1 to 3 point lead. Also, a team is better off to kick the FG and tie the game than it is to score a TD if that TD would result in a 1 to 3 point lead.

Bertrand Russel wrote, "Science may set limits to knowledge, but should not set limits to imagination."

I have mastered this little known and rarely applied universal concept. This is why I am good at evaluating talent/skill, assessing risk, and growing value.

For the Huddle that loves to Huddle, Bertrand Russell wrote, "The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts."

PFF sells it's product based on data science while ignoring the immense human component in sports. However, people who do not want to think will run to their information and throw around the stats like they are Newton's laws of motion.

Archived